Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beta Testers for CP6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beta Testers for CP6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
The majority of vitriolic & repetetive posts are being made by people who don't use the software anymore and are destroying it for everyone else.

There is no place on any forum for abusing and flaming other members - except the house/hall of shame areas i've seen on other forums where such posts can be moved to and then become fair game for anyone wishing to join a slanging match which keeps things nicely seperate from the "useful" bits of the forums

If ALK had bothered to try and help their customers with problems and fix the bugs that were causing the most complaints (erratic POI reporting etc...) rather than bury their heads in the sand and keep denying there were any problems with their product (assuming you could get anyone to answer the phones in those sad dark days not so very long ago) then there would be no need for those customers to vent their frustrations on the forum and possibly seek out alternative products.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to say at this point, save, for clarification, that I am still a Copilot user and am looking forward to seeing if the new version includes the necessary improvements - the need for which I and other have clearly explained despite the trolls.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ponderous wrote.

For the past few weeks I have been using TomTom, first of all TT 3 and now TT 5, having all but given up on Copilot.

Quote:
Ponderous wrote.

COPILOT IS JUNK

and to say to potential purchasers:

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY

Quote:
Ponderous wrote.

I am still a Copilot user and am looking forward to seeing if the new version includes the necessary improvements

hmmmmm!! Quite!!!!
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i for sure will not be purchasing CP6

my copy is uninstalled and as angry as i am about the money i spent on it! its ALK who lose out in the long run. no more upgrades and i do not recommend it to anyone.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clivers

As I have said on a couple of previous occasions, I will gladly make Copilot my main navigator again - if they get the errors sorted. After my experience with TomTom, I am more, rather than less inclined that way.

Copilot is potentially streets ahead of TomTo, but not atually so.

For many, £50 is not a large sum, particularly if 7-digit postcodes are on offer. However, there is a principle at stake. Those who do not want to upgrade are still entitled to expect the product that they paid for. It would therefore be wise for ALK to issue a patch that will fix the errors in CP 5 - and also make sure that their new traffic service works with CP 5 as well.
kmhphoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
It would therefore be wise for ALK to issue a patch that will fix the errors in CP 5 - and also make sure that their new traffic service works with CP 5 as well.

Maybe they should offer a FREE upgrade to CP6 which does not include the latest maps?
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a point. There are a lot of patches on the ALK website under UK support. I haven't been through them all and I'm not sure whether they fix the major problems that some people have been experiencing. I think the patches update copilot 5 to build version 5.0.1.48.

Dave
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you will find that there are only 2 patches; one for the desktop application, and one for the navigation hardware application.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I haven't posted in while, got a bit pointless in the end, save from winding a few members up that is!

But I couldn't resist this time. ponderous, bless 'im has been slagging off CP5 since god was a lad, I, maybe others, all but pleaded with him to lay CP5 to rest and go and play with TomTom which he though could do no wrong, anything was better than CP5, even paper maps.

So he did defect to TomTom and found that, the grass was not greener, but dead in places and full of moss.

Nothings perfect, just degrees of imperfection.

Crikey!! time for bed..........................

GB
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once we agree, Grimbeard. Sure there are degrees of imperfection. The trouble with CP 5 is that there are too many of those degrees for someone who has to use the application in a work setting.
I also agree that, having tried TT 5, I am disappointed. I do try to be honest, and I also apologise when I get it wrong. I commend this example to others.

At the risk of repeating myself and feeding the trolls again, let's hope that CP 6 is the solution for those wanting to pay for new maps and 7-digit postcodes. Let's also hope that ALK recognise the folly of leaving CP 5 users in the lurch - without a fix for the faults and without being offered access to the Traffic feature.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that the average tradesperson who uses it for daily deliveries, etc, would be able to justify the upgrade cost - if it gave them better maps, 7-digit postcodes and improved their workflow. It doesn't seem logical for them to stick with CP5 unless CP6 is significantly worse. And I can't see why a significantly-altered CP5 would be any more reliably than CP6. Also, any time spent on them fixing CP5 would be lost time in fixing CP6's bugs.

You might want to push for a free upgrade to CP6, but I can't see any sense in pushing for a significantly-upgraded CP5, which is mostly what CP6 is anyway. Unless, of course, you think that one will lead to the other. Wink

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
I would have thought that the average tradesperson who uses it for daily deliveries, etc, would be able to justify the upgrade cost :

I don't think Mr. Ponderous is your average tradesperson, judging by his shakespearean style. :D

He and I share a special disappointment in CP5's back-road navigation deficiencies, though I am still in the camp of satisfied users.

And I don't think the upgrade cost is important for either of us. For him it's a matter of principle, and for me it's "hurry up and ship me the fixed software!"
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker says, and for me it's "hurry up and ship me the fixed software!"

Quite a leap of faith when you consider ALK's complete contempt for their customers complaints with CP5. What evidence is there that ANY of the problems with CP5 have even been addressed.

The new version may be just a different interface and updated maps, but with the same broken engine driving it.

Again, has anyone (including the PGPSW team) had any involvement beta testing the new version. PGPSW have said in the past that they are usually approached by GPS developers to perform beta testing ?? I would have thought with Dave Burrow's close links with PGPSW, that they would have been the first to receive a beta version?

Furthermore, of ALK's authorised retailers, only Handnav appear to advertise CP6. None of the other retailers make any reference to it, or even advertise it as a pre-order' item. So, is it available or not ??

Whoever, is the first to receive the new version, I would be interested to see the result of some of the routing tests (Skippy tests) that CP5 failed so miserably with.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:

Quite a leap of faith

ALK told me I would be a beta tester for the V6 US version, but this didn't happen and they tell me that beta testing is already done. Oh well.

I am still an enthusiastic CP user, just eager for the fixes.

The V6 screenshots (only visible on the UK support site) show me a tantalizing answer to one of my big wishlist items: personalized routing profiles. You can finally have named sets of routing preferences. I wish that would include additional vehicle types, like motorcycle, but as far as I can tell it's still only auto and RV (caravan in UK?).

Surely the developers are not idiots and have tested the new routing preferences for proper routing solutions, and they have to be well aware of the routing failures in CP5. OK, that's a leap of faith.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
Again, has anyone (including the PGPSW team) had any involvement beta testing the new version. PGPSW have said in the past that they are usually approached by GPS developers to perform beta testing ?? I would have thought with Dave Burrow's close links with PGPSW, that they would have been the first to receive a beta version?

No we have not been involved in Beta testing nor have we yet seen v6.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: