Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Nav's the new target for thieves!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Nav's the new target for thieves!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobM2208
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Sat Nav's the new target for thieves!!! Reply with quote

All
Hope you don't mind me posting this warning here.

2 weeks ago I had my Ipaq 5555 and Arkon window mount stolen from my vehicle (thief smashed drivers window to gain access)

Ok my fault I hear you all say... however many of you like myself may do the same thing. I locked the Ipaq in my glovebox (as many TT Go users do) however, the police have advised that thieves are checking cars for window mount brackets and TT Go holders then forcing the glove box as so many ppl lock the TT unit in the glove box.

The police advise that since the mobile phone networks all got together and blocked stolen mobiles from all networks, Sat Nav systems are the new target for thieves as they are very small, expensive and in demand.

Please be careful and take your TT with you (including the small TT GPS receivers)

Cheers
Rob
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also recommend you write down the serial number or device ID of your GPS hardware and/or Pocket PC. This will at least give you something to tell the police, and they have a better chance to identify your goods.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Johnmcl7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning.

I'm currently in the process of choosing a cradle for my Dell Axim X50V, bearing the above warning in mind, what cradle would be easy to remove when the car is not in use? If there's a cheap non-powered one that would be easy to remove, I would definitely like to know.

John
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best solution for your X50V might be a suction mount, that's what i use for my X3i. The only evidence it leaves is a circular ring which you can easily wipe off.
I made a cradle from an aluminium case with the cover cut off and the hinges ground away and stuck it to the end of the suction mount flexible stem. I've a Haicom wired receiver and leave the whole lot (except for the Dell) in the locked glove box.
nnishp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking about stealing sat nav, in bolton (where im from) our ambulances use sat nav to get to places quickly (they use one of the out of the box solutions) and in the news yesterday it was saying how this one had gone to a house and some one jumped into it while everyone was in the house and stole the sat nav. What kind of does this? Does he not realise that when his mum is having problems due to her crack addiction they will tka elonger to get to her because they dont have their sat nav. .
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, leave the window mount in the car, but always take the device with me. If tomtom found a way to lock the units, this would reduce / stop this altogether. Maybe a system where you have to register the product every 6 months?? I wouldnt mind having to do this if it stopped these scumbags!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat Nav's the new target for thieves!!! Reply with quote

RobM2208 wrote:
All
Hope you don't mind me posting this warning here.

2 weeks ago I had my Ipaq 5555 and Arkon window mount stolen from my vehicle (thief smashed drivers window to gain access)

Please be careful and take your TT with you (including the small TT GPS receivers)

Cheers
Rob

Sorry to hear about your theft. It really amazes me as I still see people leaving them in cars on full display at the services. I don't care if someone steals my mount but I won't leave the PDA in the car . . ANYWHERE. I think if I had a GO I'd leave it in the car too as it has no use outside. The PDA gets used all day for other things too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
I too, leave the window mount in the car, but always take the device with me. If tomtom found a way to lock the units, this would reduce / stop this altogether. Maybe a system where you have to register the product every 6 months?? I wouldnt mind having to do this if it stopped these scumbags!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

If the gps is being stolen to sell I don't think the thief would be too bothered if his customer only had a few months use out of it before it was locked ... When I leave my car I remove the mount and open the glove box to show its empty touch wood it's worked up until now!

Dave
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
If the gps is being stolen to sell I don't think the thief would be too bothered if his customer only had a few months use out of it before it was locked ... When I leave my car I remove the mount and open the glove box to show its empty touch wood it's worked up until now!

I admire your dedication!!!! I wouldn't be able to keep that up for long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
I too, leave the window mount in the car, but always take the device with me.

If you have a visible window mount it makes you the target. The thief sees the mount, smashes the side window and opens the glove box - it takes seconds. The fact that he does not get the Sat Nav electronics does not stop the crime and having a repair job with all the hassle with the loss of the car for the day and/or loss of the no claims on the insurance.

Quote:

If tomtom found a way to lock the units, this would reduce / stop this altogether.

Not at all, in some areas any thing visible that looks like it will be worth money will attract the smash and grab thief. Leaving a window mount in place indicates that the device may be in the glove box.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anarchy-inc wrote:
oddsock wrote:

I admire your dedication!!!! I wouldn't be able to keep that up for long.

I don't like to lose money so dedication comes easy Wink Laughing

Dave
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have a visible window mount it makes you the target. The thief sees the mount, smashes the side window and opens the glove box - it takes seconds. The fact that he does not get the Sat Nav electronics does not stop the crime and having a repair job with all the hassle with the loss of the car for the day and/or loss of the no claims on the insurance.

Maybe if the thief tried this 100 times and did not get anything, he wouldn't bother trying it anymore. The fact is that thiefs usually operate on a percentage basis. Not speaking from experience here but I'm sure if nobody left their devices in the car, the thiefs wouldnt bother. I can't see much value with having 50 mounts. As for the insurance, if you are fully comp, the replacement of the glass shouldn't have an effect on your no claims.

Quote:

Not at all, in some areas any thing visible that looks like it will be worth money will attract the smash and grab thief. Leaving a window mount in place indicates that the device may be in the glove box.

Again, the same statement as above.

I'm not taking the but all i'm saying is that if nobody left their devices in the car, there would be no point in breaking in. I have the PDA version and NEVER leave it in the car. Also, the lady in charge has a GO (apparently it is too difficult for her to use the PDA) Rolling Eyes However, she too never leaves this in the car.
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I ALWAYS remove my iPAQ, and always make sure my Globalsat338 (Or is it a 388?) is not on show, but I must admit to leaving my old Navman jacket on show (Used purely as a mount).....maybe I shoul dthink about taking that off too....

Thanks for the heads up
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't beleeive people are stupid enough to leave their PPC in the car! I have been leaving the mount in plain view and taking the PPC away in a hard case. The GPSr remains mounted but is not in view. I have done this in the confident knowlege that no one was tupid enough to just stuff the works in the glove compartment!
generationgav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave my mount in; but I'm considering moving it underneath my cd player and sticking it to the plastic where it'll be less noticable.
I always take my PDA with me but my Haicom stays locked in the glove compartment (it lives there when in use anyway as it works fine)
I'm wondering if I should start removing my mount though; but it really does seem such an effort.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: