Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Rider - how to disable 'Drive Mode'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Rider - how to disable 'Drive Mode'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: TomTom Rider - how to disable 'Drive Mode' Reply with quote

Phase 1:

Get some sticky tape (use your teeth or get some scissors for cutting said tape - totally up to you)

Phase 2:

Cover the 4 little pins that are part of the wiring system that would provide power from the motorbike battery.

Phase 3:

Put up with having to recharge the TomTom between journeys until such time as somebody comes up with a way of wiring the TomTom Rider to the motorbike battery while still disabling the mount sensor.

Drive mode is probably a good idea for those people who are still learning how to ride their motorcycles, or those that only ride for the sake of trying to get their pegs on the ground. From a commuting point of view, Drive Mode is the stupidest thing that TomTom could possibly have come up with as a 'mandatory' feature.

The mount that comes with the TomTom Rider has some electronics in it which when the Rider is placed into the mount lets the Rider know that it is in the 'motorcycle' mount and thereby goes into 'Drive Mode' whenever the Rider either a) hasn't got a satellite fix, or b) has a fix and knows the bike is moving.

Personally I haven't got around to pulling either the Rider or the mount apart, as I'm sure that will void my warranty. I'm sure either myself or somebody else will eventually get a round tuit and come up with a better plan that will allow the motorbike battery to power/recharge the Rider whilst still disabling Drive Mode until such time as TomTom get the clue they are missing and give us the option to disable Drive Mode if we so wish to.

If anybody else does feel like giving the electronics side (of the mount preferably - I'd rather not touch the Rider itself) a looksie at and can tell us how to disable the sensor properly, please do tell! I'm more than willing to follow instructions and then get myself one of the aforementioned round tuits and then wire in the battery cable....

It turns out its a good thing the Rider has a battery afterall ;)

Apologies if you are reading this message on multiple different TomTom sites - not everybody reads every sites forums, and this is information that I know a lot of TomTom Rider users want to know...
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried isolating individual pins? I'm looking into this over the weekend to see if I can fool it into still charging the unit whilst not going into 'drive' (should this be 'Ride', I wonder?) mode.
Keba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Have you tried isolating individual pins? I'm looking into this over the weekend to see if I can fool it into still charging the unit whilst not going into 'drive' (should this be 'Ride', I wonder?) mode.

TomTom called it 'Drive Mode' - I'd call it 'Dummy Mode' myself.

3 of the pins appear to do something, and one doesn't - if I recall correctly its pos/nothing/neg/pos, with the righthand two neg/pos linked when the TomTom isn't in the mount.

I'm guessing they hide the transformer from 12v down to 5v (not sure if its actually 5v) inside the mount itself hence it will need to be taken apart and played with to really figure out what the deal is. Will void the warranty on the mount no doubt, and could possibly blow up the Rider if done incorrectly...

Taping over either of the pos pins by themselves didn't disable the drive mode detector - hence my current workaround of covering all 4 pins and just charging the Rider whilst at work or at home if needed - thankfully my journeys aren't long enough to even hint at using up the battery significantly - it would suck from a touring point of view though, thats for sure.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they can determine the speed the bike it travelling at a more sensible approach would have been to activate Drive mode over a certain speed Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TazUk wrote:
As they can determine the speed the bike it travelling at a more sensible approach would have been to activate Drive mode over a certain speed Confused

Hmm, someone could use it while filtering through traffic at 20 MPH but not at 70 MPH on the motorway?

Nope, they should just have an option to switch it off. It won't be long before someone works out which pin on the connector you have to put gaffer tape over to prevent the Rider knowing it's on a bike.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Hmm, someone could use it while filtering through traffic at 20 MPH but not at 70 MPH on the motorway?

Who said about making the limit 20mph 8O

I can operate TTN5 on my PDA whilst driving at 120Mph down the motorway, doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to do it ;)
kragbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Apology and question Reply with quote

So sorry Keba - the forum icons weren't showing up in my browser so I was trying to guess where the 'post reply' button was. Just realised I must have hit the pm by mistake - TWICE! Embarassed

The question is for the whole forum (if I'm still allowed to post Laughing ).

So what is 'drive mode' & how does it alter the operation of TT Rider that so annoys everyone ?

I use TT5 on PDA in car and am desparate (well, not necessarily £700 desparate) to get sat nav for my bike. However, if TT rider has such a seemingly critical flaw I will avoid.

Cheers - andrew
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What drive mode is that it restricts the standard menu options on Tomtom to only 4 choices . It appears that this comes into action when your speed is somewhere above 10 or 15 mph. Its not a bad idea cos when your riding the smallest distractions can be dangerous.

But of course if you make these safety decisions for us mandatory we get up in arms about it
Twisted Evil

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
What drive mode is that it restricts the standard menu options on Tomtom to only 4 choices . It appears that this comes into action when your speed is somewhere above 10 or 15 mph.

I thought it was activated when the Rider is attached to the mounting bracket Confused This would prevent you from changing things even when stationary 8O
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chatting to the owner that was trialing one at the basingstoke meet he did say that it seemed to be speed related but only happens when in the bike mount

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly only happen when in the mount. I've had it sat on the passenger seat of my car many a time and I always got the full menu, even when moving 'at speed'.

I also get the full menu when it's in the bike mount and I am stationary and I have a satellite fix.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the complaint about it then Confused
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The complaint is that TomTom have imposed a 'Safety' screen on PTWs that they haven't imposed on car drivers. Just because we ride instead of drive, do we need mollycoddling?
Keba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the main issue isn't that they attempted to force a decision on us, but that the options left whilst in Drive Mode are pathetic.

Having a 'drive mode' menu is a good idea - large buttons are good! So why not just change the entire menu system to the large buttons, rather than the current layout which is next to useless.

Unless of course you changed your mind about where you were driving to and want to just go 'home' - the 'recent destination' option is indeed the option you are already aiming at otherwise :/

One of the posters on mytomtomgo has come up with a fully tested solution for disabling the drive mode while still using the standard mount - http://www.mytomtomgo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4217 is the link if anybody is interested - my abilities with sticky tape seems to be limited!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: