Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which handheld?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which handheld?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terrypin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Which handheld? Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a PDA or handheld or whatever they're being called now, and would appreciate some advice please.

My Psion Revo, a cast-off from my son, has expired. Although I previously had years of reliable use from my ancient Psion 3a, I reckon I'd now like to move to a Windows-compatible OS (PocketPC?). Its main use will be as PDA, i.e. calendar, notes, alarm, etc, occasionally synched with my PC. But a key *additional* requirement is that it should be easy to transfer data to/from my GPS 12. And that includes ready availability of a suitable cable.

If it's relevant, I currently use Alan Murphy's excellent GPS Utility to manage my GPS data, particularly for printing maps of finished

walks.

Any recommendations would be appreciated please.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Which handheld? Reply with quote

Terry,

Just about any PDA that has a serial connector will suit your requirements. Be careful as there are a few out there that do not have Serial ports such as the iPaq 1910.

If you are thinking of getting the latest hardware then you might want to check out the HP iPaq 2210 as this has the new version of Windows PPC 2003. You would need to check if this has a serial port as it is not specified in the documentation on the HP website.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Though it's something of a roundabout way of knowing - it looks as if the 2210 does have a serial port. It's listed as compatible with the iPAQ Folding Keyboard, which uses the serial port.

I'm on the wrong PC to have access to the iPAQ developer's site, so I can't check this out for sure, unfortunately.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: