Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Printing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Printing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Printing Reply with quote

I have a horrible feeling that this might be a 'wally of the week' question but is it possible to connect a printer to a PocketPC - spcifically 2210? I see no parallel port mentioned in the spec of the IPAQ and although I see 'serial port' mentioned I can't tell if it the same physical connection and compatible with that of a printer. Is the future a Bluetooth Printer? Input welcome

Roy
jellied
Regular Visitor

Try this from HP link

I have never actually tried it.

RoyC
Regular Visitor

OK, so something may be possible but it clearly isn't mainstream. So let me ask my supplementary question which may explain why I asked about printing in the first place.

I currently have an Extrex Summit but no IPAQ yet although within the week I will probably order TomTom for driving and a 2210.

I now want to address our walking needs. I cannot see that carrying an IPAQ around whilst walking is a terribly practical thing to do for several reasons but battery life is one of them so my initial thought was that I could buy MemoryMaps for example and transfer the maps of an area to the IPAQ before going off on my travels in the MotorHome. The beauty of a MotorHome is that you don't know exactly where you will finish up so that makes it impossible to print out the necessary maps before leaving home.

My thought was therefore that I could wait until we arrived at a location , then plan the walk and print the necessary map. From the response it is clear this isn't what people do so I then then wondered whether I could plan my walking route on the IPAQ, then transfer that Route/waypoints to the Etrex before starting the walk.

Q. Is this possible - specifically using Memory Maps or OziCE or anything else for that matter?

Q If not what do other people do.

RoyC
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I'm guessing that you know what country you're going to be in, or poss what city ? If so, you can pre-load the relevant memory map software and maps to the Pocket PC. If not, then you'll need to carry a laptop around with you to do this transferring in your motorhome.

If you're looking to walk then really Memory-Map or Fugawi UK would be best as they do use Ordnance Survey maps. You don't necessarily need to have the iPAQ switched on all the time, most people will go out walking, have it on for up to 5 mins, no roughly where they need to go, and switch the iPAQ off again.

If you're attaching it to an eTrex, you have two options. You can leave the eTrex powered up all the time, and just power off the iPAQ and disconnect the cable. That means when you plug the cable back in and switch the iPAQ back on, you'll have a near instant fix (within a couple of seconds) and you can check the Memory-Map maps to see where you are.

The second option is you could switch both eTrex and Pocket PC off, but when you switch both on again it will take around 40-50 seconds to obtain a fix before you can see where you are on the map.

From a storage perspective, if you know the general location you are going to be within, then I would say purchase something like a 1GB IBM MicroDrive (which will sit in the Compact Flash socket of the 2210). These come in at around £180 and should give you more than enough space to load all of the Memory-Map maps to your Pocket PC.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

Thanks Dave - that is exactly what I needed.

Roy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: