Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What does the post code function do ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What does the post code function do ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leodis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: What does the post code function do ? Reply with quote

Hi

Probably been covered before but can someone explain what the navigate to postcode function in TT5 actualy does Question

A for instance, I had to find a house on Main Street in the PE24 area, however there were 5 Main streets in PE24 so I navigated to postcode, typed in the postcode and was then presented with exactly the same list of 5 main streets in 5 villages in PE24. It is as if it recognized PE24 but nothing else and left the decision of which Main Street I went to entirely up to me I was simply no better off using the postcode function and the Main Streets covered a large area, surely it is not possible that they all had the same post code is it ??

Leo
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

postcodes can cover quite a large area ,but when you type in a postcode it tates you to the nearest road according to that postcode and sometimes it does actually take you a different road to what you want
i always use postcodes to get to the correct area then if i can't find the place i then turn to address search
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you not have the full postcode???

This should have narrowed it down a lot.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to put an empty folder called TOMTOM in the root directory of the storage card - it will work with 6 digits then, as long as you have loaded the postcode file from the CD.

Regards,

Steve
Leodis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

Thanks for your reply. I checked the storage card and the post code file is indeed on there but in a folder named 'ZIP'. Am I right in presuming TT5 will not use the 6 digits if the file is stored in a wrongly named folder ?? and if renamed it will ?? It would certanly seem at the moment it is only using the first 4 digits at the most and entering the full post code does not seem to narrow the location down at all. I cant understand why the folder would have the wrong name as everything was done during installation automaticly by the installation programme with no intervention from me except specifying the storage card as the medium to install the postcodes too.

Regards

Leo
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What does the post code function do ? Reply with quote

Leodis wrote:
Probably been covered before but can someone explain what the navigate to postcode function in TT5 actualy does Question

The Full Postcode, of 6 or 7 digits, returns a central co-ordinate to the mapping software. The average number of properties with the same Postcode is 15, throughout the country, with about 60 being the maximum.

Therefore in towns the Postcode came be quite close, but in rural areas it can be 300 yards out. According to the Post Office one Postcode will not be used for more than one road, but a road may have more than one Postcode.

So the software, if you just input the Postcode, will make a fairly good estimate of the location.

The problems come when houses do not have numbers, but names. Some roads will names, some have numbers, and yet others will have a mixture of both.

It's not always a good idea to use a house number, when asked for, because having worked out that the Postcode is for ABC Street in Anytown, only part of the Street may have numbers.

Then if you offer a number 6, and there is a valid 6 ABC Street, Anytown, it will direct you there and not to your original Postcode choice. On a very long road this could be a considerable distance away.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leodis wrote:
Steve

Thanks for your reply. I checked the storage card and the post code file is indeed on there but in a folder named 'ZIP'. Am I right in presuming TT5 will not use the 6 digits if the file is stored in a wrongly named folder ?? and if renamed it will ?? It would certanly seem at the moment it is only using the first 4 digits at the most and entering the full post code does not seem to narrow the location down at all. I cant understand why the folder would have the wrong name as everything was done during installation automaticly by the installation programme with no intervention from me except specifying the storage card as the medium to install the postcodes too.

Regards

Leo

You need 2 Folders in the Root of the Card. One named TomTom can be empty. The other named Zip contains the file called Great_Britain.Postal

If these are both in place then all you should need to do is to use Navigate to .... | Postcode. Are you by any chance using Navigate to ... | Address?

Leodis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

No I am using 'navigate to postcode' but on the root of the card there is no Tom Tom folder. I will create one and see what happens Wink

Thanks

Leo
Leodis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Meant to post last reply to you but posted to steve instead OOps

Leo
Leodis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Success Smile I created the empty folder and voila the postcode function is working fine. I checked it with the postcodes I tried to find yesterday and it narrowed the location down to the correct position.

Many thanks to you guys you just made my life that little bit easier.

Leo
malum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Thanks to the above I now have full postcodes working.

however It doesn't seem to accept postcodes that are single digit

eg CM2 7PY (instead of say CM13 7PY)

I have tried CM02 7PY but that doesn't work

anyone help me out as to how to enter them?

TIA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome along. just don't leave the gap, the post you quoted comes up as Baddow Road, I assume you know the area - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's different for TTN5 but on the TTG you can't put a space into the Postcode.

SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can't put a space in on TT5 either - the postcode above comes out as Mike says - Baddow Road.

Steve
malum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks

when you put a space it looks like it's automatically removed by the software. In fact it appears as though it knows the space is there even if it doesn't show it.

Thanks for the help (and the welcome).

Yes I used to live there

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: