Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Decode the GPS Track file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Decode the GPS Track file
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Decode the GPS Track file Reply with quote

Can anybody point me to the decode for the gps track file data?
It appears there are four rows of data ($GPRMC, $GPGSA, $GPGSV, $GPGSV) repeated for each saved data. Picking out the lat/long is easy, but the speed, heading and timestamp are harder. Any suggestions? Paul
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google the web for $GPRMC

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BigPaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
google the web for $GPRMC

The first hit was http://home.mira.net/~gnb/gps/nmea.html which answered things I had not even thought to ask. Thanks for the reminder of the power of this search engine.

Paul
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you actually open up the .gps files that are in the gpstracks folder, I have tried downloading them onto my desktop and then to open them up in word without luck?

Also is there a way of playing them back in copilot, and watching it follow the route you took with each track?

Steve
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
Also is there a way of playing them back in copilot, and watching it follow the route you took with each track?

The track files are created as one for each day, and you can only play them back from the beginning, although at various speeds.

First, setup a route that corresponds to the first trip of the selected day.

Go into the GPS menu within CoPilot and untick 'Receiving'.

Select 'Open GPS Track' from the menu, and choose the corresponding day's track file.

Select 'Play GPS track' from the menu.

It will now play back your complete route. You can change the speed of playback via the 'GPS Options' menu.

I often wonder whether the police could use this to prosecute you for speeding, when they could see (very-accurately) the speeds that you did for the whole of the last few months. Embarassed

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
I often wonder whether the police could use this to prosecute you for speeding, when they could see (very-accurately) the speeds that you did for the whole of the last few months. Embarassed

I've often wondered too. What if the conversation went something like this:

Police According to these tracklogs, you were speeding Stop!
:| That wasn't me driving

Police Then who was driving your car at the time these logs were recorded?
:| No one was driving it

Police Then how did these tracklogs get recorded then?
:| Someone borrowed my GPS

Police Who borrowed it?
:| No comment. (You don't have to say anything,except who was driving your car) Taunt

Of course, if your car is upside down on the M25 and you are on your way to hospital then you are up sh1t creek. I don't know if the data could be used in evidence or not. Confused

Anyone know if this has been tested in court? I know people have been prosecuted on the basis of videos they have recorded while driving/riding (unless you are a copper of course, in which case you were just "testing the car out"). Rolling Eyes
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great iankb, now I can playback all my tracks of my holiday.

But as you play each track back you can only select one sort of information at a time such as your speed you were doing or road number by clicking on the red flag at the bottom left of the screen. Is there anyway of opening these files up and viewing all data? Then I could plot the route on a larger mapping programme and have a better overall view?

Thanks

Steve
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has always been on my CoPilot wishlist to have a GPSTrack Viewer function on the desktop PC.

Playback of the GPSTracks on the PPC is not really very useful to me, but on a high-resolution desktop it would be wonderful to playback a trip at any speed, including the pauses at fill-ups etc. This would make an excellent background for a slideshow about a vacation trip.

The functionality seems so obvious. And since the GPSTracks format seems very generic, aren't there third party Viewer applications available to dynamically display trips from many different GPS devices?

Another related wishlist function would be to convert GPSTracks back into map data, in the form of a personal overlay that could be displayed along with the installed map data. Your own driveway would be optionally shown, as well as favorite paths through the woods where you have walked (and might want to take your motorcycle on).

The "driveways" function would have an extra benefit in overcoming a current annoyance in CP: when you start a trip from some point off the highway (such as at your own garage 1/4 mile from the road) the route determination and guidance are not available until you reach the road, so you can't see the itinerary or ETA. instead you see "Air miles" to destination. You have to switch to planning mode and declare a start point that is on the road to get any idea of ETA. It doesn't seem that hard to personalize the map data a little bit.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it but this bit of software http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com/html/logconverter.html may do what you want. The site also has some converters for POIs.

Phil
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it would use the CoPilot track files, but you would need to buy another program to display them in. Also, they are only likely to display the track, and not play them back over a period.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
I've just had a little play with it and you can convert and load a logfile into Autoroute as pushpins. It creates a pushpin for each lat/long in the log file and you can then use the data import wizard in AR a bit primative but you can see where you've been during the day.
Phil
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PhilB for the tip on the LogConverter program, and thanks to Oldie for creating it.

It was easy to download, install and use. But unfortunately I do not have any viewer to use for the output, as Ian said.

I don't have Autoroute, thinking about getting it just for the ability to view these GPS Tracks finally.

Do you suppose Oldie has any plans to pass the output to CoPilot itself, or to an overlay of a BMP screenshot from CoPilot?

I am a lazy programmer: in this case I just want an app to do the job. I am grateful for the hardworking developers out there
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PhilB,

I will be looking around on the internet for a mapping programme and inport my tracklogs so I can view my route history.

Steve
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had another quick play and you can use the CPL desktop to import custom places (look under Tools dropdown) and it will import .asc (AR pushpins) or .csv and other type files so worth having a bit of a play and it may do more of what you want.
Phil
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilB wrote:
you can use the CPL desktop to import custom places...

I'm not succeeding. If I understand right, the intent here is to convert a GPSTrack file into a custom POI database, then adjust the Map Features on Desktop to display the Custom POI, superimposed on the map. Then hopefully you would see about one dot for each few seconds of driving time. I don't see any new 'dots'.

The LogConverter program worked well to create both an .ASC file and a .CSV file. The CP import wizard confused me, but it seemed to succeed with the .CSV, at least creating a spreadsheet for all the 'points' I had visited. But I could not display this.

I suppose if I got the .ASC file to be accepted by the CP wizard I would see a sequence of pushpins, but that isn't working either, can't complete the wizard questions.

Anyhow, at best this would just display a static loop for a trip, and it's a lot of effort. It's a start, but I want a robust viewer ready to run.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: