Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TTN5 Install - Need Quick Help Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TTN5 Install - Need Quick Help Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: New TTN5 Install - Need Quick Help Please Reply with quote

My TTN5 just arrived, and I'm wanting to install on my Palm TX. Reading through the provided material, the first step is to put in the "Application CD". The problem is, I have 8 CD's, labeled "Maps" CD1 through CD8. None of them is labeled "Application CD"

I put in CD1 to see where it would take me. It offers to "Add Maps" as the top option, with no mention of "Install the Application" as indicated in the TomTom documentation here:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=3&PID=62&SID=73&CID=94&Language=4&FID=3425

I don't want to start off on the wrong installation, so need to know if I use CD1 and choose "Add Maps" or if they just forgot to include the Application CD in my package!!

Naturally, their offices closed an hour before I discovered this, and won't be open until Monday....

Advice greatly appreciated.

Don Cohen
DLC Photography
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes it's on the last CD.

In any case you don't need the CDs for the application install. Simply use the version 5.1200 that you can download from their web site.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
lbendlin wrote:
sometimes it's on the last CD.

A good thought. I checked, but no, it's the same as CD1.

Quote:
In any case you don't need the CDs for the application install. Simply use the version 5.1200 that you can download from their web site.

The only link I can find for this contains the statement:
This update can ONLY be used when you have already installed a registered version of TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 on your Palm OS device.

This is present here.

Or is there another link that I haven't found yet?

Thanks again.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the right link, but they are talking nonsense. No idea why they are trying to scare people off.

Go ahead and install it - it worked on my T3

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I have installed it from the 5.12 file. I'm now installing some maps, which according to their documentation I need to have on there in order to start and activate.

I was hoping I could just directly copy map files to the SD card using my SD reader, rather than via HotSync, but I wasn't given that option. So I'm sitting here waiting for 220mb worth of map files to transfer over via Wi-Fi HotSync. Very slow and tedious for something that size.

And while I was typing this, HotSync showed a Lost Connection message, and the HotSync terminated. I checked on the SD card, and there is a folder for Major_Roads_of_America_Map is there, with 2 files: setup.dat and poi.dat. These are obviously incomplete.

So, how do I get maps on the SD card directly, via reader, rather than through HotSync? I sure hope the program itself is better than the experience so far - there is virtually no documentation on installation procedures!!

Thanks again.
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, finally got things going, despite TomTom. As posted above, TomTom's warning that the 5.12 exe file requires a prior software installation seems to be completely false, and that file does in fact do the software installation.

I finally figured out where in the Add Maps routine I can designate that I want it installed to my SD card via reader. This was after the default routine led to a failed attempted to HotSync 220mb worth of data.

Once I figured this out, I was able to start TTN5, Activate (a pretty tedious process but it completed ok), and then start using it. It picked up my Delorme BlueLogger pretty quickly, and I was good to go.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the software itself so far, so I think I'll be happy with my purchase. But I think that TomTom's support and overall competence in getting a product to their customers, with reasonably clear and complete instructions on how to actually install their software, is horrendous.

You all have a good Thanksgiving.
idsm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Worst palm experience yet ! Reply with quote

I have read the above posts with interest - well in the last 2 days I have probably read all TomTom navigator posts with great interest.
I bought the 6 CD set Maps of Western Europe Navigator 5 to use with a Tungsten E2. No application CD so have used the TTN 5.12 update to supply that.
Two problems have taken me a very frustrating 2 days to solve - the installaide.dll and a conduit error (3). At one point I was translating German language forums to do this but thought I was making progress this afternoon when I installed the GB Plus map to the card. BUT now when I insert the card I get a "No SD card" box and click OK back to the Palm launcher.
Tried loads of different things and on two occasions TTN managed to load BUT then I cannot activate it either manually or automatically.
I have now discovered deep within the TomTom Support database that there is Europe Maps CD pack containing the application CD. Sorry but typically I cannot find this topic again using their search facility. Do I need this CD to activate the maps after all ?
"TomTom's support and overall competence in getting a product to their customers, with reasonably clear and complete instructions on how to actually install their software, is horrendous."
I totally agree, DLCPhoto. This app costs almost as much as the Palm PDA and after hours of trying I still cannot get it to work despite solving at least three bugs.
idsm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: More TTN5 problems ? Reply with quote

This seems to contradict what is said above about the lack of an application CD in the Europe maps set.

Quote:
Dear Mr Smith,

The add-on maps which you have purchased are meant to be sold to people who already own Navigator 5 software but only have their regional map. We advise you to return with this product to the shop and please ask for a full Navigator 5 software + maps of Western Europe package.

Your product will not work without the original Navigator 5 software included.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

And not likely to get much joy there either :

Quote:
Hello,

Our website clearly states that this item is an upgrade only.

"Please Note: This Map data is an upgrade for the TomTom GO
Classic/300/500 and TomTom Navigator 5 products to provide Western European
coverage."

Im afraid there is nothing i can do for you as we do not refund opened
software.

Kind Regards

Diane Williams
technical@globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Product Support

Anyone want 6 CDs of maps ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: