Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice please . new user
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice please . new user

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dickb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Advice please . new user Reply with quote

I hope you can help, im new to this and im a little stuck and i think this is the best way to answer my questions.

I have bought the Pretec CF for use with my hp jornada (500 series) the package comes with Tomtom City maps and the Auto Route 2002. I have it all working fine using my home town and thats fine with the City maps stuff. But what do i need if i want to plan a longer trip, do i really need to load lots of City maps together. If i buy the Tom Tom navigator product, what will this give me. the PDA must be limited on memory, so can the whole of the UK really be down loaded. I just need to know what the best options are for me, I just want something that will enable me to set up a start and end point in the UK and go for it. maybe there are other better products that will give me what i want and work with the Pretec. PLEASE advise... and you can email me ok....

Thanks so much in advance... Dick
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Advice please . new user Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator 2 software is probably the right answer. Not only does it provide maps in files varying from 16MB to 95MB (the latter is called Great_Britain and covers the whole UK mainland), it will route you from any point to any point in a map you have loaded, and provide you with voice prompts when you're driving. The only thing that Navigator 2 won't do is route you between points on different maps - which is why many Navigator users try to use a sufficiently big memory card to have the whole 95MB Great_Britain map loaded.

The problem is finding sufficient storage space on your setup for maps - this is an issue whether you go for TomTom Navigator 2 or other software. As you've bought a CompactFlash GPS, adding a CompactFlash memory card is not possible. However, there is an add-on for at least some Jornadas that allows you to add a MMC card. If you could get that, and use a 128MB MMC, that would be ideal for TomTom Navigator 2.

David
nicknick
Regular Visitor

I had (actually still around somewhere) the 568 plus Pretec (still in use on my Axim). I had TTN1 on it and also had (have) the MMC card battery with a 128M MMC card.

I had problems with the MMC card in the battery slot (lockups of TTN - similar to some of the SD card problems), but it is working OK in the Axim.

I found I could squeeze a 32M map chunk on the 568 (which proved the issue with the MMC card). This will cover a 200 mile square - about 3 hours (or more)driving - so it depends on your to and from.

From Penzance to Birmingham would work, but not Oxford to Cambridge

Nick
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Based on that, it sounds like the MMC battery isn't the way to go, then. Someone else has just posted in this thread about problems with the Jornada / MMC battery and card setup.

I think, Dickb, that you're going to have find sufficient main memory for maps if you want a reliable setup. As your CompactFlash socket is already in use with the GPS, there's no other way of adding memory to your Jornada to my knowledge.

David
Dickb
Occasional Visitor

Seems like im stuck then, I wonder how other PDA users get on, i suspect they all have loads of memory these days.

i just thought that someone out there must have made an expander or something so that two slots could be used...

dick
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

These days, new Pocket PCs almost invariably have a built in SD slot, which most people use for SD memory. That means if you have a CF slot, you can use that for other gadgets (GPS, Bluetooth card, Wireless LAN card) without losing your ability to add additional memory.

With your Jornada, the only way around this problem for in-car navigation is to sell the CF GPS and get a GPS 'mouse' (one that connects via the serial port, such as the one in the TomTom Navigator 2 full pack) and use a CF memory card.

There is the MMC battery for your Jornada - but it sounds like, for navigation, it's a waste of money as it won't be reliable. The whole Jornada line was discontinued at the end of 2002; it seems unlikely there'll be many more updates.

David
Dickb
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by DavidW on 23 June 2003

These days, new Pocket PCs almost invariably have a built in SD slot, which most people use for SD memory. That means if you have a CF slot, you can use that for other gadgets (GPS, Bluetooth card, Wireless LAN card) without losing your ability to add additional memory.

With your Jornada, the only way around this problem for in-car navigation is to sell the CF GPS and get a GPS 'mouse' (one that connects via the serial port, such as the one in the TomTom Navigator 2 full pack) and use a CF memory card.

There is the MMC battery for your Jornada - but it sounds like, for navigation, it's a waste of money as it won't be reliable. The whole Jornada line was discontinued at the end of 2002; it seems unlikely there'll be many more updates.

David

Thanks David and the rest for taking time to write, I guess I should have looked into this a bit more before buying... as it stand i just went out and bought the pretec thinking that that would be my best option. I assumed that whoever had made the hardware would have inluded either a way to add the memory or a way to download maps to the PDA. maybe its not too late for me to send back what i have purchased and get the mouse version..... thx again... (should have come on here first..) dick

nicknick
Regular Visitor

As a PS there is an different HP add on battery which has a PC Card adaptor and MMC slot, but not much use if you've already bought the MMC card battery.

My advice is if you are not going to buy another Pocket PC then try the formatting of the MMC card option - it did improve performance for me (but still some lockups)

Dickb
Occasional Visitor

ok, thx for advice, i have sent back the Pretec device and ordered the tom tom unit, this will suit me better...

dick
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Sounds great - I presume you've ordered the full TomTom Navigator 2 package with the Jornada cable, which will be an excellent solution. If you change your Pocket PC in the future, just buy a new cable!

You'll need a CompactFlash memory card for your maps. 128MB will do for the whole of the UK (which is 95MB), though I'd go for 256MB minimum to give you plenty of breathing space (space for a two or three favourite CDs in MP3 format?). A 256MB CF card is not dear.

David
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

it was ive had lock up problems ive solved this by rolling back the gps driver to tom tom version 1.36 so far today i had it lock up three times to day on the motorway so i just lift the pretec slightly out of the slot turn off and turn on then reinsert the cf card and it fies up i think ill try putting the pretec driver on and see if its any better but if you 38 tonne scania swerving a little its just me the dam thing will have locked up again

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: