Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed reading out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed reading out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColinBate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Speed reading out Reply with quote

I have an Ipaq hx2110 & TT5.01 & speed is showing 4/5 miles lower than my speedo any body else seen this problem. Which is the most acurate I assume GPS would be??

Regards
Colin Bate
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Speed reading out Reply with quote

ColinBate wrote:
I have an Ipaq hx2110 & TT5.01 & speed is showing 4/5 miles lower than my speedo any body else seen this problem. Which is the most acurate I assume GPS would be??

Regards
Colin Bate

I would say that the GPS is more accurate,

Speedo's are usually not very accurate and are offen rated over, so that when you think your doing 30mph your actually doing 28mph,

No speedo on new cars is allowed to read under, otherwise it will make you speed unknowningly,

Carl,
hyjacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 100 mph my speedo acording to the gps is 10 mph out. does anybody know which is the most acurate?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed many times on the forum. 8O Here's the answer:

If you are travelling at a constant speed for several seconds on a flat road and in a straight line, with a good satelite fix then the GPS will typically give a speed reading which is accurate to 0.1 MPH

If your speed is changing then the speed indicated by the GPS will lag behind reality.

If you are going around a corner or up/down hill then the GPS will read slightly slow.

A car speedo will typically read 0-10% fast to allow for manufacturing tolerances, tyre wear, different brands/types of tyre etc.
Andyd32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyjacks wrote:
at 100 mph my speedo acording to the gps is 10 mph out. does anybody know which is the most acurate?

Your NIP is in the post Laughing
futuresbright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that ttm speed reading is very accurate,it is your car speedo that is out.
I am saying this because i am a hgv driver and my wagon has just been in for its 2 yearly tachograph and speedo check,which by law has to be spot on.
when travelling now i cannot see any difference in the speeds shown both on the needle and display of ttm.
I am using the original ttm silver receiver.
BarMuda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend in the police force and he informs me that Speedos are set at 10% less than the speed you are doing, as is quite common knowledge.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedos can be set at an error of upto 10% overreading but the overreading is only there as a tolerance of error in manufacture and it has to be so that they overead. Most quality cars will not overread by 10% with new tyres.

You also have to remember that on a car the wheel diameter will vary by 12mm between new and severly worn tyres which will effect the accuracy of speed.

I am not impressed by the size of the font of the speed reading on TT5 when compared to TT3. On TT3 without navigation the speed was the large middle font where the distance to the next junction was shown and also very large on the overspeed screen. On TT5 it is tiny and you have to concentrate rather than glance to read it.
brob108
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
I am not impressed by the size of the font of the speed reading on TT5 when compared to TT3. On TT3 without navigation the speed was the large middle font where the distance to the next junction was shown and also very large on the overspeed screen. On TT5 it is tiny and you have to concentrate rather than glance to read it.

Mr T...have you tried TT5 in landscape mode rather than the portrait setting? The information readouts (including speed) are bigger and easier to read

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: