Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motorhomes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorhomes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phily
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Motorhomes Reply with quote

Hi,

Great site and full of good info for a newbie.

Question: Are there any problems with using gps/bluetooth system in a motor home. Mine is on a

Fiat Ducato with low line roof and so far I have only seen reports on people in various makes of car.

Any advise would help.

Thanks
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Motorhomes Reply with quote

Hi Phily,

Does your Fiat Ducato have either a heated front windscreen or solar film applied to the glass. If the answer is "yes", then you might have problems if you place the BT GPS receiver on your dashboard.

However all is not lost, as you wish to use a BT GPS you should be able to locate it somewhere else in your motor home. If your motor home has a fibreglass type body/roof you might be able to site the BT GPS out of sight (always a good idea) and out of the way near the roof and still receive a signal.

Failing that do you have roof lights, if so you should be able to fix the BT GPS under the roof light for hopefully an excellent signal.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
phily
Regular Visitor

Hi Robert,

No the Fiat does not have the luxury of heated front screen or solar film, but I was worried about the overhang of the roof although this is quite small on a low line roof.

Also I do have a large plastic roof light/window which is tinted and wondered if the gps would work ok through this if I have to use this method.

Best wishes
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Hi Phily,

I'd think that the GPS should work OK through the roof light/window.

Do you have access to a handheld GPS unit? If you do, you could use that to determine the GPS signal strength throughout your motor home. As you're thinking of using a BT GPS you should be able connect to (be within range with) your Pocket PC on your dashboard regardless of where you end up placing the BT GPS.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
genes
Occasional Visitor

Hi Philly

I use my Dell Axim PDA and Holux CF in my Fiat Ducato based Bessacarr E745 motorhome which has a large overhang above the windscreen without any problems whatsoever.

I just returned from a 750 mile round trip with my PDA doing the navigating all the way and it did not put a foot wrong, except for when I gave it the wrong CL details!

I have just submitted an article to The Motorcaravanners Club (Are you a member?) if you contact me direct on terry.genes@virgin.net I would be happy to send you the word document of it.

Be happy

Terry
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Terry, if the article was suitable perhaps we could publish it as well?

I'm surprised at the lack of coverage of sat navigation equipment in the motorhome and caravan press, PocketPC solutions have hardly had any mention yet are an ideal solution, relatively inexpensive and a great solution to the "which way?" arguments!!
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

Aha!!!! A thread titled 'Motorhomes', and I wondered if Terry/genes might be here, and sure enough, I have found you :0)))))))

Terry, do you remember that you kindly offered to share your low bridges POI file with this forum and the MHList forum? Dave's suggestion was that if you would please email your low bridges POI file (and any others you are happy to share?) to him he will add them to the Pocket GPS website and also to the POI-Sync service. Hugh will then add it to the Motorhome List. It would be wonderful if you could do that. Thanks very much Buffy ;0)
genes
Occasional Visitor

Hi Buffy!

I have hesitated to post the low bridge POI as it is not complete yet as it only covers the south of England and I would hate someone to clout a bridge through relying on my incomplete POI - Ouch!

I have been using the AA truckers atlas from which I have been mapping the under 12 ft bridges, the only problem is that you need to look at each city map also as there are more low bridges in places like Glasgow than in the country. I may get the latest AA software as that also has the low bridges and I may be able to do some sort of export from it but if nothing else I should be able to establish Long/Lat from the program then manually transfer to POI edit.

Don't despair it will be available shortly but I want it to be accurate or it is of no use and potentially dangerous.

Terry

phily
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

Thanks Terry for your help, I drive an AutoTrail Tracker with lowline roof and it is good to know that you can navigate ok to CLs in UK.

I agree with Darren the lack of information for motorhome/rv users regarding a gps/pocket pcs is distgracful. All the caravan and motor caravan magazines seen to concentrate on very high priced dvd/gps systems costing thousands of pound.

I have just purchased a Navman4400+Hp 2210 from Global Positioning Systems and their service has been very good and prices reasonable.

Thanks all for your help and Darren for such a good web site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: