Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG Security Concerns
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG Security Concerns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vorix wrote:
Well, each to their own - I was just trying to present an alternative option.
I know this is an emotive subject but I'm getting the feeling there's a lot of pent up agression here - no need to take it out on me!
I have to admit I have a bit of a bloody-minded streak in me - anything that p*sses off one of these scumbags for a minute is money well spent in my book. We can't just accept that this is how life has to be and retreat into our little fortresses or inconvenience ourselves at every turn to avoid it. They are the criminals, not us.

Yup it's an emotional subject Smile especially when you've been the victim.

I wouldn't take any of the opinions personally though - they are not aimed directly at you.

As an option my favorite is a little South African Device which creates a sheet of flame from underneath the car - "how do you like your scally sir? well done?" Laughing

Something like that would get these scumbags sorted - they'd soon stop then. Twisted Evil

Unfortunatley it's something we have to live with in this day and age and we all have our ways of dealing with it.

Chris
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theft from the car is something I've always been concerned about, not just the loss of the unit but more so the damage caused to the car!

I've never had a TTG but used to use TTNav with my PDA with a windscreen mount and wired GPS, I was always worried this was on very visible public display, even though I removed the PDA from the mount it was obvious there would be something in the car.

Now I use TomTom Mobile, I always take the phone with me anyway and the GPS fits in my pocket nicely. All that is left is a standard phone cradle and charger, no theif would be stupid enough to believe I would leave my phone in the car!
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sorry if it came across that way - really just saying it's probably not as safe an option as you are hoping and you may end up with some serious car damage.

Dependant on how the insurance pays i'm seriously thinking of going the PDA route which is a far better size for taking with me than the Tom Tom Go and I love the Tom Tom Go Sad

Tals
Luffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Car Theft Reply with quote

I live in Thames Valley and I am now unfortunately very familiar with car crime.

About three weeks before Xmas I took the family shopping and left my Vectra in a car park at Perivale Tube station, removing the faceplate from my stereo and locking it in the glove box.

Came back from shopping and found the hazard warning lights going. As I got closer I noted the side window had been smashed, and the glove box smashed open - needless to say the stereo was missing.

The car was deadlocked, so the scumbags had gone in through the window scratching the bodywork on the way in, cutting the interior door fabric with their boots, and had then got into the boot by almost ripping the back seats out.

Quote to repair the car was well in excess of £3k - all for a £200 at RSP stereo

The kids (9 and 3) were terrified on the way home in case they scumbags knew where we lived. (try explaining its a 'random' act.)

The Police didnt even investigate as there was no evidence. They did tell me taking the faceplate out was probably pointless, the missing faceplate indicates a high value item (As would a TT3 mount), so they will break in on the chance its hidden in the car. Even if its not they reckoned they would probably take the unit anyway as the scumbags will also do the rounds of local pubs nicking phones / faceplates etc that are in jacket pockets / left on tables - and seeing if they can match them up.

Im a company car driver and they also told me our local supermarket was a hot spot - newish cars driven by drivers in suits are targetted at lunchtimes - assuming they are business drivers with phones in the car or laptops in the boots

Then (totally unrelated) 23rd December some T@@t decided to torch the car when it was parked in the street. Again, police didnt investigate cos there where no witnesses and they think it was probably kids on a dare.

I now leave nothing in the car
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty disappointed in the police handling of my case:

* no interest in looking through the CCTV footage because it was over 7 hours - did not give me the option todo this for them
* no interest in taking the details of the crime or visiting - despite "it being a week when they would visit every car crime". Appretiate they are busy but don't have a scheme you won't follow
* no interest at all in investigating dubious ebay sales - ebay will assist the police in any query they have

They (my home force not the crime area force) did a couple of other things - repeatadly sent the crime report to the wrong fax - eventually even accidentally faxing it to my mobile

Very worryingly Hampshire police appeared to indicate that stolen items are recorded on the hampshire database and won't appear in any other - I just have to be wrong here - are they really so far in the dark ages?

Unless the police can think small and get the small crimes the big crimes follow through.

Tals
Markie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, most coppers are more interested in nicking you for doing 35 in a 30 zone than 'real' crime like getting your TTG stolen. Even 'if' the thieves are caught, what punishment do they get? What discentive do they get to not do it again. Not too much nowadays...
d-o-h
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an alternative security/protection method is needed here...

Passwords aren't really any use at all - they are generally either pre-coded (in which case the crooks will know them anyway) or are user entered (in which case the unit will need some kind of factory reset - again the crooks will know about that). Passwords for devices like this (as with mobile phones) are only any good as a deterrent to amateurs - the "professional" scum-bags will know how to get around them quickly and easily.

A better solution is something like http://www.myphonesafe.com. Unfortunately, however, a TTG cannot be "disabled" over the air as such. To do this would require new firmware and also for the scum-bag to connect to TomTom via the internet to do some kind of update - which they probably won't do.

This also has it's draw-backs. Is the serial number encoded into the devices firmware and non-eraseable/alterable? It doesn't show up on the Version Info screen, so I assume that the only reference to serial number is the sticker on the bottom of the device - which could be easily removed or altered.

The best bet for convenience and security is probably a combination of making available a list of stolen serial numbers and also advertising the fact that you DON'T leave these things in your car and that they're removed (sticker on the window for example). Ensuring the device stores it's own serial number permanently would also be useful.

Thoughts?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d-o-h wrote:
Is the serial number encoded into the devices firmware and non-eraseable/alterable? It doesn't show up on the Version Info screen, so I assume that the only reference to serial number is the sticker on the bottom of the device - which could be easily removed or altered.

The Device Number is 'built-in' and can be found on the 1st line, under Show Version.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DriveBy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Theft from the car is something I've always been concerned about, not just the loss of the unit but more so the damage caused to the car!

I've never had a TTG but used to use TTNav with my PDA with a windscreen mount and wired GPS, I was always worried this was on very visible public display, even though I removed the PDA from the mount it was obvious there would be something in the car.

I have used TTN with a PDA ever since TTN 2 came out originally and have never taken the mount out of the car. What's that 4-5 years?

Quite honestly it is just too much hassle to take the mount out. I do about six appointments a day in different parts of the country.

If I take it out - it never sticks properly and then everything slides off the screen after the first bump I go over. That could cause an accident - much more serious

I also leave the PDA hidden in the car (except at night when I do take it out) - sometimes even leaving it in the windscreen if I just pull into the motorway services.

Maybe I have just been lucky up to now, but I have left the car in some real dodgy areas all over the country and never had a problem.

If scum want to break into your car - they will do, even just to have a look sometimes. You are not safe just cos you have nothing on show. that can be just as big a giveaway you are maybe hiding something.

Thats the penalty for having something that looks nice these days. The have-nots and druggies decide they want their piece of it.

Laughing Out Loud at the South Africa flame thrower theft deterrant described further up - I have a friend that lived in Jo'burg and they do actually use those (and worse) out there as anti hi-jack protection.

Maybe we ought to have 'em over here as well? Saves on prison upkeep.
wez99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, like the rest of you, have deep reservations concerning the wisdom of using the suction mount, and whether to leave it in the car or not.
With this in mind I decided to buy a Brodit proclip (REnault Megane 11). This did not help the situation much, because as a 700 owner, I need the docking shoe for the handsfree functions.
I therefore started to think of a way to remove the TTG + Docking shoe easily & quickly. I now think I have achieved this. I have made the pattern, had a casting made, and machined it.
I tested the prototype and there is little or no vibration, can be removed in a couple of seconds, leaving only a small piece of black aluminium attached to the proclip. The proclip can of course be removed as well for total security.
I can post some pics if rquired, however I would like to refine the design and test it with a proclip for another vehicle (Fiesta Mk 5) to test the angles of tilt etc.

John
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a laguna and would welcome some pics to view thi mount

Liverpool F.C rocks
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a register for stolen GOs, might not be of much use, but at least there will be a record and I will make it searchable, so anybody will be able to check the unit they are buying second-hand against the database.

http://www.satnav-shop.com/index.php?ln=en&pg=9
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can post some pics if rquired, however I would like to refine the design and test it with a proclip for another vehicle (Fiesta Mk 5) to test the angles of tilt etc.

I've got an Alambra and likewise i'd welcome some pictures - at the moment i'm seriously reconsidering the wisdom of a TTG300 full stop - even though they are my prefferred nav aid, so anything that may make it easier to make it 'safer' are welcome. At the moment i'm looking at a PDA solution instead.

Tals
dill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Eldar has got the right Idea.
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dill wrote:
I think Eldar has got the right Idea.

Definitely - if the Police can also buy into it we maybe getting somewhere.

I wish ebay would also insist serial numbers were provided as part of the transaction

Tals

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: