Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin POI Loader
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin POI Loader
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Manual use of POI Loader Reply with quote

A couple of questions please:

I see that if use use the 'manual' rather than 'express' method of loading the camera database it gives you 2 options.

The first option is to set the default alert speed, the other is to set the distance.

I would like to reduce the distance at which the i3 warns as it causes some 'false warnings' when cameras are nearby but not on the road you are using.

I want to set it at about 600 feet BUT I want to retain the set speed warnings as they are.

The questions - if I set the distance as I want then the speed alert only leaves one speed option - what do I set the speed at?

What is the effect of the speed setting - is that the speed it warns at, or is it the speed it 'adds' to the database limt (i.e. if the database shows a 30 limit - do you add 0 mph so it triggers at 30)?

What I obviously want to avoid in doing this is setting all the speed alerts the same and I am concerned that if I use the manual system that is what I will do - of course I am a complete novice and could be talking b****s again. Alternatively I will stick with the 'express' one click solution.
MattPackwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: WiFi Reply with quote

Anyone know where I could find a POI datbase of WiFi locations?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=154878

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
y767
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Garmin Quest Reply with quote

I can't find any reference or instructions on the site on downloading and installing the speed camera database onto my Garmin Quest.

The unit is brand new and I'm still very much a novice with it so I'd be grateful if any instructions could be spelt out clearly on the assumption that if I there is any way I can get it wrong, I will!

I don't know if it's relevent but I've got V7 of City Select Europe mapping on my PC.

Any help would be great.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Quest Reply with quote

y767 wrote:
I can't find any reference or instructions on the site on downloading and installing the speed camera database onto my Garmin Quest.

Welcome

The bad news is that the Quest can load the speed camera database but it won't do POI alerts. (Although the newer Quest 2 will).

You can get the camera overlay from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright

WiRED has done a good job with the overlay and seeing the camera locations on the map is useful but (in my opinion) it's not good enough to use as a speed camera warning system. Crying or Very sad

If your Quest is brand new then you may be able to take it back and swap it for a unit that will do alerts like the i3 (smaller screen) or C320 (more expensive but with touch screen). Neither of these alternative units run for long on batteries, nor are they waterproof or as compact as the Quest. :x

Feel free to badger Garmin about getting POI Alerts retrofitted to the Quest. The newer "Quest 2" has them but for some reason they don't do them on the original Quest.
y767
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to stick with the Quest because I want to use it on my motorcycle.

I've downloaded from the link suggested. I unzip successfully but when I double-click on the setup.exe file nothing happens. I've tried three times now, starting with a fressh download each time, with the same result (or lack of result).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y767 wrote:
I unzip successfully but when I double-click on the setup.exe file nothing happens. I've tried three times now, starting with a fressh download each time, with the same result (or lack of result).

Which operating system are you running on?

/WiRED (Author of the map you're having a problem with)
y767
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP Home
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y767 wrote:
Windows XP Home

Was it by any chance originally Service Pack 1, and you subsequently upgraded it to SP2? If so, look at the Support link on my website. It might be another manifestion of a known problem. If not, I'll have to have another think.

/WiRED
y767
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Service Pack 2 was downloaded and installed after the initial installation (I think Service Pack 1 was also a download installation).

I have seen your post and I tried to check the situation on my machine. However I wasn't confident that I fully understood what I should be doing and was very wary about doing anything to mess up my machine, so I didn't carry out the instructions you gave.
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest way, which avoids any drag-and drop problems, is to open up a command window (Start --> Run , then type CMD and click OK)

In the command window, type (all on one line)
COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\AUTOEXEC.NT C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
then press enter. If you get any response other than 1 File(s) copied., let me know.

/WiRED
y767
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news. The response I got was

Overwrite C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\autoexec.nt? (Yes/No/All):

I quit from the command window at that point without going any further.

Any ideas?
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be anything to do with the SP2 upgrade, or, it may just be a different manifestation. I don't know as its not a problem that's been reported to me before. Do you have access to any other PCs you could try this on?

/WiRED
y767
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only my one at work. There may be some security issues if I try it out on that.

Once I've unzipped the file and I double-clicked setup.exe, what should I see happening on the screen? Do I need Mapsource loaded on the machine before I try to run setup.exe? Can I remove everything from the computer easily afterwards?

Thanks for your ongoing assistance. By the way, on my home pc I have Norton Internet Security and Antivirus. That wouldn't be preventing setup.exe running, would it? I don't get any warnings when I double click setup.exe - nothing at all happens.
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found examples on the Net of InstallShield's Setup.exe just silently dying in the way you described. It was attributable to Norton Antivirus. You could try and disable that first, but make sure you are not connected to the Internet while you do it, and don't forget to restart it again afterwards.

/WiRED

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: