Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Heat Reflective Windscreen!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Heat Reflective Windscreen!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoGLASSTEC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Heat Reflective Windscreen!! Reply with quote

Hi...

I've joined the site looking for an answer that HP, Tom Tom, PC World and every other GPS product supplier cannot answer.

System: HP 1710 iPAQ with wired antenna. This does not have a Bluetooth facility.

Problem: I have just replaced my windscreen with a Solar Controlled, or Heat Reflective windscreen. It has subsequently blocked the signal to the wired receiver which is sat very neatly (and discretely) on the dashboard of my van.
I have seen various signal boosters, external antenna and bluetooth this, that and the other. I'm looking for the best way out of this problem.

What I would like: to re-run another wired-antenna that leads to an external receiver that is not powered from the cigarette lighter. The way the current antenna is connected (with what looks like a standard BT-phone connector) is fine - I'd just like to replace it with an external one...

Can anyone direct me towards the solution that I'm looking for?

PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!

I live in London and need to sort this immediately... please help!

Paul.

satpaulralhan@msn.com or 07703 595 008.
AutoGLASSTEC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking time to reply.

The "dotted area", or ceramic frit is also covered by the reflective coating. Moving the existing wired antenna is a good idea, but I cannot try this for two reasons: i) I prefer not to have any wires / hardware showing and ii) when I changed the screen, I hid the cable underneath the dash; the only way to release this cable now is to remove the windscreen again!

If I take the time to release the antenna, how good can the signal be if placed close to the side window?

Paul.
marmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have a heat reflectiove windscreen also, my gps receiver is built into the pda cradle (thinknavi for hp4700). I've moved the cradle from centre of the windscreen to the far right where i have a clear section of windscreen and now get a strong reliable signal everytime. If they doesn't work for you try pdamods.com, im sure i saw an external antenna that will plug into your cradle there.
AutoGLASSTEC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I too, have looked at various sites, including PDAMods.com; I dialled their number and spoke to a guy who seemed to be in India (with an American accent!). He seemed to be quite lost about what I asked him for and told me that he'd consult his technical team and get back to me with a suggestion... he never did.

If you - or anyone else - can come up with a part number or 'quick find' reference, I will be most grateful.

Thanks again.

Paul.
marmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure of any part numbers, i'd try totalpda.co.uk, i know they do bluetooth expansion cards that you might be able to use with a bluetooth receiver, but not sure about compatibility with a 1710. sorry.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Are you using the terms "receiver" and "antenna" the correct way around? A receiver contains the "electronics", connects to the PDA and usually requires a power supply (unless it can "steal" power from the PDA). It either contains an antenna or uses an external antenna to receive the radio waves. I think an antenna will always be connected with a coaxial connector and cable.

Is your current "receiver" not powered from the cigarette lighter or is that an extra requirement? Does the receiver have a (coaxial socket) antenna input?

One possible solution is a "re-radiating antenna" on the rear (or a side) window, but that will need a power supply (or maybe frequent battery changes).

Sorry to answer with lots of questions.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
AutoGLASSTEC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan - no worries about the questions, I'd rather be asked so that I can give the right answers.

System is a HP 1710 iPAQ which sits in a cradle. The antenna (wire) is plugged into the cradle and draws its supply from that source. The cradle did have a cigarette-lighter connection, but I've done away with that and tapped directly into the loom so that I still have the lighter free.

Re-radiating antenna is an option that most retailers have suggested. If the existing Tom Tom antenna is plugged into the cradle for power and signal transmission, surely there must be an external antenna (with a longer cable and a bolt-on or magnetic fitting) that attaches to the roof of the vehicle? I'm seeing various roof-mounts and marine-use units, but I cannot ascertain if any of these will be good for mine.

(The antenna plugs into cradle with what looks like a 'BT' phone connector).

If it comes down to it, I'll go for the re-radiating option, but I'm trying to keep wire and hardware to what is absolutely necessarry - and keep to the hidden cables.

Thanks for your feedback.

Paul.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part which you refer to as the 'antenna' is in fact the GPS Receiver & Antenna combined. It cannot be replaced by an external antenna nor does it have the option of connecting an external antenna to it.

When you tapped into vehicle power did you check what voltage the GPS Receiver expected? I can't recall but the antenna (a re-badged Leadtek) may expect 5v rather than 12v, are you sure your receiver is still functioning?

As you have been advised there are two options, somehow remove the existing antenna and cable and relocate it, you can use a standard RJ11 Modem extension cable to extend the lead length if that helps. The only other option (short of a new BT equipped PDA) is a re-radiating antenna but these all require power although PC-Mobile have a AA battery powered model.
AutoGLASSTEC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren...

The 'mod' was carried out by Ai Audio who are good friends of mine - I trust they know what they're doing and besides, everything worked fine until I had the new Solar Controlled windscreen installed.

Power was never an issue; signal now is.

I'm going to try and re-route the cable and re-position the GPS receiver nearer the side window. Hopefully, it will be an improvement. If not, I guess I'll be back on the same mission to find a way around the problem.

Kind regards,

Paul.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pc-mobile.net/gpsant.htm

These are the AA battery powered re-rads, they will run for up to 2oo hours on one set so may be an option for you?.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a external antenna, place it somwhere to get a signal and pass the antenna through to your GPS. Means more cabled but if you do it right you could hide them well. Either that or get a SiRF III cabled GPS receiver Holux GR 213.
AutoGLASSTEC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your feedback. This is a fantastic forum full of people with a shared interest.

I have just finished re-routing the cable and have managed to position the receiver to the right-hand-side of the steering wheel; it is the closest I can get it to the door-glass without advertising the fact that the vehicle is indeed, equipped!

Tests so far indicate that I have managed to get round the problem; just how well will become clear when I attempt the cross-town routes in the West End!

Thanks again,

Paul.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoGLASSTEC wrote:
The "dotted area", or ceramic frit is also covered by the reflective coating.

Hmmm, that's a bit odd. I have seen a few cars with GPS receivers mounted here and they seem to work OK. I tried it on a Renault Laguna that I hired and it it worked fine there too.
AutoGLASSTEC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right; our friends at the Renault design department developed the Solar windscreen with a small 'window' in the athermic layer. This was designed, initially, for remote activated gates and garage doors. Perhaps they had more of a vision...

Sadly for me, my Renault van does not have this feature; maybe they knew I didn't have any infra-red activated openings, or perhaps it's because my Renault van has a Nissan badge on it!

Before re-positioning the GPS, I tried, tested and tried again... no signal. Dunno... just didn't happen for me. Hopefully, the new position will make me 'Mr Happy' White Van Man again.

Paul.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: