Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 305III Cold Start
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

305III Cold Start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk521
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: 305III Cold Start Reply with quote

Okay - I'm a newbie. So patience would be appreciated.

Just today received my HI-305III. While I did buy a BT slipper also, my first objective is to get the GPS working as a CF device on my Axim X5 w/PC2003 (ROM A05).

I also have iGuidance 2.1.1NA installed.

What I've accomplished so far is to install the CF card, have iGuidance auto detect it (found it just fine on COM5, 4800 baud). It does appear to "see" some satelites, - as it displayed 0/12 while I was outside and in my office it displayed 0/9. Shows a rough position for each satelite but in spite of a flurry of activity in the NMEA window that continues as I write this, it has yet to indicate any satelite strenght sufficient to lock onto any one of them.

Any suggestions? Is there something I've missed? I installed the G:S Information utility that came on the Haicom CD and have tried the "COLD START" option a couple of times w/o any luck.

What should I be doing that I'm obviously not doing? Have done several soft resets of the X5. The LED on the 305III is solid red - which I take to mean it is trying to get a fix...

Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

John McDermon
Rural Hall, NC
Hawk521
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind.

Presto! Chango! SOMETHING made it start working!

Seriously, after a couple of hours of failed efforts, I went through the same rain-dance routine of a soft reset and reinsert the GPS into the CF slot, and for unknown reasons it started actually working.

Took it outside and it promptly (within a couple of minutes or so) found and locked on 9 satelites. These varied a bit as I walked around with it, but never dropped below 7. Took it inside my office (concrete building - we can't even get FM stations in here) and it still reads 5/9. Not bad. Says I am at an altitude of 993 ft (+/- a few) which might even be right! Smile

Anyway, its cooking now and I shall have some fun on my first GPS navigated trip home in an hour or so. While wondering around the campus with this GPS in front of me I was told by one of the maintenance guys that if I really needed a GPS to find my way to/from work its time to retire! Laughing Out Loud

Will post more as I gain some familiarity with the Haicom 305III and iGuidance 2.1.1.

I'm glad this group is out here. Probably would not have ventured into this little project w/o at least the prospect of help from some fellow gps enthusiasts.

John
goldeneye243
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered two HI-305III units (one for me, one for my dad). When they turned up, I put the first one into my PDA and it was locked on within about 30 seconds - I was really impressed.

Then I tried the second unit - It does not seem to work, despite trying with it for some time. It will see the odd satellite, but not enough to get a fix

As I have given the good one to my dad, I am now stuck with a GPS card that is not working. Waiting for a reply from the supplier......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: