Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I think I've killed my i3!? Help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I think I've killed my i3!? Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfb1977
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: I think I've killed my i3!? Help! Reply with quote

As a new i3 owner I was trying to hard wire the power cable to the back of my cigarette lighter - I hate wires everywhere....and I don't know what I've done....but I may have killed my i3....GULP!

Does anyone know if there is a re-set facility? (Here's me hoping it's got a fail safe and I haven't shorted the whole thing somehow...).

Screen is just blank and it won't work with batteries, USB or car charger connections....DOH!

Any advice appreciated...thanks guys!
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i3 doesn't have any fuse or anything so I'd guess that you probably have stuffed it Sad If you go to round about the middle of this thread you should see some posts regarding someone else who tried this (and failed).

I would not suggest following his remedy 8O
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried a hard rest
Master reset is: with unit turned off, hold down the scroll wheel and back buttons, then (keep holding them in) turn the unit on.

if you have i think you are stuffed, what did you use as the cable did you lop the end of the supplies lead, if you did not want leads all over why did you not run it off batteries.

edited by alix776 for word content
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that there isn't any. The plug contains a power convertor to reduce the car's 12v to the 3v (or whatever) that the i3 requires.

The bad news is that if you have removed the plug and wired it directly, you have killed your i3 stone dead. Crying or Very sad

Jeff.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like jeffg says,you have put 12volts thru the i3 instead of the power cables 5volts...sorry mate.
jog_on
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I've killed my i3!? Help! Reply with quote

jfb1977 wrote:
As a new i3 owner I was trying to hard wire the power cable to the back of my cigarette lighter - I hate wires everywhere....and I don't know what I've done....but I may have killed my i3....GULP!

Does anyone know if there is a re-set facility? (Here's me hoping it's got a fail safe and I haven't shorted the whole thing somehow...).

Screen is just blank and it won't work with batteries, USB or car charger connections....DOH!

Any advice appreciated...thanks guys!

I was updating my I3 to version 2.7 and the same thing happened. Was linked to my PC and lost all power, could not get it to power up again. Had to take it back for a refund. Got 199.99 back then went to comet and got one for £166 so wasn't all bad.
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully they will not open the box when he takes it back, but when they do the will be round knocking on the door
mcintyre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hard wire it in it might be best to get a cig lighter extension lead and lop the end off that instead, then plug the Garmin lead into the socket end of the extension........
jfb1977
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info guys....I think. Embarassed

I did notice the 12/5v converter, and as such left that on the cable and only removed the very end (the cig lighter adaptor bit).

I also ensured that I added a fuse in the wire as the cig lighter adaptors feature a 1a glass fuse - so (in theory) it should have been fine....note the should!

Ho hum....luckily I am a man of no morals and shall be ranting and raving at the high street store that I bought it from about the duff unit they sold me....and there was no car adaptor in the box.....would you believe it?! Twisted Evil
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfb1977 wrote:
Thanks for that info guys....I think. Embarassed

I did notice the 12/5v converter, and as such left that on the cable and only removed the very end (the cig lighter adaptor bit).

I also ensured that I added a fuse in the wire as the cig lighter adaptors feature a 1a glass fuse - so (in theory) it should have been fine....note the should!

Ho hum....luckily I am a man of no morals and shall be ranting and raving at the high street store that I bought it from about the duff unit they sold me....and there was no car adaptor in the box.....would you believe it?! Twisted Evil

plod999 where are you when the retailer needs you?? 8O
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we've been here before with this moral issue........
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:o It's dead!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=30268

Have a look at this thread. It has a pick of my install. I followed the: plug the supplied power lead into a socket (99p) then wire this to an existing fused supply. I also didn't want wires all over and apart from the one that sprouts from behind the phone cradle.... there isn't.
jfb1977
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

Well, I took the dead i3 back to where I got it from, and I didn't even have to lie! Ok, so I may not have told the WHOLE truth, I just said "I bought this the other day and now it doesn't work..." - perfectly true!

They went away, plugged it into their PC and came back and said "It doesn't seem to work, would you like a new one...."

I said "Yes please!".

And that was it. Lesson learnt however.

That said, I will be hardwiring it in - but I have a cunning plan - I'll let you know when (not if) it works and post some pics....

Cheers guys.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: