Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - co pilot 6 upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

co pilot 6 upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell, where do you buy your rose coloured blinkers from. Perhaps if I had some when I bought CP5, I would now be perfectly happy and willing to splash £50 on an upgrade that maybe just as bad as CP5.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you think you could get a £50 upgrade when you returned your copy of CP5 for a refund?

And why do you still troll this forum if you think that TomTom is so much better?

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking metaphorically Rolling Eyes

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting little exchange in the above few posts, isn’t it? – particularly in view of the recent protests about negative content, trolling, etc.

Tell me:

Confused Which of the three member(s) involved is(are) the troll(s).
Embarassed Who is(are) being negative, unbalanced, dishonest etc. in his(their) conduct?
Censored Who is(are) seeking to deny the other(s) his(their) view(s)?
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Embarassed Who is(are) being negative, unbalanced, dishonest etc. in his(their) conduct?

Well, since you are using the embarassed icon, I assume that you must be including yourself. Laughing

Although I think that the term dishonest is being a bit harsh on yourself.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
You can go wrong if it's as flawed as CP5 was :x

Baz

I know people were having problems with it but for me it always work good I know sometimes it might give you a long route but if your going somewhere you don’t know at least it will get you their, the only thing I hate about it is the bland looking maps but I can live with that as the important thing is it gets you where you wont to go and its got to be better than tomtom with its 5 year old maps Laughing Out Loud
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrast Hellfire's most recent post with those placed by iankb and others of his persuasion.

Hellfire doesn't seek to insult those who have different views, or to deprive them of their say. Neither does he seek to deny the existence of the problems that exist within CP 5, etc. He simply says that he is prepared to live with them and that in other respects CP 5 compares favourably with TomTom.

All I need to say to Hellfire that he is entitled to his view, and that mine is different (and I won't give it here, because it is the principle that I am trying to explain, not the particular subject).

Had Hellfire said, for example, that there was nothing wrong with Copilot or that I did not have the right to mention it, then it would have been different, as indeed it would if he had resorted to cat-calling and other insults. Then, I or others would have taken issue with his representation of the facts, and may have called for more accuracy as a matter of principle.

Unfortunately, the very mention of a deficiency in Copilot is enough to produce the sort of behaviour that we see above. Could it be that it is time for some more detailed forum rules.

Is it time for a debate, on the sub-forum that exists for discussion of the workings of the forum, about what the rules should be and how they should be policed?
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the whole idea of a forum was to post constructive ideas not just spend time criticising.

On the whole I am quite happy with the performance of Co Pilot; however I do acknowledge that it does contain some bugs. Please bear in mind the following:

1) You can do all of the beta testing in the world, and then when you release the product to release some of your clients find bugs when it is being used in the real world.

2) Also how many times have you purchased software from major software houses including Microsoft, only for them to have bugs in and to have to spend time after time downloading updates!

On this occasion I have decided to give ALK the benefit of the doubt and have placed my order for version 6.

Please lets keep these forums positive and stop spending time having a go at other members.
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:

1) You can do all of the beta testing in the world, and then when you release the product to release some of your clients find bugs when it is being used in the real world.

2) Also how many times have you purchased software from major software houses including Microsoft, only for them to have bugs in and to have to spend time after time downloading updates!

1 - very true

2 - At least Microsoft bother to keep their customers informed and actually take an active interest in fixing many of their software bugs as they are found and reported. I don't mind spending any amount of time downloading updates and the like so that I get a product that actually does do as close to 100% of what it claims to do.

I do however object when i spend my hard earned cash on a product that claims on it's packaging and sales blurb to provide various specific features and also receives good reviews only to find it's more than slightly untruthful, customer services can't even be bothered to answer the phone, updates that actually work are few and far between - I've only seen 1 update to CP5 since I bought my copy back in Oct'04 and then I find that before I've got a product that works satisfactorily the company releases a new version and has the cheek to offer me a reduced price upgrade.
roger7248
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was ALK reading this, I reckon I would offer everybody updated maps for £50, and at the same time throw in a free upgrade.

Then I reckon you will all be :D

By the way, don't do a lot of travelling, but IMO CP5 is not too bad. One thing I tend to do though is put in the route before I get into the car, and if its doing something silly, get it back on track with a waypoint.

Hopefully this will not now be required. My upgrade is ordered.
TrevorFowler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the "given them my details and waiting for the phone call stage".

My biggest gripe with CP5 is that it keeps reverting back to the so called "driver safety" mode on each trip. I would prefer it to keep the same setting as what was active previously. At least it is better than Navman's Smart Street Pro which gives you a little lecture on using GPS in a vehicle and insisting you "accept" this before you are allowed to use the product.

My main reason for continuing with CoPilot over TomTom is that IMO, the Navteq maps are superior to the TeleAtlas ones. No matter how good the routing software is (and at all times it is my servant, not my master) it is not much good if the maps are inaccurate. At the very least, it is a street map of the entire country in one hand-held unit which was a dream only a few years ago.

When ALK do contact me, I will have to ask them about support for the Navman SE jacket that I use.

Overall, I've been fairly happy with CP5 - especially the Text to Speech which can almost be used on its own without looking at the display, though I would not rely on it in any vehicle bigger than a car.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Views do appear to be very polarized regading CP5, as unlike TrevorFowler, I found the Text to Speech one of the WORST aspects of the system.

The instructions were often garbled, not relevant, or often completely incomprehensible.

For example, at a local roundabout, it would announce, "Stay on A551 as A5027 splits off".

As this is on an urban/local road, there was no reference to the road numbers on any signs, so the instruction was completely useless.

Why not just announce, "At roundabout take 2nd exit", then there can be no confusion.

In my opinion, Text to Speech could work if it gave clear, concise and relevant instructions. And in understandable English. (And they need to sort the 'Meeles' problem out !!). I think ALK were trying to be too clever with this feature, and it ended up letting the whole product down.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
BigPaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Pro's and Con's Reply with quote

Does CoPilot 5 do what it says on the tin? No ~ but then, does Microsoft Access (Nope).

The answer is, unfortunately, you have to do a little work to set it to your style ~ is that a major issue? No. Is it incredible that you can see your position (even to which portion of the roundabout you are on and which way you are facing) Yep! In spades.

Search this forum (and others, but this one is good) for your wrinkles and learn how to iron them out. Are my wrinkles the same as yours ~ I doubt it, lets see.

Is CoPilot good at long distance routing; Nope. Solution Check your way with any number of online services (or, horrors, a map!) and set in a few waypoints.

Is CoPilot good at in town routing: Yep, I have NEVER had a problem.

Are the POI’s easy to update ~ not really. Solution Find (on this forum) the step by step instructions and follow them exactly ~ never a problem since.

Does Active sync work? Only slowly. Save your data to your computer hard drive and move the two files to your memory stick ~ swift and secure!

Is the UK WAV or TSS file unintelligible? Yep. Solution search this forum to find the US MARVIN voice exchange ~ clarity itself (remember to update to UK English not the default US English (aka American!))

Don’t like the routing instructions? Open the language.dat file search for uk=??? And change things to suit yourself e.g. UK = J becomes UK = junction or UK = exit. Also save this file to your hard drive for reuse. Simple.

Does it mis-find routes, wrong junction instructions etc? Tell ALK ~ fairs fair, things change, there are a lot of junctions. We can help improve the quality of the product we are using.

If travelling at speed does the display lag reality ~ Yep. Solution? Slow to the speed limit and its not too bad :-)

Is ALK poor at responding? Usually ~ solution? Find a forum and search for your problem, it probably already has an answer.

100 years ago we didn’t even have cars ~ now we can navigate to micro increments from a tiny signal from space at +70 clicks. Sure there is room for improvement but are there any showstoppers? I have not yet found them and yep, I will be updating to 6 and hoping some of the above have been addressed, but I will not be throwing my machine in the bin if they have not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: