Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thumbs down for the 4400 package
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thumbs down for the 4400 package

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leenig
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Thumbs down for the 4400 package Reply with quote

Received a call from the shop stating they had a limited stock of Navman 4400. My intentions were to call into the shop hand over the plastic and out with the goods. However I asked the guy if he would open the box up for me. It’s a nice unit etc…but hey there’s no mount for the IPAQ included. Why not? The 4400 remains with the shop this evening. At this price Navman you SHOULD be providing everything the box that a customer is going to require.

I’m not sure if I will purchase the unit now, gonna sleep onit.

Lee

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Thumbs down for the 4400 package Reply with quote

I can understand your disappointment - though maybe this reflects that you don't have to have a 3000 or 5000 series iPAQ to use the 4400 package, unlike the sleeve based solutions.

I'm also not sure there's a power cable for the Pocket PC in the pack, either - the Navman site mentions "Vehicle power cable" - but I thought that would be for the GPS.

I was happy to buy the mount (with integrated power cable) I wanted when I bought my setup - but that was after I made a conscious decision to buy my GPS and software separately. With the 4400, you get both together.

I suppose a universal mount (similar to that supplied as part of the full TomTom Navigator package with a wired GPS - I don't know about the Bluetooth package) is a possibility.

A Pocket PC power cable is trickier. Many Pocket PCs use similar power cables - but not all do.

Maybe Navman decided that people would rather buy a mount and power solution to suit their individual Pocket PC, rather than supply one 'in the box'. I guess that leaves the 4400 in the unfortunate position of having nearly everything you need in the 4400 pack - but not quite!

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Lee, we have our 4400 turn up here, and yes it doesn't have a Pocket PC mount. But then again, if you look at most GPS Receivers, you don't get a Pocket PC mount with them either. Take the TomTom Bluetooth GPS, Emtac/Socket BT GPS, Fortuna GPSmart. The problem Navman will have here is each Pocket PC's dimensions are different. They could supply a generic style mount, but this still may not fit all Pocket PC's.

I can tell you what you do get in the pack is
  • 3x AAA batteries
  • Navman Receiver
  • Sledge to slot the Receiver onto
  • Windscreen mount which attaches to sledge and is supplied with two small screws to hold together
  • Wrist strap
  • Small unfoldable manual
There is also a Navman voucher card inside that states "This voucher is for the GPS 4400 Adaptor Cable, the cable was not supplied due to unavailability at the time of shipment. Please complete the enclosed form and post to the address listed. Navman apologises for any inconvenience caused."

Strangely enough the cable was supplied, so some units may not have cables.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I'm confused! Why would anyone want to mount a bluetooth receiver onto a bluetooth enabled Pocket PC?

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Now I'm confused!!! When you say mount, do you mean stick it together ? What Lee is complaining about is Navman are giving away a suction windscreen mount for the Bluetooth Receiver, they're also including the software (SmartST Pro) for your Pocket PC, but they're not giving you any mounting solution to fix your Pocket PC to a vent or windscreen.
Leenig
Regular Visitor

Thanks Dave, and Hi Tim. Dave is correct re my posting. Im sure there are many like me who wish to purchase the package complete. It now means I have to find a PDA mount to my liking. (And spent a further £24 plus)I have read the mount reviews within Pocketgps, but me being me, I have to physically see the mount to ensure its to my liking. I dont want to pay out £24 plus for a mount which im not happy with. So I will take a walk down tottenham ct road. At £379 my own personal view is that everything you require should be in the box.

Lee
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Lee,

Ah, now I understand! I forgot that, since the Bluetooth GPS doesn't attach to the Pocket PC, a mount for said Pocket PC would also be required.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: