Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Removals
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Removals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonnyW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Removals Reply with quote

Confused I have read about this previously and I am still convinced that some people are sending requests into PGPSW to have "safety" Rolling Eyes Cameras removed from the database. I drive a stretch on the A1 in the North East of England and this stretch of road has 4 Fixed Gatsos which have been there for years.

When I download and install the latest Speed Camera Databases, at least one of these will have been removed. There are two of these cameras which have been set alight :D but they are STILL IN USE albeit a little cooked.

I have re-added these to a POI file (and now of course... POI Capture) and sent them in, they have been re-added to the database(s) but only to find either that camera (or another) one has been removed.

I know the location of these cameras as I use the road twice a day so I am cautious but I fear other people may fall victim to these cash cows! Evil or Very Mad

I have another POI file which I use to log "Police Presence". Whenever I see a Traffic Car hiding in the undergrowth or in a sneaky location, I add the GPS position to this POI and set a 800 yard alert so I get around a 1/2 mile warning of their prying eyes :D !! I've around one of the locations, the speed camera was removed from the database and so there would be no warning for the driver and his/her speed will be maintained (I am not suggesting they would be speeding though Wink ) and the traffic car can nab them.

Call me paranoid if you wish but I have noticed this happening over a 2-3 month period.

I still reckon the police are removing these cameras. I am convinced of it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A serious point. I've also noticed the odd camera location disappearing off the database.
I just add it back onto the list I send to the camera guys each month (with a note in the email mentioning that it is an existing one).

On a lighter note, for "Speed Camera Removals", I would recommend an angle grinder. Wink
JonnyW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

I just add it back onto the list I send to the camera guys each month (with a note in the email mentioning that it is an existing one).

I don't know if this would be possible (I would probably volunteer) but to create an Excel spreadsheet and drop all the REMOVALS onto it along with the email address of the sender. When there are say 2 or 3 requests from DIFFERENT people, the request it is ACTUALLY REMOVED from the database.

This way, it ensures that no one person is being malicious and removing the cameras for the same of removing them.

As for the angle grinder idea?... Wink It will certainly PERMINANTLY remove the damned things !!
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyW wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

I don't know if this would be possible (I would probably volunteer) but to create an Excel spreadsheet and drop all the REMOVALS onto it along with the email address of the sender. When there are say 2 or 3 requests from DIFFERENT people, the request it is ACTUALLY REMOVED from the database.

This way, it ensures that no one person is being malicious and removing the cameras for the same of removing them.

As for the angle grinder idea?... Wink It will certainly PERMINANTLY remove the damned things !!

I am sure Oldboy will be along soon to tell you that is what he does. Past posts have confirmed that cameras are not removed because of just one report.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I am sure Oldboy will be along soon to tell you that is what he does. Past posts have confirmed that cameras are not removed because of just one report.

I'll bet he won't. :D It's Oldie who does the maintenance.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
peterc10 wrote:

Thanks Tim. You beat me to it .Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or not, anymore?
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the camera removal could be combined with the new chargable model to split the database into three releases.

Release 1 is free, and contains the current database as is - additions and removals suggested by the public.

Release 2 is free and is a conservative database, which has public additions but only official removals - so it would contain old or obselete camera's, but would still be useful for occasional drivers, or those who worry about fake removals.

Release 3 is chargable, and is the verified and professional database for professional drivers who need the security of a verified database ?

Just a thought ?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
peterc10 wrote:

Oops Embarassed Embarassed

I plead insanity or senile dementia.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: