Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 2 & PPC2003
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 2 & PPC2003

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Destinator 2 & PPC2003 Reply with quote

Already a mention in the Pocket PC 2003 thread, but has anyone got any news on Dest.2 running under PPC2003 or running on a iPAQ 54xx or 55xx?

Dest. says it works on a 54xx and will confirm "soon" whether a 55xx is OK or not. There is a patch for PPC2003 on their website but it looks less than reliable, I was really after some one to say if it really worked or not.

http://www.destinator1.com/downloads.emb?id=4633
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Destinator 2 & PPC2003 Reply with quote

Well I couldn't get it to install under the 2210. The installer wouldn't recognise any storage cards I had installed.
jellied
Regular Visitor

That would be a big problem knowing how big the maps are.

I have just got wind of Destinator 3 BTW.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I've got a 512mb SD card and a 1GB MicroDrive, but it didn't like either for some reason. D3 PowerLOC are keeping close to their chests, but I think you'll find there's something different about the maps .
jellied
Regular Visitor

Oh I see -can you give us a clue Dave? Are they loaded in one go so you don't have to switch maps whilst driving up the motorway and have to reload your journey and get a whole new set of history?

jellied30@hotmail.com - I would really be most interested - nice to have my faith restored in Powerloc as I feel they have fallen behind TomTom and the like.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Actually I really don't have any info to go on at the moment, but PowerLOC were pretty miffed when we reviewed Destinator 2 at why people wanted a single map segment, and why we were heavily rating the review around this. In one conversation I had with them they did say they will look at getting this into the next release. Time will tell obviously.
solara
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I am currently looking to buy a GPS system for the USA.

I really like the 3D views so Destinator and TomTom were

my options.

But after reading the negative reviews on TomTom for the

US, that leaves just the Destinator.

Surfing the net gives mixed reviews on Destinator, but

this site gave it a relatively high mark.

My question is, does anyone know when Destinator 3 will

be released? I'd hate to buy D2 now and then a month

or two later, D3 comes out and I'd have to pay a big

upgrade fee! Also, how current are the maps for D2?

I hear the company they get thier maps from update their

maps quarterly, but I heard Destinator really has not

updated their maps since their initial release?

By the way, awesome website! Very very informative

and helpful. Keep up the excellent work!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

All PDA based mapping products very rarely have their maps updated more than once annually, and that's when the latest version of the product comes out that you need to upgrade to, to benefit from newer maps.

Some people do have issues with TomTom Navigator routing in the states, rather than route them straight onto a freeway, it routes them 5 miles to the next junction. One problem with Destinator is the maps are sectional, and you can't easily route between maps if you want full street level detail on both maps, which is still a huge downside. We're not sure when D3 will be released, but we do have some insider information but unfortunately (NDA) we can't share this at this moment in time.

Have you considered CoPilot Live ? It doesn't have a 3D view, but it has a text to speech engine and speaks road names rather than just turn left or right.

Glad you like the website!
solara
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply.

Geezz, so many choices and not a clear overall winner

to make the buying decision easy!

After reading many reviews I initially thought I'd go

with Destinator (for 3D), then Mapopolis (for quick

rerouting), and now it's iGuidance (quick rerouting and

better GUI than Mapopolis and comes with PPC and PC

versions).

What a dilemma. I'm still not sure which software I

will buy, but iGuidance is the winner so far. Too bad

it does not have 3D views.   As for hardware I am

currently debating between the Leadtek 9532 or the

Haicom 303MMF (can be used as mouse or as attached

CF system or even in laptop - versatile!)

Darren
Frequent Visitor

FWIW, IMHO 3D brings little to the party. Initially it's a gimmick and you'll love it but soon you'll realise that it shows less data then the 2D map and offers no rela advantages so I wouldn't rate it too highly on your feature list.

Don't discount TomTom to quickly. It's UI is by far the best by a long way. Any routing inconsistencies can be quickly ironed out with an update and TomTom lead the way in fixing problems fast and providing improvements as they go.
jellied
Regular Visitor

I should also imagine there will be a cheapish upgrade path frmom D2 to D3 should you feel the need.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

The Leadtek 9532 / Haicom HI-303MMF issue may be easy enough to sort out.

I have a HI-303MMF and love it. However, there is one issue you need to be aware of - in mouse mode on the Haicom there's no serial input. This means that anything that needs to talk to the GPS hardware can't.

This means that programs that change protocol and serial port speeds only work in CompactFlash mode - but most people use these programs infrequently if at all. However, it also means that features such as TomTom Navigator's "Reset GPS to this location" (to give the GPS a hand in getting a position fix when its stored information on the current time, date and location are wrong) don't work in mouse mode, and this can be a rather bigger loss.

As a result, if you're intending to operate primarily in mouse mode, I'd suggest the Leadtek. If, like me, your need for mouse mode is only intermittent and you run primarily in CompactFlash mode, the Haicom is excellent.

David
Nik A
Occasional Visitor

I've just purchased Kane Car Pilot Lux bundled with iPAQ 2210 along with a couple of battery backups & after a layout of 1250 is quid I find that I can't install to the 2210 as it's using 2003! Dissapointed or what! Kane are apparently due to release updated discs in about 2-3 weeks time...too late for the holiday though! I wonder if an upgrade to Destinator 3 will be FOC to recent purchasers of D2 Doubt it! At least the map on the Flash card worked...sort of.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

That's correct, Kane basically uses Destinator 2, so they're always a little behind in patching, likewise with TeamWarrior and CoPilot.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: