Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator Ranked No1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator Ranked No1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Destinator Ranked No1 Reply with quote

Quote:
PRESS RELEASE

Destinator Ranked No.1 in UK Handheld Navigation Market

According to Canalys market analysis data, ‘Destinator’ Software, from the leading navigation solution provider, Destinator Europe, is the No.1 choice for handheld navigation in the UK!

Munich, Germany, 13th October 2005 - As well as holding the top spot in the UK handheld navigation software market, Canalys reported that Destinator Europe holds the No.2 spot in Europe with a market share of 12.3 %. According to Canalys data, Destinator Europe have also secured the No.3 position in the total European mobile navigation market for the third quarter in a row with unit sales growing by 100% in Q2 2005. The combined success of all Destinator offices is expected to exceed over 1 million total units shipped by fiscal year end.

As one of the fastest growing companies in the mobile navigation market, not only has its sales figures grown exponentially over the last year, but so too has its number of employees. With the Destinator brand growing at such a rapid rate across Europe in countries such as France, Germany, Italy and the UK, the parent company of Destinator Europe, Destinator Technologies Inc. have opened offices outside the European market in countries such as the US and China, where Destinator Technologies Inc. intends to push aggressively towards attaining a market leadership position.

Destinator Technologies Inc. considers China and the US as two of the fastest growing markets and recognises them as important centres of technological development. Having dominated the market by selling its software solutions as standalone packages and as value add-on’s for local distributors, Destinator Technologies Inc. is now committed to its strategy of software only sales, and logically intends to build key relationships with strategic hardware partners in the US and China to develop software specifically adapted to navigation devices.

‘Destinator Europe has achieved yet another milestone’, says Godehard Gerling, VP of Business Development Europe. ‘We are delighted that the UK market has been so buoyant and that our strong presence has been dually noted by Canalys. We are now committed to developing and marketing our navigation software in close cooperation with strategic hardware partners to strengthen our global market position. The expansion into markets such as China and the US emphasises our commitment to our global sales strategy,’ Godehard concluded.

Destinator Europe will shortly rename itself ‘Destinator Technologies’ as part of the desired unified company identity.

nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok; let's hope they WILL make a VGA-supporting PN version SOON...
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destinator doesn't even figure in my plans any more. Bought a PDA with it on and it was cr*p. Lots of wrong instructions for which you had to look at the screen to confirm it was wrong, map showed a position of up to 200 yards from actual position, difficult to find places in "town" mode search, part postcodes.

Switched to Tom Tom and found the experience 1000 times better.

Regards

Mark
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT5 must be the more advanced currently but doesn't even figure in MY plans. Reason? VERY VERY VERY poor Greek coverage (even worse than the time of old TT Routeplanner)...

Unfortunately NGi (nice local company that among other projects, makes local computerized detailed maps) has (probably exclusive) cooperation with Destinator company. My luck...
Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad :x Rolling Eyes
JonnyW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: TTN far superior to Destinator Reply with quote

I hope I don't upset too many people when I say - in my opinion - Destinator is trash.

I had an oportunity to test this against TTN5.1 and found TTN5.1 far easier to use, especially with the PGPSW POI's. TomTom's OWN keypad makes it easier to enter information aned destinations whereas Destinator relies on the PDA's keypad.

This is only a few features that TTN - again, in my opinion - triumphs over Destinator.
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must have compared with D3 because D PN does have its own pad
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet their PC support and CS is poor and you get no response from their SDK team when asking questions before buying with currently is acknollaged as broken ( http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57953 ) - their Press team are fractionally slower and dont seem to know whats going on either.....

Its a shame.... and the justification for this is that the PDA / Smart phone market has more profit in it.

I found a lot of this out when writing a recent still to be published article.

Sorry to be negative and if any one form Destinator wishes to talk directly to my self they are more than welcome to do so....

Terran
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just add that if you wish to use Mapmonkey or Freedrive ( or Garonav which is a new PC Front end ) you have to buy the latest PPC version for the maps, then buy the SDK ( and extra $50 ) then keep asking then for the PC DLL... which last time was timed to expire after a certain date any way and has since not been replaced.

If they where to concetrate on providing at least a good way or getting the DLL etc without having to pay a premium or feel like a 2nd rate citerzen I would welcome it... and in fact if you look at Mp3car.com you will see I am not alone in this....

Its just a shame there is not a fully viable option at the mo, and before you say it Alturion, Co-Pilot and Infomap all have thier failings in the mobile PC world.

Terran

Terran
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccsnet wrote:
and before you say it Alturion, Co-Pilot and Infomap all have thier failings in the mobile PC world.

What about iNav? And the latest version of AutoRoute has Voice at long last!
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
ccsnet wrote:
and before you say it Alturion, Co-Pilot and Infomap all have thier failings in the mobile PC world.

What about iNav? And the latest version of AutoRoute has Voice at long last!
To be the ideal app it needs to be supported and have a good SDK as well as decent maps and views. If a raw app it has to work well with a touch screen and if there is an SDK available ( and Alturions is still too fresh ) then it needs to be very functional and able to integrate.

An example is Freedrive... - http://www.x-digital.addr.com

It is an app in its own right and just uses D3 as the engine alone ( see its function ). This app can then be integrated in to a number of the front ends seamlessly.

Autoroute is the opposite - excellent app but no SDK, no 3D mapping, and very Windows based - ie touch screen friendly.

Iguidence and Co-Pilot are halfway houses that are apps that are Ok as they come but not seamless.

I believe from emails I had for the affore mentioned article that Infomaps next version ( Chrimbo I'm told ) will be more Touchscreen freindly and that the version after that will support TMC... but that’s a while off and until Alturions SDK improves there is no real contender.....

I just wish Powerloc listened to our ( CarPC ) community because there is a demand - although smaller than PPC it is still there /rant ;)

Terran
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see what all the hype is about with the destinator software. Maybe someone I know will let me try it.

But for the time being, I just dont see anything wrong with the tele atlas software I use on the TomTom 300. I cant believe its knows where I am going in the middle of nowhere hicksville North Carolina tonight.
joeninety
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not the biggest fan of destinator either, it doesnt seem very user friendly for those new to GPS and has limited support inmy opinion.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Have you used TomTom at all? Its all that I have had experience with so far, but I think the maps from TeleAtlas are pretty good
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yes I guess when someone lives in DC, map coverage is just fine from any map source

ask us that live in those "second grade" (for the companies) countries

(interesting to see - if someone can stand the insult - that when those big map source companies talk about "Europe" they don't necessarily mean Greece (although even the name "Europe" comes from there and although Greece is one of the original ten members of the E.U.)...

even Destinator's Greece coverage DOESN'T come from any of the two major map source companies, but from a local company

at least D3 has made effort to find the appropriate source - TomTom didn't (and what makes it even worse, is that TT *DID HAVE* Greek support where later versions do not)

sorry, seems it got me started again...
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this whole thread fascinating because it follows the exact pattern I took with PPC GPS apps and the perceptions are so familiar.

In the Destinator forum you'll find plenty of threads from me in various states of annoyance or relief at finally getting something sorted (or not). First of all, Destinator 3 seems to be (rightly) the app most slated and PowerLoc could do themselves a favour by stopping their supply to people like ACER as a bundled item. Its out of date and doesn't encourage people to upgrade it just puts them off!!!! I bought the Girfriend an N35 and I ended up buying Tom Tom for her because it drove her mad.

But having in the last 12 months run Destinator 3, Destinator PN, Navman Smart ST V3 and Tom Tom Navigator 5, I would like to say that Tom Tom will continue to thrive but isn't the panacea its cracked up to be. Out of the box Tom Tom excels and a 5 year old could be navigating in seconds because their UI is first class. Its an absolute breath of fresh air after any of the others. But under the skin it isn't necessarily the best at navigating IMHO. Destinator PN (NOT Destinator3!!!) is a good navigation program that, when run side by side over long journeys with TOM TOM, gives you all you need...... BUT..... that user interface.... AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!. If ever there was a ship spoilt for a hapeth of tar then that is Destinator PN. Under the skin it has the ability to navigate you seamlessly, without incident and across most of europe, the UK and the US. And I've tried it, and it works.

But Destinator is doomed to fail because:

a) their customer support is grim even compared with the woeful attempts from their competitors.
b) they develop updates as a weekend job for one man in a german garden shed
c) their user interface should come with a free course to prevent the roadsides being littered with tyre marked PDAs
d) Their POI management is truly the worst implementation of the genre ever encountered and really only works if you are competent at reworking their software (check out the forum!) or you can be bothered to run something like POI Observer behind it.

I can see why PowerLoc's products form the basis of other programs because I truly believe it is good at its job. So by bolting a new GUI on the front and writing custom apps for fleets or OEMs etc they are on a winner. But as a consumer product it fails miserably. I'm thinking of buying my retired father a GPS package for christmas and it won't be Destinator PN much as I have a fondness for it because I don't think its user friendly enough. It shames me to say I'd buy him Tom Tom even though I know at heart PN is better at its given task.

And if thats the way the rest of the world act then PowerLoc better start responding or it'll be fleet solutions for ever for them.

All I want for christmas is a service pack for PN with easy speed camera integration etc. Think I'll be disappointed on Crimble Day. :-(
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: