Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anquet announce Anquet Version 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anquet announce Anquet Version 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Anquet announce Anquet Version 6 Reply with quote

Last week Anquet sent me details of their latest release of mapping software called Anquet 6. The latest version will be launched on 10th November. For the PR it look like they have crammed loads of new functionality into the application.

One of the more interesting features is the release of a MS Smartphone version. The first to use OS mapping products in the UK. PocketGPSWorld.com will be receiving a review copy in the next few days so we will produce a detailed review shortly.

In the mean time here is the announcement from Anquet:

Anquet Marketing Dept wrote:

Anquet Version 06
Anquet Maps Version 06 contains a host of exciting new features to make even better use of digital maps on your computer. With a completely new interface, powerful new database management tools, enhanced GPS capability and compatibility with any Microsoft enabled Smartphone, Anquet Version 06 opens an exciting new era in the world of digital mapping and route planning.

The Anquet Virtual GPS
Anquet Version 06 supports a wide range of standard GPS and Pocket PCs with in-built GPS capability. For Version 06, Anquet is pleased to introduce a unique set of software tools which are set to revolutionise the way GPS is used. The Anquet Virtual GPS replicates the functions of a standard GPS unit on your laptop, Pocket PC or Smartphone. When
used in conjunction with a basic, screen-less GPS receiver, such as a Bluetooth GPS, the Anquet user has access to full GPS capability without the need to purchase an expensive handset. In addition, combining a basic GPS receiver with the Anquet Virtual GPSTM software offers a much wider range of options for managing battery life in the field. When The
Anquet Virtual GPS is accessed, the user sees on screen the same directional arrow and location information for the selected waypoint that would be displayed on a conventional GPS receiver.

Anquet and Smartphone
Anquet software is now compatible with Microsoft enabled Smartphones. Functionality on the Smartphone is similar to that on Pocket PC, opening up a world of opportunity for phone users for route planning and viewing digital mapping.

For example, used in conjunction with a basic, screen-less GPS receiver, a Smartphone can now be used to navigate a route using a combination of on-screen OS maps and The Anquet Virtual GPSTM.

Anquet and Pocket PC
Anquet Version 06 provides enhanced functionality for Pocket PC. Users can now create and file routes and waypoints directly on their Pocket PC as well as exchange routes with their GPS without the need to transmit data via their desktop computer. Route and waypoint data can be processed using the Anquet Data Explorer tools described below.

Anquet Data Explorer
This exciting new feature provides a set of powerful data management tools with which users can manage their routes and waypoints in a variety of ways. Information can be filed in different databases to aid management of route and waypoint data. Different databases can be assigned different default properties such as route colour and icon type.

This facilitates easy differentiation of different data sets on the map (e.g. walking and cycling routes). Data can be easily filed in folders and/or databases by simply clicking and dragging with the mouse. With the Anquet Data Explorer users can maintain detailed records on routes and waypoints and re-organise them effortlessly as required.

User Interface
The user interface has been completely redesigned to make it even easier to use. Distinctive icons and clear signposting make navigation round the software quick and simple. Additional new tools include the following:
    Routes can now be captured either by the traditional click and drag method or by stream capture in which the route is followed with the mouse button depressed capturing a continuous stream of waypoints. Uniquely to Anquet the user can use a combination of both techniques on the same route combining speed of capture and efficient management of data volumes.

Routes can be given different colours so that groups of routes can be differentiated. For example all walking routes could be in one colour, cycling routes in another and so on.

Text can now be added to features on the map. For example, descriptions of waypoints or routes can be added in caption boxes.

The number of available icons has been significantly increased to include more geometric shapes and a wide range of thematic icons.

Split Screen Mode
The tools for viewing in Split Screen Mode have been significantly enhanced. It is now possible to view any pair of maps of different types, at different viewing scales, viewed in 3D Virtual Landscape mode or not, and either synchronised to the same position or not, as required. An optional tool allows the user to see an outline box defining on the smaller-scale map the area included in the larger-scale map.

New Path Profile Tool
In Anquet Version 06, the Path Profile is enhanced to further link the profile with the route it displays

awk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Anquet Version 6 Reply with quote

Hi - I have Anquet maps (version 1.2.20) and am interested in the extra features for using my Bluetooth Receiver and PDA.

Do you know whether Version 6 will be a free upgrade for existing users?

AWK
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anquet 6 will not be a free upgrade. I don't know what the cost will be yet, but it will be chargeable.

This is because of the new maps released with the software. The licence that the OS has with Anquet prevents Anquet releasing software functionality updates without releasing new maps and charging accordingly.
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely we will be able to buy/download the software without the new map data?

I certainly do not want to replace replace my maps of the whole of the UK that cost hundreds of pounds but I would like to use the new software functionality. I cant see them excluding their existing customers in this way.

At least I hope they dont. I think it would be very short-sighted if they did.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with Anquet. It is all down to the Ordnance Survey who impose draconian conditions on any license agreements with developers.

Any new functionality requires you to relicense the OS Maps. Therefore you will be unable to get the application without the maps.
awk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I buy the cheapest map then I assume I will get the V6 software? and can then add it to my existing (full UK) maps to get new functionality for the whole set?

Or, do they have a way of stopping this?

AWK
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awk wrote:
If I buy the cheapest map then I assume I will get the V6 software? and can then add it to my existing (full UK) maps to get new functionality for the whole set?

Or, do they have a way of stopping this?

AWK
If Anquet have done what they are supposed to by way of licensing then you will only be able to use the maps that came with the software. This is true of Memory-Map and Fugawi as well.
alanlakes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using V6 having traded in my Lakes map in their offer upgrade. Thank goodness I have kept my old version as I have had nothing but problems. My PC runs like cold treacle when V6 is running, My imported Wayponts from old version canott be opened from the map and therfore cannot be inserted in routes. The 3d option almost grinds PC to a halt and runs so slow it takes minutes to move. The new pocket PC software does not see my GPS (it does on set up screen and then states there is no GPS on com port) The Pocket PC then runs like Colder treacle.
I have reported several things to Anquet who agree about Pocket PC/GPS and are improving Help file and Old Anquet data import.
I have reverted to my Old Anquet as it works very well and with Improved data info on the Pocket PC would have been great. In fact that all Anquet needed to do.
I will wait and see if Anquet can clear up problems but am seriously thinking of getting my money and Old Lakes software back
Alan
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that. I was wondering whether to shell out for an upgrade and I dont think I will bother now.

Ian
ernieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tried version 6 via the upgrade path and have to say I really like the changes. I guess like most new releases there are always some issues but I have use version 6.0.3 and it seems to function well. For me however, there is a major downside, I use a Meridian Colour GPS and this is currently not supported so I will have to wait, whilst reverting to version 1.2, to see if the support group get enough requests to add my GPS. The technical and sales team have been very helpful and I hope I can move to version 6 and I for one really like some of the changes. I have not tried it with my PPC 4150 so can not comment on this side of the application.
So if you use a Meridian Colour and Anquet please log your support request at HardwarecheckMYGPS@Anquet.co.uk

Cheers

ErnieB
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Another unhappy Anquet 6 user Reply with quote

I, too, am disappointed by Anquet V6.

I bought it because I do a lot of walking and cycling and have two GPS units. I had one area of the V1.2x product and have been very impressed.

I have upgraded to 6.0.4 (yesterday) as a result of the problems below - but they haven't changed anything.

Yes V6 is a CPU hog - I am guessing this is because they are using the .NET framework which they will have done to get compatibility across multiple platforms. It takes 10secs to get the splash screen up on my otherwise fast-enough processor. It runs OKish when it has started.

But it won't work with my tried and trusted Garmin GPSII+. It detects the unit and identifies the s/w level but attempting to do any comms results in a time out. The old version 1.xx was ultra-reliable with this unit. So I can plot routes onthe map but can't download them to the GPS - not really any use.

So onto Pocket Anquet. I will admit to having an unsupported GPS unit here but...

I am running iPaq 3660 (64Mb) PPC2002. My GPS unit is a Haicom 305III CF model with on-board SD card reader. I have 512Mb and 1Gb cards. It detects the unit (COM4:) and connects to the GPS (takes upto 2 mins AFTER the GPS is signalling that it has a lock) then it plots the position using the Livetrack feature. However it consistently locks up after the moving map has re-painted the screen 4 times - looks like the map is corrupted. One of the work-arounds suggested was to load "entire" maps - about 300Mb each - but this seemed to have a similar problem.

One thought I have is that it's an interaction between the SD card section and the GPS data section but the same config runs beautifully with TomTom V5 and OziExplorerCE - neither of which use .NET

The problems with Pocket Anquet are very annoying. If you want to use it for walking then the thought of having to have a wired GPS or even worse a BT GPS would stop you.

The really annoying thing is that they seem to have 'broken' the link with my GPSII+ (which is also an 'unsupported') device in V6 - in fact hey don't seem to support many units at all.

Support seem to be trying to help and are very responsive - but I think it's going to be a while before the problems are ironed out.

Shame really.
Vladivar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought the national parks of great britain for my HP 6515 Ipaq. I can get the maps up no problem, but I cant get the gps system to work within the new Anquet 6 program. I have an internal GPS and the GPS configure within the software asks for 3 things. The type Garmin,magellan or NMEA. I pick NMEA. The baud rate. I use 5600 for the tom tom gps. and the com port 1-10 or unknown. No matter what setting I put it on it says wrong port. Any ideas????

Vladivar
alanlakes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anquet suugested I try this on my Pocket PC (ipaq 4150) connected to an etrex vista. It works but runs very slow and you do not get any indication of where you are on the map. turning the tracklog option on gives you some green squares as you move but they are 200 metres out

0) Set your GPS to NMEA mode if is not already. (Most Bluetooth and built in GPS units can only be set to NEMA)
1)Soft reset the PocketPC
2) To prevent other software hogging the com port try opening up settings->system->memory->running programs
Close as many programs as you can.
3)Open Anquet
4) Use the automatic search and see if it finds the GPS
If it does, then use File->Exit to close Anquet. Do NOT use the small x in the top right.
5) Then start Anquet again, and use say GPS->Livetrack->Livetrack.

They say update 6.05 will fix pocket PC bugs. I wait with bated breath
Alan
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket Anquet 6.0.5 may solve problems but to us humble users of PPC2002 and earlier they won't be available.

Pocket Anquet 6.0.5 requires .NET V2 platform and this is NOT supported (and it won't load) onto PPC2002 and earlier.

I find that a bit annoying to say the least!

Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Anquet All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: