Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TomTom used a lot in the U.S.A.?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TomTom used a lot in the U.S.A.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Is TomTom used a lot in the U.S.A.? Reply with quote

I see that TomTom has maps of the U.S. But it seems like it specializes in Europe quite a bit. I was just concerned that the U.S. maps may not be up to the detail of the European ones. Any comments would be appreciated.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Is TomTom used a lot in the U.S.A.? Reply with quote

AFAIK the maps are pretty good, some people have complained about routing issues where they believe TomTom Navigator 2 will route them a longer route to the freeway, but it does really depend on how you have TomTom road speeds configured from what I hear.
user100
Occasional Visitor

Thanks
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Navigator 2 USA is a pretty new product - it's only been available a few weeks. TomTom Navigator 2, and, before it, TomTom Navigator, have been available in Europe for well over a year now.

As Dave says, it seems that the routing may not be completely perfect in the US yet. However, I haven't heard any complaints of major omissions from the maps.

David
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

I have been testing the TomTom US maps extensively, and at least for Texas they are relatively decent - about 1 to 3 years old. Some users in the east have complained that whole chunks of counties are missing, or that the recent highway renumbering in Pennsylvania went unnoticed by TeleAtlas. Which pretty much brings it to the point - TomTom is using TeleAtlas maps that are between 1 and x years old. Other programs use Navtech as the map provider, and again, maps are 1 to x years old. So from that perspective TomTom isn't any better or any worse than the competing applications. Where it makes a difference (and that difference is quite big) is the user experience. Americans are used to see very minimalistic maps - merely thin lines that leave you to guess what kind of road this may be. TomTom is more representing the european way of showing streets - outlined, in different width and colors. There are a lot of other interesting factors, but let's keep this thread focused. I think that over time more and more americans will appreciate the beauty and ease of use of applications like TomTom, and they will find it to be an extremely powerful tool that they can configure themselves (something mostly unheard of in american applications)

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

I'm using TTN2 (mostly in the Boston area) and while I'm very pleased with the application (I find it easy to follow on the screen and love the 3D view), I'm less pleased with the map data.

I was using another program that used NavTech data previously and it was definitely more up to date than TeleAtlas. Boston is difficult for a map company because so many roads are changing because of the big dig, but there are some glaring errors from roads that haven't changed in 10 years.

Still happy with it though, but think they would have done better to spend more on their map provider and get NavTech.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: