Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 vs TTN3 - my experience
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 vs TTN3 - my experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyparson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artisan wrote:
Gary,

I belive the drivers are on TTN5 but it's best to download the patch to 5.1 have a look on the Holux Forum Arrow http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=34

Art
Me Me Me

I'm already using 5.10. It took ages to get a signal today and lost it on a motorway. Doesn't seem to pick up as many signals as TT3. I'm going on Holiday in a few weeks and would like to use this version so I'll have to test it for reliability between now and then.
Andyfretwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have suffered most of the problems mentioned here and overall the program feels very flaky with my setup. Even so there are a couple of killer faults which make the others almost irrelevant.

Pulling a caravan it is essential to be able to adjust the speeds for different roads - and also to try and prevent routing down minor single track roads - and to give me realistic journey times.

Also on similar theme it is essential in route planning to be able to block of certain roads. This was easy in TT3 using the avoid function. This has gone in TT5. So at the moment have gone back to my trusty TT3 and don't really know what to do next as I suppose TT3 maps will gradually become outdated.

Minor point but the single press memorise position was also useful You can do it in TT5 but not with a single press. Overall TT5 feels like a backward step with loss of functionality and features. All this assumes that TT will eventually fix all the bugs.

Ipaq 4700 Holux Wired GRS 210.

Andy
DriveBy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TTN5 with the TomTom wired GPS receiver in one car and with a Holux CF270 in an Ipaq jacket in my other car, since I don't want to pull out all the wiring that I have tucked behind the dash.

With the hard wired receiver - the fix etc is OK, but with the Holux it takes an absolute age to lock on and then drops out again at any time.

I have the 5.1 upgrade - no difference. have Holux themselves come up with anything yet?

BTW I use an Ipaq H3950..........
Andyfretwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to mention I have the 5.1 upgrade which made no difference to anything. I'm waitibg for the 5.2 upgrade which might fix a few of these problems which seem fairly widespread!!

Andy
DriveBy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe TomTom should skip the 5.2 upgrade and go straight to upgrade 5.9?

Then they might be able to pick up on ALL the bugs in the programme Wink

How could a programme that had evolved to be as efficient and user friendly as TTN3, take so many steps backwards in functionality and compatability with the new release?

Makes you wonder who did the beta testing really............ Confused (what beta testing? I hear people ask.....)
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe TT5 will keep resetting the GPS receiver if it doesn't detect a signal in a given period.

I have worked around this by ensuring that a fix is present before connecting the PDA to my wired receiver.
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyfretwell wrote:
... a few of these problems which seem fairly widespread!!

Unfortunately not according to TomTom - I am in a handful of users who are experiencing these issues - now you and I know differently - but when asked - they will not answer me about a future upgrade to attend to these issues - and reiterate that it is a tiny number of users who are experiencing the problems - total rubbish I say

And as for beta-testing - I think that is the first version of the product that they put out version 5.0 - and I too am incredulous how this site gave it the rating it did - knowing about the VGA issue and the various other "unintended features" Wink
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big Dutch con for us all !! If only I could go back to my TT3 but with the current TT5 maps , I would be a very happy chappie. However, it has to be a Dutch thing as anybody who is a loyalty member of KLM would testify.
neutron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from 10 days in France with my HP2210/TTN5/TomTom wired receiver and a BT388 (plus the wife).
According to TomTom we spent a fair amount of time in fields, taking wrong exits on roundabouts and being ahead of the displayed position.
At one stage I was ready to abandon TomTom in favour of my other half but recalled far worse navigation problems in the past.
I've encountered all of the well debated deficiences of TTN5 and think we have been well and truly conned with an "Upgrade" that in so many ways is actually a downgrade. TomTom will have to show more regard for their customers if they are to avoid large scale defection in what is becoming a hotly contested market.
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've used tt5 I guess we have all had different experiences, I do not think the Gps driver is as stable as tt3, same comment about the routing algorithms - quite frankly I think we are all getting a little tired of repeating these comments and the multitude of other deficiencies reported on this site.

Just one question when's the update?
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interested to hear if the PocketGPS staff have any news on another patch coming - or if TomTom are going to leave those who have issues out in the cold.

If it's the latter - I think a long-term update of the review should be conducted - with a wider-spread of hardware - such as an HX4700 iPAQ
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suffering from a severe case of Deja-vu here !! I could be reading the CoPilot forum from 4 months ago before I finally ditched CP5 in favour of TT5.

There were claims for the review of the flawed CP5 to be amended to take into account the many bugs discovered in the software, but PGPSW flatly refused stating that as far as they were concerned, the review was accurate in their experience. It does make you wonder just how thoroughly the products are actually reviewed before giving their marks.

Quite frankly, if they had used CP5 or TT5 for even a short period of time any deficiencies would surely be noticed by experienced GPS users such as PGPSW.

So, don't hold your breath, as the review won't be amended in any way.

From my experience, while TT5 has its faults, it is far superior to CP5 and as such, I am happier with it.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer that's unfortunate - as it makes the TTN review less worthwhile than it should be - and does make me question how well it was tested in the first place

I did until this point think that many of the reviews on this site were objective - but the addition of a long-term review update would add to their worthiness as opposed to leaving a flawed score in place
garyparson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT5 uninstalled, TT3 back on pda. Can't afford to take chances when I'm going away next week. Can't be bothered waiting every day for an hour waiting for a signal.
rayamit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently upgraded to iPAQ4700/TT5 from my previous setup iPAQ4150/TT3. Although TT5 looks nicer and has some good features (like showing the road names, quite handy), it does have some issues. I felt it prompts for the next move a lot earlier, I could be very close to an exit and it'll say "Take the exit". What it meant is to take the next exit, not the one I'm just approaching. This obviously I've got used to 'coz I verify from the display.

One particular problem I've been having is that TT5 switches itself off every now and then - can't think of any particular reason why it would do that. I'm still using my old Tomtom BT GPS (silver). Is this combination 4700/TT5/TT-GPS known to cause this problem? Any patch for this?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: