Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman SmartST Pro Unlocked!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman SmartST Pro Unlocked!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman SmartST Pro Unlocked!!! Reply with quote

I havent received any CD from Navman and I am using 1.91.0038.

Whats the difference between it and the later ones?

1.91.0044 is on Navmans site, I am installing it this very minute!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman SmartST Pro Unlocked!!! Reply with quote

Graham, I have asked this question yesterday of Navman, and they will be deciding in weeks to come when the MD returns from holiday whether they release an upgrade or a software only version. That's all I can say at this stage. What Darren has said I believe was said at the Navman Press Release nearly a month ago. I'm not sure whether that still stands or whether they're still undecided or not. It certainly would be good if they sent out the 4400 CD's to all current registered users.
gracar
Regular Visitor

Thanks Dave, I can see this wrapping itself around Navman's neck if they are not careful. It would seem to me (as you'd expect) that we purchased SmartST as part of a package and if new variants of the software become available, especially unlocked variants, we should be either upgraded FOC (the preferable route) or given a heavily discounted upgrade route. This should be carefully thought through as I really think the day of the sleeve is numbered (as do HP) and Pocket PC users will become software & receiver buyers. It's in Navman's best interest to have a large and happy installed base for SmartST.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

As many of you have probably read, we have a Navman 4400 we're testing here, I've had a few teething problems getting it to work (all seem to be down to my laptop), but something I thought everyone should know. The 4400 ships with SmartST Pro 1.96.0015, and there's something very special about this, Navman have completely unlocked the software.

What does that mean ?

You can use it with ANY GPS Receiver! You have full ability to select COM1 to COM9 and baud rates from 1200 to 115200.

I've tried SmartST Pro with both a Socket BT on COM8 at 4800 baud, and also a SysOn CF Card running on COM7 at 4800 and both have worked flawlessly.

I'm still working the 4400 review, but thought this was a little bit of information all you Navman users out there would like to know about!
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

http://www.navman.com/land/SmartST/updates/SP1.html

try that.
Telboy
Occasional Visitor

Thanks tcs17_tim,

the address you provided is different to the navman site I normally visit which is http://www.navman-mobile.co.uk. I downloaded and installed SP1 from there just last week and it took me to version 1.91.0041.

I have just re-installed SP1 from the address you provided and I'm now on version 1.91.0044.

It would appear that SP1 is different depending on which Navman site is visited.

Thanks again,

Terry
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

hmmmm thats odd. I think I found the navman-mobile link on here once. Anyone know what the difference is?
sfi1
Regular Visitor

The UK navman site does have 1.91.0041 but the US site (Navman.com)has 1.91.0044.

I have been using 1.91.0044 for a while now (supplied by Navman UK). It is the version that they recommend for users that are having reception problems with the receiver (primarily older ones) but obviously haven't put it on their UK website yet.

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Navman.com is the (home) NZ site, not the US one, which is Navmanusa.com.
gracar
Regular Visitor

I asked ther good people at Navman support the questions I outlined in this forum a couple of days ago and they confimed, as you'd expect, what Dave said. The distribution strategy will be decided by the MD in due course. I suggest those with an interest make their thoughts known so that the decision is one best suited to current SmartST users.

Start the "We want unlocked software" campaign.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Ya spoke to John eh ?
gracar
Regular Visitor

Bruce actually
onbashi
Regular Visitor

I think its so unfair that we have had to put up with so many problems with the smartst software only to find out that a new version is available that addresses all or most of the complaints that existing customers are having and is being sold as a new package, surely this should be a free update!. I only bought my software back in late febuary, and i'm not paying out again!.

something needs to be done before navman lose many valuable customers to rival companies ie. tomtom, of which i have just reverted back to for now or at least until navman sort it out!

It's a shame, smartst pro has got so much potential but it is being held back from us.

I'm sure that if tomtom can drastically change the look and functionality of their software on a regular basis and offer it as a free update, navman could do the same!

I do hope that navman address this issue correctly as it is a great product and I dont want to feel like i've been robbed.

I'm sending them an e-mail and i'll let you all know the outcome, dont hold your breath!
Telboy
Occasional Visitor

onbashi,

I agree with what you are saying in principal,however please remember at this moment in time Navman have not yet decided whether this will be a f.o.c update to existing customers or will be a chargable upgrade.

I personally beleive this should be a f.o.c update as quite obviously there are still many bugs that need to be addressed which have hopefully been fixed in this 'new?' unlocked version.

In the meantime, I'm quite happy to be a little patient and continue to use SmartST as all in all I've had very few major problems.

Off topic - what I would really like is to be able to add customised POI's like speed cameras. Now would that be an update or an upgrade...Umm?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: