Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5.12 - Palm powering off!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5.12 - Palm powering off!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5.12 - Palm powering off! Reply with quote

Hi

I've been a happy user of Tom Tom Navigator 4 on a Palm T3 for about a year and recently upgraded to version 5. I've had no problems, but recently (I think after I installed the most recent patch from TomTom) the Palm has started switching itself off after a minute's usage.

This drops the Bluetooth connection to the GPS and makes TTN virtually useless. :x

Obviously it's not over-riding the system power-saving settings. However it always used to - does anyone know how to make it so that TT doesn't switch itself off?

Thanks in advance

Glenn.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it didn't do it before installing the update then I'd go back to the original version.
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TazUk wrote:
If it didn't do it before installing the update then I'd go back to the original version.

That's what I'll do if I can't find an alternative solution. I wonder has anyone else had similar problems?

Glenn.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

I am a happy user of Tomtom 5.12 on a Tungsten T3. It doesn't switch off for me, so it sounds like a problem with your setup rather than version 5.12.

If you wanted to, you could disable the auto power-off feature:

1. open a new memo
2. write the shortcut symbol (think about when you learnt to write joined-up...it looks like a lowercase joined-up letter 'L')*
3. write .3 after the shortcut symbol

*if this doesn't make sense, take a look at your graffiti help...provided you haven't changed the default you ought to be able to access this by swiping your screen from the graffiti input area to the top of the screen - the shortcut is un the third page under "gestures".

(to restore the power-off feature either perform a soft reset or go to the power preferences and select a value from the dropdown options)

But to be honest you'd probably be better off looking at why your T3 is behaving in this way...do you have any other software that may be conflicting?

Good luck with whatever you choose to do Smile
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, but I think I've figured it out.

Usually I power the T3 from a Palm PowerToGo external battery while in the car. The Palm thinks it's in a cradle, the power LED comes on and, because I've got "Stay on in cradle" set in the Power prefs, it stays on.

The last couple of times I was out I didn't use the PowerToGo and so the "Stay on in cradle" option didn't apply; hence the powering off.

eillo7: I assume you use some sort of external power source as well?

Glenn.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

Yes, I have the Tomtom T3 powered mount...but I also have my 'Stay on in Cradle' set to 'Off'. Confused

With Tomtom running out of the cradle it powers off after about 3 minutes (my auto-off setting).

In the cradle, it seems to stay on regardless of the power preferences setting. So Tomtom seems to be ignoring the 'Stay on in Cradle' setting and deciding what to do for itself.

Anyway, congratulations on figuring it out.

:D
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run Tom Tom 5.12 on both my Treo 650 & T3.

If they are NOT connected to a GPS unit they switch off after my predetermined time. I use this feature lots to plan my daily routes 'offline'. This never happened with previous versions. I am happy with this, as the T3 battery drains very quickly. Treo 650 battery life is excellent.

Neither the Treo 650 or T3 turn off if they are connected to a GPS receiver whether wired or BT.

I would suggest backing it all up, rename backup folder to oldbackup or similar, do a hard reset & reinstall ttn.

If that works, then add your 3rd party apps. 1 by 1 until they are all on and working, or you find a conflict - ttn misbehaving.

Hope this helps.
RicoBunyon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurecting the thread slightly, as I've only just joined the forums.

I had this exact problem on my T5 after performing the upgrade to 5.12. TomTom took about 4 weeks to respond to my support query, and even then only gave me the ".3" solution. After a day of them not responding though, I went back to the original version and from then on, the T5 would stay on when running Navigator.

Of course, I've now got problems with the 5.201 update (i.e. it won't even run), but that's another thread.

So far, I've been bitterly disappointed with the updates.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to deal with Tom Tom updates I have found is to remove all files on the internal memory and do a fresh install.

5.201 is the best incarnation of ttn so far. For me, everything is sorted!

I also use a wired gps receiver & run Tom Tom on a dedicated SD card.

I know I'm one of a few people who aren't having problems.

Using a Treo 650, if I have any problems, usually a zero out reset sorts them out.
ncnmra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you guys find the 5.201 upgrade? I'm having the same problem with the Palm turning off with 5.12. I could swear that it USED to work fine (even with 5.12), but I recently bought a new SD card and had to re-install everything and since then, it shuts off unless I have it on the power supply. I have a Zire 72 with the bluetooth GPS by PalmOne.

What is you guy's experience with TomTom support? I posted a question to them on 11/15 and it hasn't been answered at all!
RicoBunyon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrade: From the TomTom website, click on Support and it's one of the first links listed.

As for the support, I've used it twice. First time I didn't get a reply for weeks. The second time (last Friday) I had a reply by Monday.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncnmra wrote:
Where did you guys find the 5.201 upgrade? I'm having the same problem with the Palm turning off with 5.12. I could swear that it USED to work fine (even with 5.12), but I recently bought a new SD card and had to re-install everything and since then, it shuts off unless I have it on the power supply. I have a Zire 72 with the bluetooth GPS by PalmOne.

What is you guy's experience with TomTom support? I posted a question to them on 11/15 and it hasn't been answered at all!

This upgrade is with the PPC one this time - 5.2xx.

Tom Tom do eventually reply, sometimes it is quick, sometimes weeks.
ncnmra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Interesting....I still wasn't finding it so I remembered about the US/UK thing. I changed the site to "UK English" and voila....its there now. Is this update only for UK users?

Why wouldn't they list it on the US site????
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncnmra wrote:
...Interesting....I still wasn't finding it so I remembered about the US/UK thing. I changed the site to "UK English" and voila....its there now. Is this update only for UK users?

Why wouldn't they list it on the US site????

Is it something to do with postcodes? We can use them in the UK & NL, I believe, but not in the states.
ncnmra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeProcter wrote:
Is it something to do with postcodes? We can use them in the UK & NL, I believe, but not in the states.

I wonder if it works in Canada then?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: