Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PCWorld - Always Good For a Laugh!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PCWorld - Always Good For a Laugh!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too used to walk from one to the other via KFC until I found that KFC employ PC World failed applicants...
hobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face it, if you were actually half decent with PC's etc. would you get a job with PCWorld??? You'd be working in the IT industry earning double what the monkey's there get.

The only thing PC World is good for is the fact they are open and you can pop in when your:

a) Bored
b) Wanna have a touch and play with something before ordering it cheaper from the Internet.
c) Need something in a hurry and don't mind being fleeced to get it
d) On the way to KFC :D
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for a job at PC-World when I was 18 (a part-time one as I was still at school) and got turned down! Didn't even get an interview! 6 months later I'd left school and got a job at Compuserve...

I've always found that amusing, given the level of competence of most of their staff and knowing that, even at 18, I was far more knowledgable than they were!
Snafu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC World is real fun. Last year I heard a salesman tell a potential buyer that "The TomTom" can download the latest maps from the Internet if the road you want is not on it. He also said that it comes with speed cams on it.

I pity the people who got it then having to find out the hard way it doesnt do what they were told it would. Is this misrepresentation? How do you stand if the salesman has given you all the wrong answers?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snafu wrote:
PC World is real fun. Last year I heard a salesman tell a potential buyer that "The TomTom" can download the latest maps from the Internet if the road you want is not on it. He also said that it comes with speed cams on it.

I pity the people who got it then having to find out the hard way it doesnt do what they were told it would. Is this misrepresentation? How do you stand if the salesman has given you all the wrong answers?

Sales staff do it all the time but its proving it that's difficult. Unless you can prove that they misrepresented the product either with a written promise of what it can do etc then you don't have a case.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has a PC World story; here's mine. A couple of years ago I wanted to buy a monitor for my wife's PC. I went to PC World at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol, one evening. Most of the monitors on display weren't connected or if they were, they were badly set up so I spent twenty minutes tweaking them. During this time not one assistant approached me offering help; two were arguing in the next aisle, one was shelf filling, two were superglued to chairs reading magazines, the rest were busy doing very little.
I waited a further ten minutes, still no help was offered, by which time I was feeling a bit off but also mischievous. I phoned my wife for the store's phone number. I dialled the store and watched an assistant pick up the phone. For five minutes I asked to most idiotic questions I could think of about monitors then suggested that if PC World really wanted to sell me one, could they please send an assistant over to the chap in the green coat talking into a phone by the monitor display who's been waiting half an hour for some help.....
She looked across, I gave a cheery wave. She went to the manager who went to the two who had been arguing and sent one over to me. I asked why she hadn't seen me half an hour earlier, she took offence and fetched the manager, I told him what I thought of his staff and their attitude to customers, he spluttered profuse apologies and by the time it all finished I had staff almost sweeping the floor in front of me as I bought and paid for my wife's monitor and walked to the door.

I've just one message for PC World Taunt
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!! The trick is to try and make them bow for you. Laughing Laughing
george_mich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Navman PIN 570 Reply with quote

If you want a Navman PIN 570 with proper advise you can try this site, http://www.e-bowl.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4564
I found it through google and got it delivered next day
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spook

you remind me of a trip to halfords in portsmouth one weekend. as usual the Q was 15 deep with one person serving at a snails pace. call directory enquiries and got the phone number of the store. call and asked to speak to the manager, asked him if he was busy? his reply was not at the moment. i suggested in that case he came and helped serve some customers out the front...well no manager appeared so i left without a purchase..
simon32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P C World eh! part of the Dixsons group, tossers the lot of em.
Cant understand why anyone's suprised at this,one visit should tell you all you need to know.
I hate them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon32 wrote:
I hate them.

You could have fooled me Wink
src
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of PCW I always think of this image Smile

philomeena
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they only ever have one checkout open while the rest of the staff are outside having a smoke

My god!!! Spooky!!!!! Are you referring to the Bolton store or are they all like that Laughing

The only good point about PCW (apart from the occassional bargain) is that they're all so clueless about the products that if you wanna take something back for a refund or exchange you can always get them to crumble and give in easily.

"Can I have a refund?"
"Err.. what seems to be the problem?"
"<say something technical here>"
(hands over cash)

:D
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, COMET, have nothing to do with Dixons
Angelboy_Daz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into PC World months ago to replace s friend's modem lead which had broken. After being told they didn't sell them I fetched one off the shelf! I then asked a question about modems to which the reply was clearly absolute rubbish. When I asked if the assistant had any sort of qualification or knowledge about computers they asked me to leave the store!! Obviously their cover was blown! :-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: