Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: WinPilot VFR 1.51
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: WinPilot VFR 1.51

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: WinPilot VFR 1.51 Reply with quote

Peter has completed his in-depth WinPilot VFR 1.51 review. This reviews the software inside and out both from the ground and in the air, using it extensively in-flight.

You can read the review here
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: WinPilot VFR 1.51 Reply with quote

Where do I buy a Piper Warrior?
PeterB
Regular Visitor

ColinS,

Try the 'what plane' small adds!!!

PS: the one we rent is 25yrs + old!!
pevelius
Occasional Visitor

thanks for the review peter. you prolly had a great time reviewing.

i´ve been following winpilot VFR development (and the lack of it) for a while. it seems that the programmer has put his priorities on the glider version.

nevertheless, winpilot is to my knowledge the best program for flying in europe. a bit costy maybe, but name one thing that is not if you talk about flying as a hobby.

well, summer is time for gliders. vfr will surely get improvements during fall and winter.

PeterB
Regular Visitor

Pevelius,

Glad to hear from you.

Yes, we did have fun reviewing and I hope have brought out all the many features.

I am still very concerned about PDA screen brightness and visibility in cockpit conditions. Can you tell us about your experience and what PDA you now use????

We are now looking at Garmin GPSMAP 295 which has similar scale mapping to winpilot and many of thye navigation features BUT a MUCH better screen contrast, backlight and anti-reflectance!!!

Regards

Peter
pevelius
Occasional Visitor

i use ipaq 3970 with a self-made yoke mount (garmin 295 mount with brodit holder for ipaq). that way the screen is quite close to my (ugly) face and the screen is pretty well protected from glare.

i fly cessna, so the wings block the sun a bit better than with piper.

i agree that the screen could be better. did you try to mess with winpilot map color settings to get more contrast out of it? the default green is not a very good color for a sunny day.

PeterB
Regular Visitor

To all the aeronautical enthusiasts,

Flew across to France today, forgetting that it was 14th July,and all the shops were closed, but we had a geat lunch in Lille.

Navigated VOR plus GPS and were able to compare the moving map of Garmin 295 with the new bright screen of Ipaq 2210 with Memory-Map and Aeroplanner European maps. Garmin won but 2210 is a BIG improvement on Ipaq 3850 and would be recommended for PDA GPS starters.

Hope to bring a more complete report on Garmin 285 shortly.

Excellent weather for VFR flying in the UK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: