Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Want to upgrade your Globalsat BT-338 firmware?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to upgrade your Globalsat BT-338 firmware?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Meets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Want to upgrade your Globalsat BT-338 firmware? Reply with quote

If you have a Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS receiver with the original firmware installed and want to upgrade it to the latest firmware release then bring it along to the PocketGPSWorld.com Basingstoke GPS Event.

Easy Devices will be offering a while you wait firmware upgrade. This service will be provided subject to availability.
ballingall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: globalstat 338 Reply with quote

I am unable to attend how can I get this update done, I live in Scotland
cheers
Ron
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron.
Go to the following link.

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/Receivers/GLOBALSAT_BT338_FIRMWARE_UPDATE.html

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
SimonED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated on our website, any units with serial numbers 000400 to 028000 inclusive are most likely units in need of updating. Please note however that if the unit in question starts with AAW then it should already have the latest firmware installed.

If you have Sirfdemo you can confirm the firmware by switching the unit to Sirf mode, it will then show you the version number if the unit is firmware version 3.0.2 then you may need the firmware update which will update it to version 3.1.1 Of course remember afterwards to switch the unit back to NMEA if you are using TomTom etc...

Please be aware that this update may be available from non authorised sources, however as the update process includes erasing the old firmware please note that updating the unit yourself will invalidate any warranty from both the retailer and manufacturer, so I would recommend to always come back to an authorised distributor as only then is your unit under warranty if any issues arise during the update procedure.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonED wrote:
Please note however that if the unit in question starts with AAW then it should already have the latest firmware installed.

If you have a unit with the prefix AAW and would like the latest firmware update, it's worth checking which version you've got as when we were updating units at the Meet, there was at least one with the prefix AAW which didn't have the latest version installed.

To reiterate what Simon has said in his post, it is quite a complicated procedure (as Privateer and I found out!) and I would only recommend that you get this procedure performed by an authorised dealer so that you have the back-up of your warranty to protect you should anything go wrong.

Regards,

Laura.
ayasystems
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to write in spanish. I have damaged my BT-338 because I upgrade it with file updated finded in eMule.

Buenas a todos, os escribo para contar mi experiencia con la actualización del firmaware.
En una lista de GPS escuche acerca de la actualización, así que eMule al canto y me la baje.

Inicié el proceso de actualizacion, empezo a borrar los bloques de memoria y al llegar al bloque 45000 empezo a mostar:

Erased sector set at 0x45000, size 4KB
Error: Communication error

20 minutos despúes ya lo daba por perdido así que cerre la aplicación..

En resumidas cuentass me he cargado el GPS por querer actualizar en firmware sin tener necesidad de ello ya que no he tenido ningún problema con él. Pero tengo la mania de firmware que encuentro firmware que meto

un proceso de actualización que ha salido erroneo
Si os funciona bien el GPS no os recomiendo que hagaís la actualización

Saludos!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to save time I have used a translator on this, not brilliant results, anyone fill in the missing words? or help out? - at least it will save everyone translating it - Mike
Good to all, I write to tell you my experience with the update of firmware.
In a GPS list it listens about the update
so it emulates to the song and me it lowers it.
I initiated the update process,
empezo to erase the blocks of memory and when arriving at block 45000 empezo to mostar:
20 minutes despúes already it gave it by lost so cerre application..
In summarized cuentass I have loaded the GPS to want to update in firmware without having necessity of it since I have not had any problem with him. But I have mania of firmware that encounter firmware that I put an update process that has left erroneo
If the GPS works to you well to not I recommend you that hagaís the update
Greetings!
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola ayasystems,
Bienvenido a forum PocketGPS.
Lo siento para su experiencia con actualizacion. Es un processo muy dificile y ay personas que no entiendes es peligroso tambien para sus equipo.

Siempre es mejor a enviar por correo a la distribuidor.

By the way Mike, great translation. I would take a guess that you used freetranslation.com. It always gives entertaining results.

Quote:
In a GPS list it listens about the update
so it emulates to the song and me it lowers it

should read

In a GPS list I heard about the update so I searched with eMule for it (as a song) and downloaded it.

We have actually had quite a few people contact us with the same problem. They have tried to upgrade the firmware themselves and received a communication error which then completely renders their receiver (and their warranty) useless.

However, if the receive is damaged whilst being updated by an official distributor or retailer then it will be replaced by them.

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used that one and found the results amusing (That was half the reason for letting others see it) - Using any software downloaded is at best dubious, mostly illegal so not recommended, in this day and age you typically pay for what you get - lesson for all to learn from - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Meets All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: