Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety camera warning distance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety camera warning distance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Safety camera warning distance Reply with quote

What is the minimum distance you can set that a safety camera POI will visually warn you on the screen of its existance? I ask because I have set the distance at 100 yards before and no warnings have come up on the screen. Changed it to 290 yards and a bell will ring with indication in the top left hand corner of the screen.
Sorry if asked before.
Doug
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 yds would only give you two seconds warning at 100mph which would probably be too late to do anything about it.

I am not aware of any limitation in the device as to 100yard warning, but any delay in giving the warning could mean you are past it before it appears.

To try it out plan a future route past a speed camera and run it in demo mode. Change the warning distance until it works the way you want.

Also remember if you drive past a camera without a route planned and the POI is only set to warn if on route, no warning will be given.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100mph!! No-one drives that fast surely? It's the indication on the screen I am after. I will do as you say and try the demo mode.
Thanks
Doug
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dougproctor
One of the reasons Checkpoint is handier than most warning programmes is because you can set the warning by time. By that I mean you can set the preference to 20 seconds, 15 seconds etc before you reach the speed camera. So, if you were to choose 20 seconds before you reached the camera it wouldn’t make any difference how fast you were travelling – you would still get the warning 20 seconds before the camera. Very handy. Try it.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you didn't get a visual warning at !00 yards, and have set mine for 300 yards, and it counts down. This works well for me with the "Polite3" sound. I notice this above the stereo/radio, with the voices I sometimes missed them. The flickering CheckPOInt drove me mad.

Steve
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
I noticed you didn't get a visual warning at !00 yards, and have set mine for 300 yards, and it counts down. This works well for me with the "Polite3" sound. I notice this above the stereo/radio, with the voices I sometimes missed them. The flickering CheckPOInt drove me mad.

Steve

Still don't know why people complain about the flickering just turn the visual off, yes it would be nice to have on but the only one I miss is the average speed between specs, but a warning of a siren followed by "speed camera in 30 seconds" puts me on my guard. follwed by "speed camera in 10 seconds" which by then I can see anyway I havn't missed one yet.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I also noticed it worked a setting of 300 yards but at a 100 yards, it didn't. Must be documented somewhere.
Doug
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoppy wrote:

Still don't know why people complain about the flickering just turn the visual off, yes it would be nice to have on but the only one I miss is the average speed between specs, but a warning of a siren followed by "speed camera in 30 seconds" puts me on my guard. follwed by "speed camera in 10 seconds" which by then I can see anyway I havn't missed one yet.

Because I want the visual as well to warn me. Best suggestion I have heard on here is to use both, with a blank sound file on the TT5 with a visual warning, plus CP with the visual turned off.

Steve
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:

Because I want the visual as well to warn me. Best suggestion I have heard on here is to use both, with a blank sound file on the TT5 with a visual warning, plus CP with the visual turned off.

Steve

Thats what I have been doing for a few days now and it works really well.
hyjacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find driving at correct speed very effective narf narf.

Twisted Evil

Temp speed cams you need to set higher distance because not as accurate.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: