Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOM TOM Go 300 Backup Location / PC connection problem??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM TOM Go 300 Backup Location / PC connection problem??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDTED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM Go 300 Backup Location / PC connection problem?? Reply with quote

Question Hello, does anyone know the location of the backup files when you back up a go 300 to your PC. When I complete a backup it just follows the wizard and then says backing up to your pc without any confirmation or choice of back up destination.
I also had a problem getting my pc to recognise the go 300 itself, after many frustrating hours I found that the problem was that the cable needed a really firm push into the back of the go 300. Anyone else had these connection problems?
Thanks
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 300, but when I backed up my Classic, it created a folder called TomTom Go {something or other} (where the bit in {} was related to the device code) in My Documents.

But bear in mind that some versions of the backup utility only back up your personal settings - not the whole thing. For example my backup was about 16 kilobytes - whereas a full backup - including maps and software is well over 100 MEGAbytes. It is rumoured that the latest version of the utility does do a full backup - but it's worth checking.

It's particularly important with a 300 to do a full backup because you haven't got a CD from which to re-load everthing if the SD card goes tits-up.

If in any doubt whatever, create your own backup folder on your PC and copy everything from the SD card into it using Windows Explorer rather than TT's utility.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
REDTED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM GO backup of SD card Reply with quote

Thanks Roger for the reply I found the directory in my documents and it is 10.4mb (I've only used the Tom Tom once as I've only had it a week). If the SD card goes faulty would you just restore onto a new card? As I haven't got any installation discs themselves. I'm a bit nervous about taking the card out of the TOM Tom 300 and copying data. I do have a card reader / hub. I assume I would just put the card in the reader attached it via USB to my pc and copy the data that way. Sorry if I sound a bit naive but I'm not really that PC literate.
Thanks
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TOM TOM GO backup of SD card Reply with quote

REDTED wrote:
Thanks Roger for the reply I found the directory in my documents and it is 10.4mb (I've only used the Tom Tom once as I've only had it a week). If the SD card goes faulty would you just restore onto a new card? As I haven't got any installation discs themselves. I'm a bit nervous about taking the card out of the TOM Tom 300 and copying data. I do have a card reader / hub. I assume I would just put the card in the reader attached it via USB to my pc and copy the data that way. Sorry if I sound a bit naive but I'm not really that PC literate.
Thanks

If the backup directory is only 10.4 MB, it's NOT a full backup - and you need to make one, as per my previous post.

If you have a full backup, you can restore it - either onto the original card or a new card. You can use an external card reader/writer or you can use TTG in USB mode so that appears as an external disk to your PC - it matters not. But it must be a full backup - if you restore your 10 MB backup onto a dead card, you still won't have a working system.

As I said before, forget TT's backup utility and use normal Windows tools instead (Windows Explorer, by default).

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full backup should be 100+ Mb for the uk or 1.4Gb for Europe.

If you are having trouble with the TOMTOM utility and have XP you can use the backup software the XP provides by right clicking on your tomtom icon, selecting tools, then backup - there is a wizard which should take you through the process from there.

I've used both methods and you get exactly the same results.

Hope this helps.

Chris
REDTED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thanks Chris / Roger,
As you suggested I backed up the card directly by using the Windows backup utility instead of Tom Tom's own utility. The file backed up is 118 MB. Does that sound about right?
Once again thanks for your help and advice.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDTED wrote:
:D Thanks Chris / Roger,
As you suggested I backed up the card directly by using the Windows backup utility instead of Tom Tom's own utility. The file backed up is 118 MB. Does that sound about right?
Once again thanks for your help and advice.

That sounds a lot more healthy!

If you want an additional check, browse the SD card and the backup and make sure you've got the same directories (folders) on both and the same number of files in each one.

REDTED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger, as well as backing the card up I also copied the whole contents of the card and the copied files looks identical to what was on the card both in number and description. Does that sound OK?
Thanks
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Check the folder sizes between the SD card and the Backup. If they are identical then you're ok.

If the 118Mb is for the UK Maps that sounds a reasonable number.

Chris
REDTED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDTED wrote:
Hi Roger, as well as backing the card up I also copied the whole contents of the card and the copied files looks identical to what was on the card both in number and description. Does that sound OK?
Thanks

That's fine!

Now, if anything nasty happens to your SD card, you'll be able to buy a new blank card (or re-format the old one) and create an exact copy of the current card from your backup.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: