Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 4400 Bluetooth Shipping Shortly
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 4400 Bluetooth Shipping Shortly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman 4400 Bluetooth Shipping Shortly Reply with quote

Initially the 4400 will only be available as a package with SmartST, they are not committing to if or when it will be available seperately. At the recent press launch they were still making a big point of it having a 30hr operating life on battery power.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman 4400 Bluetooth Shipping Shortly Reply with quote

I can confirm the 4400 will work with other GPS software.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

The 4400 should work with other software but at present it is only available as a package with SmartST. Current versions of SmartST that were bought with the GPS Jacket will not work with the 4400. A later update should amend this and Navman do plan to offer the 4400 as a standalone unit at a later date.
numb
Occasional Visitor

So this GPS unit won't work with any other software? Am I misunderstanding that? Can anyone confirm this?
Leenig
Regular Visitor

Hi Tony,

have emailed you the details, does anyone know of a price lower than £349.99? Plus you can walk away with the unit -let me know when you intend buying, I can then hit you over the head and run off with the unit Smile

Lee
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Lee & Dave. Care to say, Lee, where it can be found at the keen price you say please? Have scoured the web but everyone seems to be quoting 2-3 weeks' delivery. The subtle hints you mention went over my head, Dave, but I'll scour your imminent review for any clues as to when 3D view etc will be available. Navman said that it will be shipping with voice-synthesised street names but I note you say, Dave, that this too is somethng for the future. Confused but, no doubt, all will be revealed in the review.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Tony, I think they've got some crossed wires there. The BT 4400 is available now, and with the standard SmartST Pro. There will be updates to SmartST Pro in the very near future (which I've dropped suttle hints about) and that will include features that many other companies currently have, eg 3D maps, spoken street names, and many more new features, but as of yet they are not available.
Leenig
Regular Visitor

If I understand the reply it states the product will be available in 3 weeks - The UK product is already on sale many companies already have supplies of the unit since last friday. The cheapest i found the unit for was £350

Lee
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

In case it's of interest to others, herewith Navman's replies yesterday to some questions I raised with them. Great to see it will have voice synthesis like CoPilot - but disappointing that it will not have 3D. No doubt, the forthcoming review will clarify how practical it is to fit Europe-wide mapping and navigation software on one SD card if the CF slot (say on Axim) is occupied by a BT dongle.

1. Is it already available in UK? Can it be purchased direct from you?

No it will be released in approximately 3 weeks and unfortunately it cannot be purchased through us.

2. Is the GPS software and maps to be loaded on SD or CF card or on the PDA's native memory?

We recommend loading teh maps onto an external SD or CF card.

3. If I buy a Dell AXIM enabled for BT via the CF slot, is the remaining SD slot adequate for GPS and mapping software?

Yes the SD can be used.

4. Does your software have voice-synthesis, e.g. will it tell me before a turn the name of the road to turn on to?

Yes it will.

5. Does your software have a 3D view?

No it does not

6. Is it possible to buy just your GPS BT unit or must I also buy the maps? Will it work with third party maps?

Yes the hardware will be sold seperately towards the next year and third party software will not be support initially

If I can be of any further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me, I will be more than happy to help you.

Thank you for your interest in Navman Europe.

Kind regards,

Maxine Harrison

Sales Support

Navman Europe Ltd.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Give us a day to sort the schedule out and Darren and I should be able to confirm this.
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

Any idea, please, when your review of the Navman 4400 will be available?

Dave
Frequent Visitor

4400's are now shipping and we have one in our hands now. They look nice, and if the 30hr battery life lives up to it's specs, than this will be superb!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Navman have now announced that their new Bluetooth 4400 GPS Receiver will be shipping in June. The Bluetooth receiver will give you a staggering 30 hours of continuous GPS time using 3xAAA batteries and a data transmission range of up to 10 meters with GPS position accuracy of 5 meters.

The GPS 4400 and SmartST Voice Navigation Software covering 16 European countries is expected to retail at around £379.99 / €539.99
numb
Occasional Visitor

I had an email conversation with someone at Navman, and he says that those of us with SmartST already won't be able to use our existing versions of it with this reciever, and there is no plan to offer an upgrade. We would have to buy the complete package. I just don't believe that its an entirely different version of SmartST!

What a complete con....crappy software, crappy customer care!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Yes, you'll need an iPAQ with Bluetooth connectivity. If I'm not mistaken, Navman when they released SmartST Pro was selling the software for around £139, but the complete package was £379 with Navman 3400 sleeve. So now it looks like they're swapping out the sleeve for a Bluetooth receiver for the same cost.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: