Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cornwalls back lanes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cornwalls back lanes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-in-Cornwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Cornwalls back lanes Reply with quote

Just wondering,

Have any of you driven around the many back lanes in Cornwall? If so were they shown or were you directed along them via TTN5? I'm asking as I can end up driving some of the lanes and often end up trying to find some places during my working week.

Many thanks,

Paul
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can only say st ives and surrounding area with tomtom 3 and they seemed allright way back then ,well it got me to where i wanted to go back that was just getting around on holiday ,you might be in more need of even minor roads ,so maybe i'm not the best person to reply
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornwalls back lanes Reply with quote

Paul-in-Cornwall wrote:
Just wondering,

Have any of you driven around the many back lanes in Cornwall? If so were they shown or were you directed along them via TTN5? I'm asking as I can end up driving some of the lanes and often end up trying to find some places during my working week.

Many thanks,

Paul

Well a small part of Cornwall around Carne Beach, Veryan-in-Roseland, as I stay most years at a hotel there, The Nare, lots of narrow lanes, and yes I did get lost in them, but just clicked Recent Destinations, The Nare, and within 10 mins was back no trouble at all, apart from the reversing to let others pass.
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just spent a week on holiday in devon and cornwall, tomtom always picked the shortest route, including roads that we would not have been able to open the car doors if we had needed to! the roads were all shown and we did nearly 1400 miles in a week without any problems.
(except the wife saying "your to close to the verge!") Laughing
bobtown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had two weeks touring Cornwall recently with TomTom5, no problems at all. All the roads/lanes we went down were all marked on the map. I used it to avoid the traffic on the way down and it was superb, took us off the A30 and down small lanes and villages and straight to our destination!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Paul-in-Cornwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornwalls back lanes Reply with quote

Cheers guys, thats what I was hoping to hear.... Smile

Pocketgps wrote:

Well a small part of Cornwall around Carne Beach, Veryan-in-Roseland, as I stay most years at a hotel there, The Nare, lots of narrow lanes, and yes I did get lost in them, but just clicked Recent Destinations, The Nare, and within 10 mins was back no trouble at all, apart from the reversing to let others pass.

Ah those are the type of lanes, just need some to know how to reverse and we'll all be happy Laughing

aliendad wrote:

just spent a week on holiday in devon and cornwall, tomtom always picked the shortest route, including roads that we would not have been able to open the car doors if we had needed to! the roads were all shown and we did nearly 1400 miles in a week without any problems.
(except the wife saying "your to close to the verge!")

Been down some with grass down the middle and mirrors touching the hedges and praying not to meet anything, if they are all on the maps then it'll be a godsend, never know sometimes whether I should be going down them or not Confused (My wife is the same, she wont even drive down them either, unless she has no choice Smile )

bobtown wrote:

Had two weeks touring Cornwall recently with TomTom5, no problems at all. All the roads/lanes we went down were all marked on the map. I used it to avoid the traffic on the way down and it was superb, took us off the A30 and down small lanes and villages and straight to our destination!

Often go down a back lane to miss the huge queues at Dobwalls on the A38, but if to late to take that, I wonder if TTN5 would help, well ordering my TTN5 car kit this week now in the knowledge it probably will, many many thanks again guys

Paul
garyparson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it this week on roads round Devon and last couple of years round Cornwall. I find it annoying having to be taken on one of these 'grass in the middle' roads with no way of turning back when you're on it. There should be an option to avoid them unless neccesary.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the route first and if you don't like the roads chosen, avoid them using the option.
bowler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recently returned from staying at an obscure farm way off the beaten track TT5 performed very well.
Finding the location which was down single track roads for 2 miles the first time using the postcode of the farm was very inaccurate as it took me to the hamlet (3 houses) that the postcode represented.
Once i had found the farm I stored the location as a favorite and TT took me to the farm gates every time after that. Interesting
ly it did not take me to the stored location which was probably nearly half a mile from the farm gates but stopped at the end of the tarmaced road.
garyparson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
Check the route first and if you don't like the roads chosen, avoid them using the option.

All well and good if you know the road but then I don't, hence the use of a gps. Also, there isn't a difference between real small grass in the middle roads and useable ones. You don't know untill you're either in the middle of said dodgy road or travelled far enough to the dodgy road that makes going another way pointless.
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowler wrote:
Just recently returned from staying at an obscure farm way off the beaten track TT5 performed very well.
Finding the location which was down single track roads for 2 miles the first time using the postcode of the farm was very inaccurate as it took me to the hamlet (3 houses) that the postcode represented.
Once i had found the farm I stored the location as a favorite and TT took me to the farm gates every time after that. Interesting
ly it did not take me to the stored location which was probably nearly half a mile from the farm gates but stopped at the end of the tarmaced road.

in london a residential postcode is 15 houses maximum, in small villages in the counrty, one postcode can be the whole village.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliendad wrote:
in london a residential postcode is 15 houses maximum, in small villages in the counrty, one postcode can be the whole village.

Erhh .... not quite. According to the Post Office the average is 15 addresses to a Postcode. The maximumis about 60, which would be in towns/cities.

One road can have several Postcodes, but one Postcode is not used on more than one road.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye, and the post office deliver everything on time Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Paul-in-Cornwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just an update, I took the plunge and bought TTN5 + car cradle for my iPAQhx2110, (it happens to be Version 5.0), with TomTom wired receiver, also got 512mb SD card too, to add the French map later.

For a test, I have driven down some of the small back roads during this week and took wrong turnings from the route down roads I know just to see if those roads were there on the map, of course it did try and avoid some of them as they are not that speedy I suppose, but having said that I'm impressed and glad I've bought it now :D

I assume there will be a postcode database update sometime as our house number is not in the present database, (our house is 3 years old), the road is there as there were already houses along the road before ours was built and the same postcode covers all the houses built here now.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: