Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamo9000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondered if you could help, I have

Nokia N70, tomtom mobile 5 and the bt 338 bluetooth gps

Since i upgraded to the n70 from the 7610 I have had nothing but problems when using tomtom software.

The software is always freezing and then looses the gps and states no gps. the only way to reconnect is to restart the phone. Not sure but maybe a bluetooth problem.

Its so annoying and happens very often and so random.

This never ever happened with the 7610 but happens all the time with the N70. any ideas?
Skai
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...it happened same to me and my N70...you need just to delete the Bluetooth authorization between the N70 and the GPS receiver and let TomTom do the pairing...it looks like TomTom doesn't like to pairings...like in real live! :D
jamo9000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: tomtom bluetooth gps disconnect / freeze Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your responses, yes it was my add on pocketgps that received that response.

please let me know if you have had tomtom running on the n70 for a long period of time without a crash more than an hour or so?

I have tried this and yes you are correct it does enable a connection with tomtom to the gps however after a random amount of time tomtom will freeze and then state no gps! This is still the same problem, I will then have to restart the phone and go all over again.

It is random sometimes after as little as a few minutes without the crash then as long as 20 minutes but it does still happen all the time. This soultion is not a fix, well not for me anyway, i still think it is a fault within the bluetooth of the Nokia N70 as it worked perfect on my older 7610 and NEVER crashed or froze once.

Please any more ideas or response from nokia will be much appreciated. I have now callled and emailed them many times still waiting for a solution. maybe a firmware or bluetooth update will be necesarry
loke_nor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the reset of the phone is the only thing that works!!! When I let tomtom do the pairing its only a short term solution - and a question of time before it hangs again:-(

Another thing that makes it almost impossible to work is when you use a bluetooth headset as well....

Seems to me that the problem is that the phones buffermemory gets filled up, and are not emptying itself while closing an application. In a while you then have to reset the phone. Sometimes even have to take out the battery:-(

Please come with other good solutions....
aitaylor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: N70 - tomtom 5 Reply with quote

Hi,
I seem to be having the same problems with my N70 It seems to freeze after a number of minutes also.

I have read a number of posts that people with N70s are using tomtom with no problems, if you are one of these lucky people could you tell me what version of software you are using please.

Does anybody have a fix for this problem?

Regards

Andy
Pilchard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly it looks like this problem is only related to the N70 with "other GPS" hardware.

I got an N70 last month and have been using it with a BT 338 and tomtom5. Its virtually useless, works for about 5-10 minutes then says "no gps device" then the bluetooth connection seems to lock up. etc etc, exactly what you other guys have been describing.

However, just using a bog-standard GPS freeware program that gives positions only (no maps) like "Smartmap" for example - it runs without any probs. I've been playing with tomtom for days now and I'm pretty convinced that its something to do with the tomtom interface and the phones bluetooth settings. Removing the 338 from the N70 bluetooth panel doesn't make much difference.

I've read some other forums on this problem (All about symbian .com) and other N70 users have complained of the exact problem, but only with non-tomtom gps devices, eg BT77 and BT338.

So in conclusion, I am convinced it is a tomtom problem rather than any hardware fault (i.e. none of my equipment is faulty).

Likely remedies would be:

1. Wait for tomtom to rease a patch. (could wait forever)
2. Sell my BT 338 and get the whole tomtom package (ouch)
3. Purchase at another program (Route 66 2005) and try that. I have no idea if R66 will give the same problem, but they do state in that 2005 onwards works on N70. Anyone tried it?
4. Only take journeys that last less than 5 minutes!?!?!?

So I'm still left with what's really an expensive toy rather than a useful tool. Come on now folks - lets not give up!
aitaylor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,

Does this mean if i get rid of my compatable gps receiver and get the original one from tomtom with will cure the problem?
Pilchard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% for certain that it would fix the problem, although evidence suggests it would. There is a poll on all about symbian .com. The results imply that users with N70 and the original tomtom package don't have problems. Mind you it only has 12 results so far.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42288

I guess its a chance you'll take.
mibes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid I have exactly the same problems using the original bluetooth receiver. Sad
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all the problems. Did the deleting the pairing routine, letting TomTom do it and it's gone from crashing/losing GPS/locking up phone in 10 minutes to working acceptably.

Had it going for 5 hours non stop without any problems today. TomTom did stop after 5 hours but all it did was close itself and I ended back at the normal phone screen. Fired up TomTom again and it worked straight away and was fine for the 3 hours run home.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conor wrote:
Had it going for 5 hours non stop without any problems today. TomTom did stop after 5 hours but all it did was close itself and I ended back at the normal phone screen. Fired up TomTom again and it worked straight away and was fine for the 3 hours run home.

My phone sometimes resets itself completely. Then I have to wait for it to reboot before I can restart TomTom. I'm guessing the phone may have overheated, it often seems quite hot after I use TomTom.
alcam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nokia N70 with Tomtom mobile 5 original software and mkII gps unit. I had problems with the bluetooth signal out when I let the phone find the gps unit.

Having read various forums I found that when I deleted the pairing for the tomtom unit from the phone and just let the unit find the phone everything works fine.

It did start playing up again at one point so I checked the pairings list on the phone and low and behold there it was, after deleting it all was well again.

Hope this helps
Alan
kennokenno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Well, I was going to buy an N70 Reply with quote

but not now! Although TomTom's website doesn't list the N70 as a supported phone, so I suppose we'll all have to wait. Sad
richardadc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any success with turing the phone to offline mode and got TomTom to work with a 3rd party receiver?
pompeyvw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had exactly the same problem with my N70 and TomTomm 5 Mobile ...

After a few minutes it locks up .. Sad

When you quit it the phone's bluetooth indicator still has the (B) around them ....

resetting's the only solution ... Sad

Now I'm going to TRY Route 66 this evening and see if that works if it does then we can safely say its probably down to the TomTom software and if enough of us write to TomTom maybe they'll do something about it ... Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: