Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ttn5 postcode, does it really work with the full 7 digits?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ttn5 postcode, does it really work with the full 7 digits?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: ttn5 postcode, does it really work with the full 7 digits? Reply with quote

as the title says. is it me or does ttn5 not work the way they claim with the postcodes? mines doesn't recognise the full postcode but only part of it. it still asks for a street name which really defeats the purpose of the "feature" in the 1st place.

is there a way to get FULL postcode support?

cheers
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full 7 digit postcode data comes with the V5 maps, not the free V5 software update. If you have the full maps, you will have the full postcode data.
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure there is a folder called TOMTOM in the same place as the zip folder is installed.

And yes, it does do 7 digit BUT it's not like the UK Digitools one as it will only refer you to the street and not the particular part of the street the postcode refers to which can be a PITA on a 5 mile long street.
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i ask for postcode it only does the 1st 5 digits. even if i type in the 7 digits it still wants me to tell it the street name and house number.

i have a tomtom folder in my sd card. is that the folder you mean? i put tomtom on the sd card as per the instructions when i bought it.

cheers
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said by tim eariler you must have a file called ZIP on the storage card and is only available with the new maps once you have thr ZIP folder on you sd card you either create a new folder called tomtom or copy the zip file from the sd card to the my device in file explorer all this is done on the pda you should then have full post codes

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i don't have a zip folder in my sd card. so what have i bought then? i assumed tomtom 5 when i bought it was the full maps. have i missed something? or do i need to buy more maps? excuse my ignornace to the subject please.

cheers
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well i don't have a zip folder in my sd card. so what have i bought then? i assumed tomtom 5 when i bought it was the full maps. have i missed something? or do i need to buy more maps? excuse my ignornace to the subject please.

Where did you buy it from? Are you sure that what you have purchased is the legal version?

Quote:
i have a tomtom folder in my sd card. is that the folder you mean? i put tomtom on the sd card as per the instructions when i bought it.

Do you mean that the instructions you received with the product actually said to create a TomTom folder on the SD card?

Roger
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, crossed purposes here. i bought it from amazon and i found the folder and all is well now. it's just working differently from what i would expect as was said earlier. if this is what they call full 7 digit support they can shove it. as was said, on a 5 milestreet it's a PITA.

thanks for the help.

cheers
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptorheli2 wrote:
sorry, crossed purposes here. i bought it from amazon and i found the folder and all is well now. it's just working differently from what i would expect as was said earlier. if this is what they call full 7 digit support they can shove it. as was said, on a 5 milestreet it's a PITA.

thanks for the help.

cheers

How did you expect it to work? If you haven't got a House Number it will still get quite close, most of the time.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
carina16a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: TTN5 Postcode Reply with quote

I am still puzzled as to how to get full postcodes with TTN5. I use a Palm Tungsten T3 with Tomtom wired GPS and cannot get it to accept the full postcodes. In fact, it doesn't accept shortened postcodes either. It accepts the first 5 digits of the code and then wants a street name. And simply inputting SO21 1 gives me Winchester but no closer to my village. Is this all I can expect?
One solution seems to be, as indicated earlier in this forum, to add a zip file. Where is this file? if I can get it, do I jsut copy that to the SD card? And does this solution apply to my Palm setup?

My TT5 is the upgrade to the earlier system supplied legitimately from a UK supplier and is regisetered with Tomtom.
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the "Navigate to >post-code feature"??, or the "Navigate to > Address" feature??

It SOUNDS liek you are trying to Navigate to an address, which allows you to enter the 1st 4 or 5 digits of the post code.....

Try "Navigate to" ">" "Postcode"

Just a thought, as I 1st fell for this
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.....When you loaded the maps on to the memory card (or did you buy a pre-loaded card?), did you include the "map" called Zip code?....if not, run the tomtom software on the PC (With the Palm connected) and go through tthe "install maps" process, and include the "zipcode" map.....I *THINK* it needs to be in the same directory as the GB map (But not IN the GB map).

make sure you have a directory on the root of the memory card, called "tomtom".....it does not need to have any files in it.

When I installed mine, it created a "tomtom" directory, the only file in it being a "readme" file.....it said "do not deleate this diectory"!!!!

Hope this helps...
carina16a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: TT5 Palm Postcodes Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. The original SD card was the pre-loaded one from Tomtom, but I have placed the update on a 512M SD card as I wanted both GB and France maps on it (and it took a lifetime to download these to the card - upwards of 18 hours in total!!!)
Looking at the card, the directories now on it are:
1tn, Palm, TomTom, TomTom France Map, TomTom Great_Britain Map, and TomTom Great_Britainpostal Map.
The latter directory has 2 files, Great_Britain.Postal and setup.dat

The TomTom directory has the following files:
data05.chk
data05.vif
data.chk
Munich.bin
setup.dat

I can also post details of the contents of the other directories if you need them, but I am bemused by the 'Munich.bin' file - what is that and where has it come from???

The answer to your other suggestion is that I do use the Navigate>Postcode path to get to postcodes.

Hope you can sort this one out....
Thanks,
Carina16a
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know where the TomTom Great_Britainpostal Map Folder came from but the Great_Britain.Postal file should be in a Folder named "zip".

The zip Folder should be at the same level as the Map Folders and the TomTom Folder.

It should not have taken more than 2 hours to load what you have installed.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
carina16a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell why the install took so long, and I am loath to try repeating it as it takes so long.
I have found a folder called 'zip'! I was looking in the wrong place. I was looking in the SD card for the folder but instead find 'zip' on the nap CD that came with the upgrade. It is actually in \nveur1\map
In this folder I see two files called Great_Britainpostal.CAB and Great_Britainpostal.INI. The first of these is identified as a WinRAR archive. What files shoud be downloaded to the SD card? Do I need to unzip the WinRAR archive and download the 2 files that gives?

Again, thanks for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: