Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD card fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD card fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sitrap
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: SD card fix Reply with quote

Tried the new fix for SD card lockups on my Ipaq3970, and getting a massive increase in speed on TomTom Nav 2 address searches now. I was beginning to wonder if I would have to upgrade to Pocket PC 2003 to get a fix! Anyone else tried it yet?
catken96
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: SD card fix Reply with quote

Which new fix?

Tom.
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

Just out of interest what Rom version are you running, did you upgrade then install the SD card fix?

Richard
sitrap
Lifetime Member

The fix is on the HP software and drivers site, it is for 3970/3975 running with 2.10 of PPC2002, and well worth applying.
sitrap
Lifetime Member

Sorry Richard, I didn't read your post properly. I had been running with 2.10 of the OS already, having convinced myself that having formatted my 256 mb SD card with Storage Tools to a 32K cluster size, access times weren't too bad. But after applying the fix, it is like going back to the speed I had with ROM 2.00.
aero
Regular Visitor

Is there any point upgrading to ROM 2.10 and then applying the fix? What benefit will I gain over ROM 2.00?

Thanks.
Gpsipaq
Occasional Visitor

I tried it and I can really see the difference

Btw I suppose that if I hard reset the IPaq, I'll have to install the fix again ?

For those who are looking for it : Get the fix here
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

The changes in ROM 2.10 over 2.00 (and 1.11 over 1.00 for the non-Bluetooth 3900 series) break down like this:

Firstly, two updates previously released separately were rolled in to 2.10 (End User Update 3 and the infrared fix)

Secondly, there's a later version of iPAQ Backup in ROM in 2.10 - a version that supports scheduled backups. However, you can get a free code for Pocket Backup 2 from the Sprite Software web page (press the "iPAQ owners click here" button) that only works on an iPAQ that has iPAQ Backup in ROM. iPAQ Backup in the 39xx series ROMs is a custom version of Pocket Backup that Sprite developed for HP.

I highly recommend Pocket Backup 2 to all owners of Pocket PCs - to get version 2 for free is a great deal. If you want Pocket Backup 2 Plus, you can get the extra facilities for US$10 - again, the code will only work on an iPAQ that has iPAQ Backup in ROM.

Thirdly, support for SDIO was introduced. This was the cause of the slow SD memory access - this pretty much total rewrite of the SD drivers included in the ROM performed rather sub-optimally with SD memory cards.

Finally, there were various miscellaneous fixes, largely to do with the sound system on the iPAQ. For full details, read the download page here (that link points to the 2.10 ROM for 3970).

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: