Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 & Driving in France & Belguim
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 & Driving in France & Belguim
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb1357
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: TomTom 5 & Driving in France & Belguim Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well i am off to France and Belguim in Nov for my first driving trip abroad. I have TomTom 5 Nav with a 256 MB SD Card with UK and Major Roads of France, I also have a 128MB SD Card which has the full bulgium map and streets as i need this to find the hotel in belguim. My question is in TomTom Nav 5 Settings menu you can change the from (MPH) to (Killometers). My question is can i leave it at MPH and Also Miles or not when in france and belguim.
Also it asks me in tomtom 5 if i am left hand drive or right. will this have an effect if my car is a right hand drive and that i will be driving on the right.

Also will the europe maps know that i will be driving on the right.

ManyThanks

Chris B
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can leave your settings as is, the maps know which side of the road you are supposed to drive on.

left/right handed is something different - it only affects the order of the icons on screen, and is a truly useless feature.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as for the units (distance and speed) you can leave them as miles and MPH if you like. It makes no difference to the functioning of TomTom.

Personally I prefer to switch to Km and KPH when I go abroad because then it aligns with the distances shown on road signs. It also means that the speed display is in KPH, which I find useful as a bcakup to the car's speedo (many GB cars have almost unreadable metric speeds on the speedo dial).

Paul
CalumLawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
left/right handed is something different - it only affects the order of the icons on screen, and is a truly useless feature.

Not entirely useless, for those of us who are blessed with being left handed, it also moves the scroll bars to the left hand side of the screen. Meaning that when operating left handed you don't obscure the screen when picking things from lists, zooming in map views etc.

Shame that it wasn't standard with the OS.

Calum[/quote]
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently returned from a trip to France where I used TTN 5 for the first time abroad. It was superb Smile

I left the settings alone (Miles) and was surprised to note that it did indeed know which side of the road I was on and sent me around roundabouts anti-clockwise Wink

The whole thing was effortless and once I'd set the 'home' to our gite, I just navigated to home from wherever we ended our days out.

I was glad that I'd spent the time setting up some itineries before leaving GB as each day I just loaded a day's sightseeing including pre-set routes using the waypoint facility. It was worth buying the package for this trip alone.

Have a great time in Belgium Smile
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have never driven abroad before you are due for fun on roundabouts - motorways are a doddle as it takes minutes to get used to everything being the opposite way round. Smaller roads are also OK, but junctions require a little thought - however, roundabouts just feel wrong!
chrisb1357
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all many thanks for the info. I cannot find any POI with speed cam locations for france and belguim. I have search here but can only find one site in french which for some reason my laptop wont download the database,

I am still a bit worried about knowing where the speed cams are and also what the speed limits which i am best to use in france and belguim. I have printed a speed limit chart out but i still think i will get caught speed beacuse my mind will be on everything else as i have never drivin before in france and belguim

Help Help Help me to stop to worry about sppeding and police

Chris
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisb1357 wrote:
hi all many thanks for the info. I cannot find any POI with speed cam locations for france and belguim. I have search here but can only find one site in french which for some reason my laptop wont download the database.

Have you tried these?

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/downloads.asp
http://www.gpsandco.com/
http://www.alertegps.com/Download.asp?a=ar&s=&f=tomtom
http://www.poiplace.oabsoftware.nl/

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris,

Chill out a bit man otherwise you'll miss the best bit . . . . driving abroad!! The thought of it is a lot worse than actually doing it. You sound a bit tense and seem to be expecting the whole of Interpol to swoop on you as soon as you hit the streets. It ain't gonna be like that Wink

If you can drive in the UK you can drive abroad . . . . with one or two obvious modifications Wink

Take some deep breaths, take your time, try and keep out of people's way and don't be rushed into making a snap decision. Then, after the first 15-20 minutes you'll be fine. When you get on the motorway, tuck in behind someone else and keep the speed to 110kph/70mph until you gain in confidence.

When you come out the tunnel/leave the ship, find somewhere to pull over and setup your TomTom so you get a signal and know exactly where you are. Then pull away, drive on the RIGHT and listen to the instructions from TomTom whilst keeping an eye on the travelling map. At least you'll know what's coming up and where you have to turn.

When negotiating roundabouts (anti-clockwise) don't be in too much of a rush as it's not unusual to miss the turning due to the satellite lag - if in doubt - go around again and know for sure which road you need before going on to it otherwise you may end up with a long round trip.

Personally, my wife and I LOVE driving abroad and fight whose turn it is to drive . . . . you'll love it too, I'm sure.

Regarding the speed cameras - check out http://www.poihandler.com/index.asp

Don't forget to let us know how you get on Wink

kind regards

Bodger
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to add that the best thing you can do to prepare for your trip is to set up some itineraries in advance of leaving these shores.

Set up a trip from the ferry to your hotel and save it as an itinerary then when you arrive in France load the itinerary and follow the route to your hotel. Likewise, setup one to take you back to the channel port at the end of your break.

Also check out what would be a day's sightseeing and save those as itineraries too. Also bear in mind you can dictate the route by setting up some way points so you can go from 'A' to 'B' via the coast road 'C' the museum at 'D' and the famous 'E'.

Save a few of these itineraries from the comfort of your settee then when you get there you can select which trip you'd like to do in which order on which day.

Having said all that THE best tip I could give anyone is when you arrive at your hotel/gite or wherever you are staying - set THIS as your 'home' location. Then, whenever you go out and wherever you go, just hit 'navigate to home' and it'll get you back to your accommodation.

My wife and I have had many, many trips abroad and have recently returned from a trip to France where we used SatNav for the first time. What a difference . . . a doddle compared to using maps. No panics about where we were, no arguments about the best route and no panics about getting lost in major cities. It was a breeze and we could BOTH look out the windows in the comfort of knowing we were being looked after by TomTom.

You'll love it.
chrisb1357
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have allready planned my trip to belguim and france using my Microsoft MapPoint software andprinted off the route. I am now thinking about planning the same route on the PDA.

any thanks for the tips, its just m first time driving out the UK

Chirs
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that when planning itineraries offline using multiple waypoints, you can only do it using the workaround described in Lutz Bendlin's buglist (sticky at top of this forum). So long as you have 5.1 it works well, and is hardly any more trouble than planning an itinerary in TT3
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that all looks a bit complicated to me 8O and I seem to have missed something as the itinerary function works a treat.

I set up 6 or 7 trips by going into itineraries and kept clicking [add]. The 'adds' can be post codes, POIs, places on a map or anything else you have access to.

To make them a way point instead or a destination just click onto it and choose 'set as way point'. You can also see the position on the map.

I set these up onTTN 5 with no receiver fitted.

Bodger
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make myself clear enough. Sure, you can write an itinerary in TTN5, but you can't run it to make sure it is what you want.....if you are offline, you get a message saying "Waiting for a valid GPS position". However, using the workaround described by Lutz, which only takes about 10 seconds, fools TT5 into thinking it is at the start, then the Itinerary function works exactly the same way as TT3
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes I now see what you mean Robin.

However, is the workaround the one about latitude and longitude? If so, I can't see the point of it and no mention of 'now you can see your route'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: