Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help! QCT Files disappeared!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! QCT Files disappeared!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikesusangray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Help! QCT Files disappeared! Reply with quote

Please help!

I'm traveling with my QCT files on my laptop, Windows XP, running MM 4.2.3. I had tried to do a map merge that didn't work out correctlyso I went back to map list, intending to refresh my map list. I checked to make sure I had the right directory, then clicked to load all maps.

AND MY SCREEN WENT BLANK.

And now the directory where I had my maps is suddenly empty. There is a group of small files with a QED extension - but the big files - over a gigabyte - are simply GONE.

Checked my recycle bin. Nothing there.

I don't have backups with me, so I am in major trouble.

Does anyone have an idea what may have ahppened? I can't believe that this much data can simply evaporate!

Thanks for any help,

Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you merge map files the originals are deleted. I don't know if this is because they are really merged together on the disk to form the new file or if they are simply deleted once a new file has been created.
mikesusangray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
When you merge map files the originals are deleted. I don't know if this is because they are really merged together on the disk to form the new file or if they are simply deleted once a new file has been created.

Well ... OK. But why on earthdid it erase every last file inthe directory - including a number of completely unreltaed maps??

You now,somehow I have this sinking feeling aht I must have accidentally reased the file, and that MM was somehow keeping them in a cache of some kind, which I then emptied. Is this possible?

Oh well ... better luck next time ... this was a pretty tough blow, though.

Mike
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you merge a map the originals ARE NOT DELETED, just a new one created. Where you may have gone wrong is in the 'refresh map list' box there is a 'clear previously loaded maps' box which if checked will delete all maps in the folder displayed at the bottom of the box (mine is C:\documents and Settings\"User Name"\My Documents\map overlays. If this folder is the one you have loaded the maps into the they will be deleted if the box is checked.

I keep all my maps in C:\maps. When I merge a map I use Windows Explorer to move it to the maps folder BEFORE refreshing the map list especially if I am going to check the 'Delete all Previously Loaded Maps' box (UNCHECKED by default). That way I only load the maps I want & excess maps are stored in C:\All Maps. If I want tempory access to them I will add directory C:\all maps, use them then remove the directory & refresh. Removing a directory DOES NOT delete the data.

Norman

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: