Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - eBay and Other Sites Offering Our Safety Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

eBay and Other Sites Offering Our Safety Camera Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulagnew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: ebay auctions Reply with quote

Heres my answer to the selling of the speed camera
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5802531140&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

This is an auction of mine on ebay if everyone was to do this im sure it would have an effect on the dishonest sellers.
kentmere97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: ebay Reply with quote

I'm new to GPS technology and saw an offering on ebay for a database.

The offer was '£1.99 and we'll email you a link'. Of course it was a link to this site.

My view? If I hadn't paid my £1.99 I might never have found http://www.pocketgpsworld.com and it would have been my loss.

I suppose I could have spent £4.99 on a magazine and maybe have found reference to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com.

However, you should look upon me as a supporter gained rather than someone been ripped off.

The concept of postings on ebay, with a nominal link price to the database seems good, especially if you point out it's available free as well.
paulagnew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point but why should someone sitting in front of there PC gain from the hard work the people at pocketgps put in while they rake in the cash for doing nothing ive seen this database change hands on abay for up to £4.99.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as with everything, never buy until you research, 5 seconds on Google with 'Speed camera database' would have brought you here Smile

Welcome anyway Welcome
TDMTAM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Garin from http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-streetpilot-quest/1586/
when I got my new Garmin there was no speed camera detail with the unit contacted the company and they sent me a link
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright/
that relates to your site.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDMTAM wrote:
I bought my Garin from http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-streetpilot-quest/1586/
when I got my new Garmin there was no speed camera detail with the unit contacted the company and they sent me a link
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright/
that relates to your site.

Walter's a PPGPS friend who does a fair bit of work to get our database into a format suitable for Garmin with our permission. We hope to get all this hosted in house eventually.
TDMTAM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That OK then I was not sure when I was just given a link to a site
TAM
Myles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Another One Reply with quote

chiefwiggum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(and he's got the nerve to sell it for £9.99 !!!!!!)
Alan Sanders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and he has 10 available! Rolling Eyes
Myles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is the response from seller;

If you read the ad properly, you will see that the software is supplied free of charge, the costs are purely admin costs and the cost of any support that I will give to people who have problems installing this database, but thanks for your concern.
Regards
Phil

He has loads of front

This is exactly what the auction says

You are bidding for a UK speed camera Point-Of-Interest database for your GPS navigation system supplied with full installation instructions written by me.

This includes GATSO, Redlight, Mobile, and SPECS (distance between two points cameras)

This is so simple to install you will wonder why you haven't had it earlier!!!

It works on just about all of the most popular GPS systems on the market today!!

How much is your license worth to you? this is such a small outlay for the benefits it will give you.

Email support available.

If you are unsure or have any questions then please use the “ask seller a question” BEFORE you buy.

Upon completed payment, you will be sent a link within 24 hours to download the Latest UK speed camera database file (approx 5Mb), therefore NO POSTAGE COSTS involved!!.

** Please note that this database is not to help you speed in areas where you shouldn't, it's to help you lower your speed throughout all roads that you drive, and to be aware of potential areas where Safety Cameras may be in force for informational purposes only, so you can be more vigilant at monitoring your speed throughout these locations and ensure that you don't accidentally travel a few miles per hour above the speed limit like when travelling down a steep hill, or when you're overtaking another vehicle. We also do not guarantee that all fixed, mobile, truvelo or specs cameras are in the database, so please do not believe that this database contains the entire camera list as it doesn't, but this does support a vast majority of cameras you will see on our roads today. We also accept NO liability whatsoever for you receiving any speeding fines or points on your license through using this database or guarantee the accuracy of the data contained within this database either expressed or implied.
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, what about replacing the database at it's current location with a txt file or html page stating "The database is no longer at this location...if you purchased off of E-bay ask the seller for a refund" or something a little more tactful/legal. The reason for this is, if the seller did not supply the goods as described, then the buyer can demand a refund, which would cause headaches for the seller.

The database could then be placed in a secure area to which only registered users of this forum are allowed to access.

As Moe said in The Simpsons "Okay, he may have invented it, but I came up with the idea of charging 5 dollars for it"

Plurality should not be posited without necessity
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinBrown wrote:

The database could then be placed in a secure area to which only registered users of this forum are allowed to access.

IMHO
The major downside with the above is there may be unscrupulous members of this forum (or people) who join just to rip off the database :x. The whole control issue of free information is certainly not an easy one, and can hardly justify the cost of setting it up. It may, however, be worth it in the long run.

PDA Current: iPAQ hx4700 + Co-Pilot Live/TomTom 2, 3 & 5 + Fortuna Clip-On + 512Mb Ultra ii SD + 256Mb SD + Brodit Active Mount

PDA History: iPAQs (2210 <-- 3970) <-- Palms (M515 <-- M505)
Alan Sanders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: not just ebay ... Reply with quote

The current Caravan Club Magazine, Sept 2005, on page 54 carries a full page advert for A1 Motor Store, (freephone 0800 526510, www.a1motorstores.co.uk for location of its stores.)

It includes an advert for a Blue Media Dedicated sat-nav device … & “Includes UK GPS speed camera alerts!”

It also states that “GPS Speed Camera Detection Alerts can be upgraded monthly via the Evesham website. This is free for the first 6 months, and then only £30/yearafter that.”

Assuming that this is the Pocket GPS database, which we value, I am very surprised to find that Evesham Technology might be involved in this misuse.
From www.Evesham.com the Peripherals tab takes one to www.lowestonweb.com and on the satellite navigation page is a link to a Blue Media BM6300.
In the overview for this device it says that “This software has been modified exclusively for Evesham to include speed camera location alerts”.
It also gives a link (which didn’t work) for 6 months’ worth of free speed camera updates and download information.
In exploring this, I have found no acknowledgement that it is, or is not, the Pocket GPS database being used. Perhaps Evesham have devised their own - if so, please could it be reviewed by the team at some point!
Crying or Very sad
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: not just ebay ... Reply with quote

Alan Sanders wrote:
Assuming that this is the Pocket GPS database, which we value, I am very surprised to find that Evesham Technology might be involved in this misuse.
From www.Evesham.com the Peripherals tab takes one to www.lowestonweb.com and on the satellite navigation page is a link to a Blue Media BM6300.
In the overview for this device it says that “This software has been modified exclusively for Evesham to include speed camera location alerts”.
It also gives a link (which didn’t work) for 6 months’ worth of free speed camera updates and download information.
In exploring this, I have found no acknowledgement that it is, or is not, the Pocket GPS database being used. Perhaps Evesham have devised their own - if so, please could it be reviewed by the team at some point!
Crying or Very sad

I have made numerous requests to Evesham for a review sample, and not had a single reply.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 10 of 34

Jump to: