Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP2?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP2? Reply with quote

Hi all

I experienced the routing issue in my neighborhood (Belgium) also.

I did a quick test with SP2 to and it took me off the mainroad and then back on.

So I think the bug is also in SP2 not fixed.

onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP2? Reply with quote

The problem with the routing issue is that there are many places that suffer from this problem, so fixing all of them at once I think would be a very difficult task. Perhaps if there was an option for route calculation, ie.strict or fast calculations it might help with this problem, who knows, maybe in the next release!
Frits
Occasional Visitor

Hi onbashi

I don't think the routing problem is related to places. I did today some test. I tested only manualy (did not realy drive this roads). In my neigborhood I have one example where navigation always is wrong so i have a good reference. When I do a navigation from B to A (distance +- 3km) the routing works fine. When I do a navigation from C to A (shortest way is via B and navigation is taking me via B) then he takes me off the main road (into a very small street) and back on (ps distance between C and A +- 10km).
onbashi
Regular Visitor

I think its due to the software reading the maps incorrectly in certain places, so in order to eliminate the problem completely it is vital to know exactly where these places are, sp2 has fixed some of the known routing issues, i.e it no longer sends you up and down juntions 2 and 3 on the m25 when you set the destination north bound. I will say that these issues are a pain in the a** and there are lots of small routing problems all over the place that can make our journeys take longer, but I will also say that they cant address all of these area in one go.

Perhaps with the release of updated maps they will implement something to enable the software to calculate routes more efficiently.

Can anyone else help on this topic as frits does have a point?
sfi1
Regular Visitor

I was told by navman that the only difference between SP1 and SP2 is support for pocketpc 2003 !
peliasson7
Occasional Visitor

Hi!

I dont think so......

With the latest SP1 patch the routing worked satisfactory in Stockholm. When going from north to south the software always chose the larger roads and avoided the citycenter.

With SP2 it goes straight thru the city center and that takes about 3-4 times as long as the larger roads.

I have checked that the avoid urban areas are checked.

So for me its a step backwords with SP2

Anyone else have this problem.

Peliasson7
sfi1
Regular Visitor

Only relating what i was told. If there is a change then maybe support in NZ are the only ones we should contact. Any other users exprience a difference ?
onbashi
Regular Visitor

yep!, Ihave the blue bug! over by the brookfield centre on the A10, I wouldn't mine normally, but I had never seen it before I installed sp2.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

The blue bug is still around, it's never been fixed, but Navman say they have been able to reduce the effect of the blue bug which I have seen myself, it doesn't appear as much as it used to.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

I agree that it is rather small, the blue bug that is Laughing Out Loud, at first I thought it was a swimming pool in someones backyard, I rushed home to get my trunks and everything, oh well never mind ay! Laughing Out Loud

Is there a possibility that it may have been introduced into other areas due to the new service pack, because I must admit I'd never seen it before and thought that I must have been one of the lucky ones to have not experienced this problem in the past
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It's always possible, but I'd doubt it, I would think that this would be something Navman would watch for.

The problem stems from how the maps are drawn with polygons, and certain areas may exhibit a problem more than others.
peliasson7
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Regarding my post about routing in SP2 above....

I have had some time to look into this.

It apears as the "avoid urban area" setting is changed. Because if I disable the "avoid urban area" everything works as with SP1 with "avoid urban area" enabled.

If I enable "avoid urban area" it takes me straight through the city instead of using the faster transit roads. It apears as the "avoid urban area" has a higer priority than "use fastest route" and sort of defaults to "use shortest route" but avoids urban areas.

In the countryside it works as it should and avoids urban areas.

I hope anyone understood what I was trying to say....

Just an update no reply needed.

Regards

Peliasson7
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

After having contacted Navman, they have said that the only change is PPC 2003 support.
Richard
Occasional Visitor

That's a shame, I was hoping for new features and improvements!
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

I believe the only reason for releasing SP 2 was because it was essential to have PPC 2003 support. Not sure about you, but I'd rather Navman took their time and tested the next SP, rather than rushing it out the door.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: