Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 300
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Chris!!!!

One of the things I find amazing is how well it finds the Satellites. I was visiting a customer of mine whos factory is in the bowels of Netherton in the west midlands, its one of those places that still haven't heard of the mobile phone and therefore you can't get a signal. I think the whole area is lead lined :D . Showing him the Nuvi and it picked up the signal no problem. :D
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the speed it finds them is incredible, plus it's a tenacious little devil Twisted Evil and holds on to them too.

I find myself wanting to drive all over the place, now. I'll try to distract myself by loading some POIs on...
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have (and like) the Garmin Streetpilot i3 but there are a few additional features that I would like and would be interested to know if the Nuvi has them.

1. I know it has a touchscreen but can you pinpoint a destination on it by first getting to the general area, as you can with the Tom Tom?

2. How many waypoints can you enter for a journey (the i3 only allows you 1) and does it perform any sort of route planning to take you the most efficient way.

3. The Garmin website says that text-to-speech directions are a feature of both models, it is text-to-speech as part of the Language guide (ie presumably tts in a foreign language) that is unique to the 350. The generic tts feature would be a major reason for me to buy the Nuvi because I find the Garmin habit of giving final turn directions some 200-300 metres before the turning quite misleading.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug, I'll try to answer your questions but as I've only had the Nuvi for a week I might not be 100% sure!

1. You can view the map and drag it around with your finger (like you do with Google maps), then touch the screen to select a destination, yes.

2. Like the i3 it only allows one waypoint.

3. Unless I've missed something, the 300 doesn't have text-to-speech directions. I haven't had any trouble with the final turn directions, but I guess it's down to individual taste.

Sorry if that's put you off.

Chris
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your info. There is not as much difference between the nuvi (300, anyway) and the i3 as I'd hoped so, I guess the search continues.
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there doesn't sound like there's much difference. I primarily went for the Nuvi because of the size of the screen and it being touch-sensitive, together with the positive reviews about its performance and compact size. Oh, and the mp3 player is very handy too :D

Good luck with your search!

Chris
Shez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a comparrison between Nuvi v TomTom 300 here

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42106
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, Shez. One thing to remember is that the Nuvi in the comparison is a 350, not a 300, and so has that extra 'text to speech' instruction feature.

Chris
ArthurEld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Deactivate Touch Screen Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a way to deactivate the touch screen while using the Nuvi 350? I use it with ear buds while riding my motorcycle. When I put it in my pocket, the touch screen keeps getting touched.

I'm working on mounting it on my handlebars, but I'm so used to just listening to the voice directions, it really isn't necessary to mount it. And since the Nuvi 350 isn't meant to get wet, I will have to put it in my pocket if it rains while I'm riding.

Does anyone know if there is a holder with a belt clip, that might work too.

This seems like a great forum so I'll probably be around often.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: