Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is Previous CP key code closed permanently after upgrading?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Previous CP key code closed permanently after upgrading?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Is Previous CP key code closed permanently after upgrading? Reply with quote

Just wondering, just one reason of being able to upgrade to CP6 was the ability to sell CP5 and get a little money back. But I have received an email by alk and they are saying:-

"Please note due to the special upgrade prices, we do need to close your previous CoPilot key code. "

Will this mean it won't be able to be activated again, or once I have CP6 activated I will be able to sell CP5?

Thanks

Steve
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the activation key for cp5 is closed after you do the upgrade and accept it this means if you have cp5 on machine at the moment then you can continue to use cp5 but if you have to reinstall cp5 after deactivating it then it will not activate

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought so, i did phone them up a short time ago and explained I would like to sell CP5 after upgrading, as they told me they could officially deactivate copilot5 for me ready for selling that is when I had upgraded to CP6 successfully, I had always assumed selling my old copilots was always possible.

Surely they could of gone about this another way, like you can only upgrade once with one product key

Thanks anyway alix776.

Steve
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this confirmed by ALK also, I actually tested it as well and the keycode is now non functional. They did not do it with the previous release as I actually sold my previous version after upgrading to CP5 which offset some of the financial pain!! I guess Alk have learnt from this. They claim that the upgrade to CP6 is such a good deal that there are justified in adopting this policy.
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BigH, They really don't try hard enough to keep their present customers, they don't reward them sufficiently. I need to upgrade to the European maps which will cost me £100, that is a lot of money as I have already had to pay this same amount to upgrade copilot 5 this year to get the European maps.

I was looking to get some money back. I was wondering if after I have upgraded I could sell the European upgrade on Ebay, that’s of course if Alk will agree only to deactivate it for me and not close it. Of course the U.K copilot 5 key code will have to be closed when I use that for an upgrade. What do you think?

Thanks

Steve
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I planned to do except I had only one keycode for all of europe. I guess you have two keycodes, one for UK and one for the euro upgrade. I would be surprised if you would get away with it as they will request both keycodes and deactivate them when you do the upgrade.

The only way to keep your CP 5 running is to install it on another PDA before you upgrade, as long as you don't have any hard resets it will continue to work. Unfortunatley if you want to move it later (or do a ROM upgrade) then you will lose it as it will not activate.

I thought this upgrade was too good to be true!!
splittail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey
Look on the bright side
if you cant sell co-pilot 5 you cant be sued for selling something that doesnt work properly :P
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth this does seem to be normal industry practise. The upgrade "converts" your cpl5 license into a cpl6 license, it is not a discount on a new purchase of cpl6 for cpl5 owners. As a result, only one active license.

Microsoft has worked the same way for many years with upgrades of just about all their products (I believe).

Cheers

Crash
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the positive side, at least we get a standard product - some 'upgrades' make you load the old product in first, then load the 'upgrade' over the top of it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: