Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN3 routing vs. TTN5?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN3 routing vs. TTN5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwgames
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: TTN3 routing vs. TTN5? Reply with quote

Currently using TTN3.

Today, I went to Amersham (near London) from near Newbury (oxfordshire).
Passed my test only a couple of months ago, so I didn't want to go on the M40, instead opting for 'avoid M40' when we got close to the M40, and instead went on the A40 (old M40, runs parallel).

All well and good on the way there.

On the way back, I was in a different place from my destination on the way there. It first tried to route me along the M40, so I hit avoid M40... Then tried to get me on the M4, so I hit avoid M4, and it gave me a horrible route, claiming a two hour journey, when I got there in 1hr30.
Just wanted to get back on the A40, and by this time I was way off original route.
Eventually had to get the paper(!) map out to work it out, going via Wycombe.

I'm off to Bristol next weekend, and I'd rather not have a fight with TT on the way. My mate has TTN5 on the Palm, and on the way back, it tried to take us down a road, that you cant see because it has a brick wall in front - been bricked off, and its been like that for YEARS.

So, I'm hesistant to use TTN5 based on that experience, given that I'm new to driving, especially to Bristol.

But.. I really could do with the 'avoid motorways' feature of TTN5.

Is the routing really that bad? I've heard mass complaints about the routing and map quality data..?
Looks like it might be time to get a map out and note down road numbers, the 20th C way of doing it Sad
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the change preferences there is a 'planning preferences' which offers a 'ask when I plan' option allowing you to select the type of route you want, one of which is 'only avoiding motorways'.

Try that option.

Why avoid the motorways? Youv'e passed your test so should be up to motorway driving standard plus they are quite straight & no roundabouts (except on a very low number of juntions. I only know of one roundabout that is offically a motorway but there may be more.) etc.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can avoid motorways in ttn3 by setting the preferred speed settings on motorways to 10mph Smile ..If your going Through Bristol city centre Confused ttn3 maps are way out of date because of the ever changing one way streets and the introduction of bus lanes.
Dave
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwgames wrote
Quote:
But.. I really could do with the 'avoid motorways' feature of TTN5.

You may not find this option any use because, at the moment, the "Avoid Motorways" feature of TTN5 uses the "Shortest Route" option and not the "Fastest Route" as you would expect.

So when you select "Avoid Motorways" what you actually get is the shortest route avoiding motorways.

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: