Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman 3450
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman 3450
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Totally Lost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman 3450 Reply with quote

It would appear the 3450 review is an almost cut'n'paste of the 4400. Comments on fixing & price are the same on the 2 units.

I also have a question. I have recently bought the 3450 setup & despite some startup problems (incorrect delivery, wrong suction mount) unit now works. Overall find the setup acceptable. Considering I am in Central London, I have been told it will not always work.

My particular concern is with the ability to show intersections. The unit just highlights the whole of the first set street, rather than just the area around the intersection. Is this a general SmartPath issue, or just something wrong with mine?
onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman 3450 Reply with quote

gambitgander, I appreciate you pointing this out to me, the Urban Canyon issue from my knowledge (which isn't great) only noticably effects the perfomance on generally weak recievers, the 3400 is in no doubt a very weak receiver, the leadtek 9531/2 or the haicom 202e do not suffer these issues or do, but it doesn't really effect your ability to get to where you want to, this is where fast re-acquisition times come into effect. The 3450 as you know has the ability to pick up gps signals from an external antenna which i'm sure helps a great deal, and also the emtac sleeve also does not suffer this problem a great deal as darren mentioned earlier, hopefully the unlocked software and a new receiver will sort out this issue
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

Onbashi, you must realise that the problem with Urban Canyons is not a software issue, it is a hardware issue. I have tested my GPS 3450 and a Garmin Street Pilot III in Tottenham Court Road and Picadilly and neither of these were able to maintain a good sat fix. The receiver simply cannot track enough sats, and a GPS signal is only 1 tenth the strength of a radio signal.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

sorry dave, you may have moved the messages to the wrong place, the fix is actually for the navman 3000 sleeve,

sorry to be a pain
Dave
Frequent Visitor

The antistatic messages on this thread have now been moved to the new thread Navman Sleeve Quick Fix - AntiStatic bag in the Emtac Forum.
sfi1
Regular Visitor

Darren, you say that you use an emtac jacket but that's not an option with the smartST software as it's locked to the navman jacket. They really should allow registered users with the old jacket a free update to the non-locked version. It'll still mean buying a new receiver but at the moment the only option is to buy a new system. I know they're trying to protect their hardware revenues but they could at least offer the 4400 or the unlocked software with a GOOD wired receiver (for those without BT) at a very special reduced rate.

If i'm forced to purchase another system to get one that i can actually use reliably for navigating at full price then it'll be from someone else as being left in the lurch doesn't feel good.

The ball is in Navman's court and I do hope they can come up with a solution to this as i still think they've got some of the best maps out there.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

I'm currently in contact with ricki from navman regarding this issue, the reason that i purchased this unit was to navigate through central London, many have been patiently waiting and have been expecting a software fix but it seems obvious now that this will not happen, unfortunately my patients with navman has led to having the unit for too long therefore i cant get a refund and purchase the 3450, and it gets better, theres not even a upgrade path!, hmmm! so it looks like this product has claimed to do what it doesn't, I feel a battle coming on!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

You may want to consider a re-radiating antenna if reception in such situations is important to you. This will certainly improve your chances of maintaining a lock. Until recently I used a Navman 3000 Jacket and whilst I did lose lock on occasion it was OK but I always seemed to have less trouble with mine than other PocketGPS staff!
onbashi
Regular Visitor

darren, you are a lucky one, my 3400 doesnt work at all in central london and guess what i too was expecting a software fix, now that i know it wont happen, i believe i have waisted my money!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

The problem with built up areas such as central London is the 'Urban Canyon' issue. Less sensitive receivers are more prone to signal loss in such situations and the Jacket based receivers suffer the most. With the 3450 you do have the option of using an external antenna which will help a good deal.

FWIW I use an Emtac Jacket and although satellite reception can be marginal when driving through London I rarely lose lock completely.
sfi1
Regular Visitor

Totally lost, Who has told you that it won't always work in central london. As a 3400 user i was hoping that an update to the receiver would fix this problem. As i have an 3850 without bluetooth the 4400 is a no go and the new receiver is available as an upgrade from navman themselves (£169 - ouch)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

We have now completed the Navman 3450 GPS Sleeve review. This is a much needed and enhanced sleeve which boasts a greater performance over previous sleeve versions, including a new military style crystal and an external antenna socket!

The full review can be read here
dokteriq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Need a quick favor. I work for the United Nations and we got one of these sleeves as a gift from DFID UK. They forgot to send me the APPLICATION CD for this. Apparently the thing is too old and NAVMAN no longer support it.

I just called their technical assistance and the guy told me to find someone on the internet and get a copy of the APPLICATION CD. He would then generate a product key for me on their end.

Could someone be kind enough to upload the contents of the CD somewhere?

Regards,

Iqbal Shahid
IT Manager
United Nations - OCHA
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iqbal,

It would be wholly inappropriate, not to mention illegal, to do as you ask as this would be a clear breach of copywrite.

Further - We only have your word that you really are who you say you are, and that someone at Navman has given "permission" for someone with a legitimate copy of their software to provide it to you in this way.

For information the Navman GPS 3450 sleeve will also work with any other GPS software using the NMEA standard.

The above having been said, and wishing to help such a worthy cause if genuine, then if you can make the arrangements and provide details of the contact you spoke to at Navman via a Private Message, once I have confirmed with them that it is in order to do so, I will send THEM a copy of my software for onward transmisson to you.
dokteriq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check the PM Smile

coconut wrote:
Iqbal,

It would be wholly inappropriate, not to mention illegal, to do as you ask as this would be a clear breach of copywrite.

Further - We only have your word that you really are who you say you are, and that someone at Navman has given "permission" for someone with a legitimate copy of their software to provide it to you in this way.

For information the Navman GPS 3450 sleeve will also work with any other GPS software using the NMEA standard.

The above having been said, and wishing to help such a worthy cause if genuine, then if you can make the arrangements and provide details of the contact you spoke to at Navman via a Private Message, once I have confirmed with them that it is in order to do so, I will send THEM a copy of my software for onward transmisson to you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: