Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theendisnye
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: USA Maps Reply with quote

Well I got a totally different response from TomTom see below, however given your response was after mine they may well have changed their mind;

Dear steve,

Thanks for your mail.

TTN 2 USA will be avalible as software in Europe in July 2003.

Regards,

TomTom Customer Services

support@tomtom.com

http://www.tomtom.com

*** Please leave the ticket identifier in the subject of your reply ***

---- Original message -------------------------------------

Subject: Will you be able to but Tom Tom navigator 2 for USA in europe?

> Received: Wednesday 11-06-2003

> Time: 22:30

NeilS
Occasional Visitor

I thought others might be interested in this. I am going to the US soon and thought it would be good to use TomTom to navigate, so I emailed TomTom to see how I could buy the maps here in the UK. Well it looks like TomTom aren't selling them:

"For now Navigator USA is only available in the US through US retailers/e-tailers as software+maps (US Maps only are currently not available). TomTom may decide to sell / distribute the US version of the product in Europe in the future. If we do, details of availability will be posted on the EU edition of our web site. If/when Navigator USA is made available to the EU market the best place to get the relevant information in Europe would be support@tomtom.com

Regards, USAInfo@tomtom.com"

I think this is a shame. I was wondering if anyone has found a way round this. Are there any US suppliers that will ship to the UK?

Neil
NeilS
Occasional Visitor

Privateer: Re: US Map size: http://www.tomtom.com/products/platform/extra_info.php?

ID=209&Section=1270&Language=4&Extra_Page=31&

PHPSESSID=42ecb5ecac278cdada54dace67e3e947&

PHPSESSID=e430ea91e363e6312b61164af47811c7

(That should be all on one line)

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Well said David,

I only have the UK map (not the European ones). If I were to go to the USA or another area outside Europe that TomTom covers then I would like to be able to buy just the map data for that area.

Just out of interest, could anybody tell me how much memory the whole of the USA map data requires?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Precisely - the link Lutz posted is for the software and maps.

My point all along is that there seems to be an inequity here. Many are assuming that you can buy the US version of TomTom Navigator 2 and then buy the European maps (though I suppose this may be barred and you can't activate the European maps on a US version of TomTom Navigator).

If you have a existing European country version of TomTom Navigator 2 and you buy the European maps, you've paid twice for one country, paid around the same as those who bought US version and the European maps, and you don't have the US maps. If you have a European country software pack and the European maps, you can't buy the US maps as a maps only package - you have to buy the software again too. There may then be problems with activation if you activated European maps on a European country version of Navigator and then try to install the US version of Navigator on the same device.

If European maps activate and work OK with the US version of TomTom Navigator 2, the original European country version of TomTom Navigator 2 you'd bought in my scenario is redundant (even though it cost you around £115). You can't even really sell it because of activation.

Either:

People are assuming incorrectly that you can activate the European maps on a US version of TomTom Navigator 2 (the European maps do not appear anywhere on the US part of the TomTom site).

Or:

Europeans who want to add US map coverage are disadvantaged substantially by the current pricing regime.

If they don't own the European maps package, but want to add US maps to a single European country, a possibility I haven't mentioned so far, it looks as if they will have to buy the software twice though at least they won't have bought a European country map twice.

It would be useful if TomTom would make clear which of these two possibilities is the truth, and if it's the second, attempt to justify it.

As it happens, this issue does not affect me personally. Because of health reasons, I'm unlikely to leave the UK for the foreseeable future. I just feel it would be helpful if all Navigator owners knew what the policies were.

Already I've written at least one reply on the forums here where I mentioned the possibility of activating European maps on a US copy of TomTom Navigator. I'm not even sure that is possible!

David
stuartm
Lifetime Member

Quote: Originally posted by lbendlin on 23 June 2003

@Neils: you can actually buy the "maps only" package online http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2320&pf%5Fid=MP731518&listing=1 starting june 30th - ish

That looks remarkably like Software and maps to me.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

Let me know how many of you want to order the US maps and I can arrange for the shipments from here (with a little additional handling fee)

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NeilS
Occasional Visitor

This is a bit of a shame. If anyone finds a US distributor that ships to the UK then please let me know. Interestingly, mobileplanet.com do sell the Europe map in the US. I get the feeling TomTom just didn't think this through. They could even provide a download service for maps, then the issue of keeping stock wouldn't arise.

Neil
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

I think that this is not a logistics or activation issue, but more a licensing issue.

It is sometimes the case where the mapping providers only license the products to be sold in certain locations. They also impose restrictions on the export of the products.

If you take the example Microsoft Streets and Trips is the Same as Autoroute but with different maps. I had to go to the States to get my copy of S&T as nobody was allowed to export it to the UK, and Vice Versa.
ottopop
Occasional Visitor

I confirm:

They don't ship in Europe!!!
TonyP
Regular Visitor

I dont think mobileplanet.com ships to Europe. They refer you to their European site mobileplanet.fr and they dont stock the USA version
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

@Neils: you can actually buy the "maps only" package online http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2320&pf%5Fid=MP731518&listing=1 starting june 30th - ish

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I believe so. The Navigator and GPS Driver program that we've helped TomTom perfect for the US trials is identical, so the same program is required, just different maps, so like Europe you should I believe be able to select US based maps, instead of UK or Europe based maps in TTN2 and load them this way.

I suspect that activation wise the keys would need to be tied together so you could have UK + Europe or UK+US or UK+Europe+US and the activation keys and the server would recognise this and allow it to happen.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

There's another issue here that I've just thought of.

Can owners of TomTom Navigator 2 US buy and activate the European maps package? If so, not only do they have a route to acquiring comprehensive map coverage that existing owners of a European version of TomTom Navigator 2 do not, but that's the cheapest way of acquiring all the maps currently available.

I feel TomTom could do with making the policies clear. There seems potential for inequality as things stand.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I think it is sad that you can't buy the US maps as an add-on product for a European copy of TomTom Navigator, though I understand why this might be the case (thanks to Dave for presenting some of the reasons in a very clear way).

However, that aside, is it possible to have both a European and the US version of TomTom Navigator 2 to co-exist on the same device at the same time. In other words, can you use both products without messing around entering activation codes as you switch between US and any European maps, just as you can activate the European Maps add-on on an existing European copy of TomTom Navigator 2 and move seamlessly between all the installed maps.

The European maps activation will also authorise your home country maps on a European copy of TomTom Navigator 2. This isn't the case if you activate the US version of TomTom Navigator 2 with a European version already installed. I don't know enough about how the activation system works to know whether there is a problem here or not.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: