Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - T Mobile MDA III
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

T Mobile MDA III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: T Mobile MDA III Reply with quote

I am considering an upgrade to my T Mobile phone and can get the MDA III for only £40 - I am seriously considering this as it will mean I only have to carry the one gadget in my car rather than a PDA and my phone.

However I am not sure and would appreciate any help or advice anyone can supply or suggest, here are a few of my thoughts/questions

Does the unit come with a carry case/cradle/car charger?

Is there a screen mount (preferably a charging mount)
available for this model? I also have the Fortuna Clip on and would really like to charge this from the mount too if possible

Can calls be made and received at the same time as the unit is being used for satnav?

Will my current (TomTom 3) be installable on this unit? Can it be upgraded when I am ready to do so?

Plus of course anything else I may not have thought of

Thanks in advance

Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, have a read of this it will give you an idea before you purchase - its the same unit I use, just a different supplier - watch any active interface the supllier loads and find out how to get rid before you purchase, the rest of the notes in the link are pointers as to where this device will catch you out -
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28396
Out of you questions about the only one I can answer is that when in sat nav mode you can answer a call the nav goes to mute but that is with TT5,1 - version 5,0 will be of little use to you as the onboard keyboard will give you massive problems in putting data when docked n the car cradle - Mike
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have now got the brute and can answer my own questions - with all due respect and deference to the one reply I received from Mikealder.... Smile

1) The unit comes with a carry case (rubbish), cradle, but no car charger

2) Yes there is a screen mount available which will both charge the Phone/PDA and the Fortuna Clip on - Available for £35 or so from Gpsforless

3) Answered by Mikealder - yes you can

To add to this - I am well happy with this bit of kit - it does more than I first thought and has every method of connectivity I can ever need!! :D :D

Next question - which is much more general.

I know I can only use my TTN3 (very soon to be upgraded to TTN5) on one device, but if I upgrade to V5 on my current Ipaq 2210 will I then be able to install to my MDA III (and of course delete from the Ipaq - which my wife will then use as a pocket memo etc) - which would be the best way to go about this? Install TTN3 on the MDA III and then run the upgrade disks when they arrive or what?

I'm sure there must be a "best way", I just don't want to fall foul of TomTom's activation system as the software was on another machine

Thanks for any help

Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, they are a good device, if you use it for mobile internet access watch the price tariff - check the small print, or get the excellent spb GPRS traffic manager. The other good purchase was a double life battery off e-bay for £22, as for the upgrade I would wait until it arrives, this way it will avoid consuming valuable memory space etc. - Mike
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Thanks for your kind assistance - No I hadn't thought of checking the GPRS tarrifs (cheers for that!)

One question I do have though is, on another thread you have mentioned that the O2 unit you have, which is basically the same as the T-Mobile phone, has a thing called the "Active interface" - hmmm what is this as I cannot see anything which seems to equate to this - how can I tell?

Many Thanks once again for your assistance

Steve
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveg wrote:
One question I do have though is, on another thread you have mentioned that the O2 unit you have, which is basically the same as the T-Mobile phone, has a thing called the "Active interface" - hmmm what is this as I cannot see anything which seems to equate to this - how can I tell?

Its things like the today screen and internet links and other software which will have T-mobile stamped all over them. The O2 one can make some devices a little unstable though I've never had too much trouble. If you get rid of it though many of the GPRS setting go too which means that you'll have to put them on manually. These should be fairly easy to replace.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: