Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: SmartST Pro vs Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: SmartST Pro vs Navigator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: SmartST Pro vs Navigator Reply with quote

Please post any comments you have regarding the Navman SmartST Pro vs TomTom Navigator (Head to Head) Review in this message.

The full review can be found at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navmanvstomtom.asp.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: SmartST Pro vs Navigator Reply with quote

Thanks Sterling, actually the only reason why SmartST Pro didn't win when adding up the ratings from each section is because it doesn't have any Map Matching facility. To rate this anything above zero would be inaccurate. If manual Map Matching was built in to SmartSt Pro, then it would have definately come out on top.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

A very useful comparison!!!

I DO hope that TomTom will do something about the map errors very soon, and, hopefully, at their cost!!!!!

I was surprised that TTFF comparison was not included.

The TomTom (Leadtek) receiver is consistently fast, about 20 secs, and, in my opinion, offers a significant practical use advantage.
HappyWithNavman
Occasional Visitor

Review is great. Just a couple of things.

With regards to map-matching. Smart ST has this automatically incorporated into it's software, so there is no need for a manual function. Therefore making it easier for us.

Another thing. Not sure how many of you know this, but there is a "hidden screen" on the GPS status screen. In the bottom left hand corner of the screen, where the number of sats are shown, there is what looks like a satellite. Tap in the middle of this sat a few times in quick succession. A dialogue box will pop up. Click OK. Then tap the big circle in the middle of the screen, a very slick 3D graphic shows up. And if you tap in the co-ordinates box, you can change the layout. Also, is you tap the speed indicator, you can change the speed layout. Not sure why this isn't documented in the manuals. Was informed of this by the salesman I got this from. Quite ingenius.

ENJOY!!! Great product.
Walter Mit
Occasional Visitor

Very informative review. Actually, I can't say it was informative. I mean that in a humorous way. I was hoping that after reading the review I would have a much better understanding of which software to buy. Unfortunately, after reading the review, I am no closer to making a decision. (Note: yes, it was informative in the sence that I learned new information, and did find it useful.)

There was one line of discussion that was surprisingly not elaborated on. Namely waypoints (via X) and avoid options. I understand that Navigator allow routing via some intermedary point, and SmartST doesn't. I further understand that Navigator includes the option to "avoid" certain streets, forcing a route that does not take those roads. Again, SmartST doesn't have this function.

If these functions were not included in SmartST, this may actually be a dealbreaker. These functions could be used to generate correct routes when the maps or software produce less than optimal routes.

Can someone confirm that my above understanding is correct? Is it true that Navigator includes this functionality and SmartST doesn't?

Finally, is the routing so much better on SmartST that it compensates for the lack of ability to "massage" the correct route?

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Walter,

>> Can someone confirm that my above understanding is correct? Is it true that Navigator includes this functionality [avoidance options] and SmartST doesn't? <<

SmartST PRO has avoidance options for toll roads (not too many of those in the UK, yet!) and built up areas.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hi Walter, unfortunately the decision really is down to you to make. Like with all products. If it does help in any shape or form, I can tell you what the complete Pocket GPS Team are using on a daily basis, and it begins with T.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Regarding "Map Matching". This was an error on my part, this refers to "Manual" Map Matching, and this will be amended today. Both SmartST Pro and TomTom Navigator has the ability to "Snap to Roads", which is an automatic process, however when it does this wrong, which I've seen several times on both applications, you need to give it a smack and tell it not to do that again, and the best way to do this is "Manual Map Matching". TomTom Navigator includes this as standard, but SmartST Pro does not.
Walter Mit
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Tim Buxton on 29 October 2002

>> Can someone confirm that my above understanding is correct? Is it true that Navigator includes this functionality [avoidance options] and SmartST doesn't? <<

SmartST PRO has avoidance options for toll roads (not too many of those in the UK, yet!) and built up areas.

So the answer then is, "No, SmartST doesn't include avoid options."

Just to clarify, despite having the option to avoid built up areas and toll roads, this doesn't help one to generate better routes.

For example, if a road between your source and destination is always slow due to traffic (construction, rush hour, new road layout, etc.) you could select to avoid it, and plot the best route around it.

SmartST doesn't have this seemingly valuable function. What about Navigator? Does it have it, does it work well?

Darren
Frequent Visitor

TomTom Navigator does have an avoid feature. Basically it allows you to define a boxed area (in map mode) which will be avoided when routes are planned. You can configure multiple avoid areas although I do not know if there is an upper limit to their number.

tedkay
Regular Visitor

Hi Dave

Now that both Tom Tom & Navman have made their updated software available (although I haven't got my SmartSt update yet!). It would be nice if you could do an updated comparison to see how they shape-up now, and in particular which manufacturer has responded best to the problems reported by users.

This would be of great assistance to prospective purchasers and also might put a bit of pressure on for patches to be provided quickly.

Regards

Ted
entropycity
Occasional Visitor

Hello Dave,

I have just bought a Compaq H3950 and like several people here, have found your article (27 Oct 02) useful and informative. However, also like some people, I am not sure which system to go for?

Has there been any significant changes since October for you to change your general opinions re the better system?

I have seen a deomo for the Tom Tom and am going to visit Carphone Warehouse in Leicester to see a demo of Navman. Do you know any outlet in these parts which can demo the TT on a Compaq?

Geoff
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Happy,

>> With regards to map-matching. Smart ST has this automatically incorporated into it's software, so there is no need for a manual function. Therefore making it easier for us. <<

I agree in part about your comments re:map-matching. I would like to be able to turn it off, though, as SmartST occasionally thinks I'm on a road when I'm actually in, say, a car park, and it tries to route me where I don't want to go.

Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance of a 'head to head' review of the Navman 4400 and TomTom 2 Navigator??????
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are looking to do this, but it won't be a one on one comparison, it will be a cross the board comparison of products and features. This will take a lot longer to produce, but it's something we do have planned.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: