Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Basic GPS with Paper Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic GPS with Paper Map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fryingtonite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Basic GPS with Paper Map Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the prompt reply; I have considered the Legend and the budget would not be a problem. However, I was advised that the basemap that comes with the Legend only includes major roads, exactly the kind of roads I would avoid on a motorcycle trip. I expect to be passing through 5 or 6 countries in 2-3 weeks. As there will be two of us on the bike, space is at a premium as I don't ride a Gold Wing/car on two wheels. I have been told that you couldn't load detailed road maps of 6 countries into the Legend at one time and taking a laptop to upload country data as I travel through it is out of the question.

I did place a call to Michelin and one post I found suggested that their map datum is zeroed somehwere near Paris. Here is the link that I picked up:

http://gpsinformation.net/main/igngrids.htm

Could I use this info to set up a transform (?) inside a handheld somehow?

many thanks

Tim
fryingtonite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Basic GPS with Paper Map Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I plan to travel in Europe and want basic GPS functionality. I need to travel light, so I thought something like an etrex would give basic co-ordinate info that I could use with my Michelin paper maps of Europe.

Question: Does anyone know the map datum for michelin maps and can I input some kind of transform in an etrex to get a read out I can use with my paper map?

many thanks

Tim
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I think you're going to have problems transferring grid squares to co-ordinates.

I know you're looking for a light solution, and I'm guessing cost is probably an issue for selecting the eTrex, but have you thought about an eTrex Legend with MapSource ? You can purchase this for around £245 all inclusive of VAT and European street level maps.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

If you go for MapSource MetroGuide, this I believe will cover minor roads as well, atleast it does in the UK. Maybe Europe might be different. Actually I'll see if I can check a little later on this.

It's certainly possible to transform, but I wouldn't want to be stuck trying to do this in my head, or even on a calculator. There's certainly no converters built into handhelds to do this. There are online resrouces like OSGB that are dedicated to converting datums, or from one datum to their datum, but online isn't really what you want.

Personally I think this would add a lot of headache to the process and I'd much prefer having it worked out for me in a handheld by having a map and datum all in one.

The other option is, do you have a PDA ?
fryingtonite
Occasional Visitor

Would you be able to load all of the MetroGuide in one go for several countries, I woun't have the ability to update as I go without a laptop.

OK, so my idea of using a paper map seems out, then, I kind of got the idea you could use some kind of custom 'offset' in a handheld, like you do when you pick a co-ordinate system.

I know a couple of guys with PDAs to sell, one ipaq 3660, one Casio m500 (?) and I've read about navigation software. Tom Tom seems to have a limitation of only being able to load one map segment at a time, but I like the idea of customisable POIs. How can I use the PDA with MetroGuide? PDAs don't have CD drives do they? Bear in mind luggage capacity is scarce, so carrying add-ons is undesirable if there is a need to lug drives, cds, batteries, et al,

cheers

Tim
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I'm afraid not. Most of the Garmin's only come with 16mb or 24mb of memory, so you would only be able to cram so much into this small space. You could load the area you're looking for though if it's just in one country. I managed in 24mb of GPSMap76S memory to get the southern part of the UK installed up to about London.

Routing with TomTom across countries is still an issue, not with Navman or CoPilot though. CoPilot will allow you to also create a corridor if you go for the European version and this can work well and save space at the same time (that's if you plan your journey ahead of time).

You wouldn't be able to use Metroguide with a PDA. Basically what you do with Metroguide is install it from CD onto a PC, then use the Garmin serial cable to connect to the handheld receiver and transfer a section of maps across to it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: