Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rubbish
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rubbish
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Rubbish Reply with quote

Sent this to Tom Tom 2 weeks ago still waiting for a reply will not hold my breath.

Dear Mr TomTOM

Having used TOmTOM Navigartor 5 for a number of months, I feel that I feel that I have been ripped of by your company by the upgrade from version 3 to version 5 for the following:

1. I quote from your site All the newest TeleAtlas maps are now available on a CD pack, allowing you to find your way to any address across Europe.

This is a big joke for I myself know of a number of places where the maps are not up to date as roads that have been there for hundred of years are missing. It also takes you down roads that are dead ends and have never been open.

IF this were the best that Teleatlas can do, I would suggest that you get rid of them for you can get a better detail map of map.com.

2. I again quote With Maps of Western Europe TomTom can now take you to your destination in 18 countries! Navigate to any address within a country using detailed regional maps, or use the larger maps to navigate across borders to any town or major road with the European major road network.

How can it take you to your destination when the road is not there on you map system but has been there for hundred of years yet another false statement.

Looking at a number of forums, I see that there are other faults with the system that you seam to not to care about. I myself have written to you a number of times with no statement.

I am at present looking to going to the European Court over this system as it looks like you have sold a system not fit for use.

I look forward to your reply

amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've taken your money now, and Tomtom have floated on the Amsterdam stock-exchange, now doubt allowing the founders to trouser a hefty wedge.

Probably been too busy out in their new Porches and Astons to worry about customer service!
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubbish Reply with quote

Trigger wrote:

I am at present looking to going to the European Court over this system as it looks like you have sold a system not fit for use.

I look forward to your reply[/b][/i]

Don't use TTN5 you'll never find the European Court Out of here

Art Me Me Me
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Rubbish answer Reply with quote

Recived this fro Tom Tom today. They dont care:

Dear Mr Littleton,

Thanks for your mail.

As in any map paper or electronic errors can occur.
Our map data ( including POI data bases) is supplied by Teleatlas

If are unhappy with the quality of the product we can give you a refund after the goods have been returned to us.
Please advise if you wish to do this.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Now in hand of lawyers
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubbish answer Reply with quote

Trigger wrote:
Recived this fro Tom Tom today.

Dear Mr Littleton,

If are unhappy with the quality of the product we can give you a refund after the goods have been returned to us.
Please advise if you wish to do this.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Sounds a far deal to me.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are unhappy with the TT5 you have I would take there offer of a refund - if you invoke the lawyers it will probably cost you more than the TT did in the first place a couple of one hour sesions @ £50/ HR will soon eat into what you will realistically get back - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
@ £50/ HR will soon eat into what you will realistically get back - Mike

I'd like to meet your layer, mines £150 Hour, and a deal is £1000 per day, a court day costs £1250 + expenses, I know I've just used her twice in the last 3 months, both with positive results.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you expect the lawyers to do? Which country are they going to take action in?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the lower figures to illustate the point being made - the cost of TT5 vs litigation and associated costs is a no brain route. It could cost a fortune and prove what? - for most of us there are niggles with the software but overall it works - so the defence case would be presumably very strong - Mike
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the only software I've ever bought where I had to go to the FAQ to get part of it to load!

Best all round solution would be to boycott the next release, perhaps PGPSW might consider closing the TT forum (for a while) just prior to TT6 release; TT would have to sort out their own problems, up to now I feel they have somewhat been let off the hook.

If they won't support us, whey should we support them?

Pete

Merry Xmas TT
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will refund if you send the product back, but what if every unhappy customer did that? They know we won't because even thought Tomtom is crap there is no real alternative at the moment.

Tomtom seems good when you first start using it (when you get it to work that is), it's only as you learn more of it's faults that you realise how bad it really is.

In hindsight I don't think I would have purchased it although it does 'get you there', sometimes after you have told it.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking around other forums on the net - most people appear happy with tomtom - they just use it it gets them to the place they want to go to.

I've now driven 12,000 miles using tomtom 5 (9,000 in the uk and 3,000 in mainland europe) with very few problems.

With 5.1 it runs ok on my pda - no lockups - no need to reset all the time. It always gets me to where I want to go and the upgrade at £50 is simply brilliant value for money.

Yes I'd like it to do this and that better, have better maps etc but overall like most users it works very well and does the job. My father also has 5.1 running on an old ipaq 3850 and has no problems either - he has a wired gps unit whilst I have a bt one - neither are tomtom units)

If it doesn't work for you and they offer you a refund take it, but please stop moaning about it and saying you have instructed Lawyers - they have offered you your money back that is the extent of their liability to you - you will not get compensation and half an hour of a solicitors time will cost more than you paid for the software.

Give up and try something else (RAC 2006 atlas is £1.99 in my local garage).

Chjeers

Ian
mol2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you persue the vendor in the small claims court - avoiding the need for legal representation?

I'd take their offer of money back & take revenge with a cheapo version from ebay Twisted Evil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you intend 'pursuing' them for? They've offered you a refund, any liability they have would not exceed the value of the software anyway.

It ain't perfect but it is a darn sight better than the competition. I'd love to see a decent alternative but I've tested many many alternatives and none are as good.

Mapping errors are another matter, TeleAtlas and Navteq are the only providers in Europe capable of supplying suitbale navigable electronic map data and neither are perfect. In fact on balanace having had the opportunity to test the two side by side over the last three months I find TeleAtlas are if anything the better of the two.

At the end of the day the offer of a refund is farther than many companies would go and you'll then be able to sample something else.

As for suggestions re. buying a pirated copy, don't. If you really think that a product is rubbish then fair enough, but using a pirated version is not the answer.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said Darren,

glad to see the comment on Navteq maps - everyone should try a 9 day free mapopolis trial to see just how poor the navteq ones are.

Near to my home they have approx 50% more errors than teleatlas (TTN5 edition)

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: