Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go - first Edition!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go - first Edition!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go - first Edition! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been away almost 9 months, but back for some of your expert help please.

I have not used my Tom Tom for about 5 months; when I switched it on (with the card inserted) the screen showed an animation of the card coming out of the slot and then a RED cross being drawn across the card. I plugged the TomTom into the PC went on the internet to their website and went through the HELLISH help/support minefield.

I followed the FAQ's (re-install) and the card will not allow a re-install due "FULL".
I tried getting rid of some languages and some Europe maps, but it will still not accept a re-load.

As you can imagine guys, I am very, very reluctant to wipe the card clean and go for a FULL re-install off the website, albeit it says there's a later version.

I have tried all combinations to try and get the machine to "fire up" bit with no luck...... including a hot reset with paper-clip... absolutely no difference......... the deadly RED CROSS animation across the mini-card.

When I plug TomTom into my PC via the USB cable, the "Removable Disc G" shows absolutely nothing in where one would normally see a load of files (right of the File and Folder Tasks).

Like an idiot, I did not back up the damn thing onto the PC when I first bought it, so there's no back-up to play with!

Trying to Backup/restore was unsuccesfull, as it cannot see what to Backup/restore, besides saying card full.

Request your help............ I have a funeral on Wednesday and then a driving holiday coming up next week, and this is not the time for the Tom Tom to fail me!
Hope you can give some expert advice chaps.

Cheers

TG
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had the original TTG it came with everything on the CD. You should be able to install the V4.xx and the maps back to it's original state.

I would reformat the card and install everything again.

I wouldn't worry about upgrading to v5.xx until you've got it working.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: TTG Original Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your quick reply, and advice.

I did indeed get the original CD-ROM - no problem there. The purchase was all above board.

So I shall bite the bullet, and re-format the little memory card and re-install from the original CD........... first I have to find that CD!

Is there a special procedure to format the TTG memory card Richard; how does one do that without making a hash of things?

Cheers

TG
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Right-Click the TomTom Drive and select Format. Just make sure that you select the correct Drive!

You can do it in the TTG or in a Card Reader.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks Richard Reply with quote

Thanks again Richard........... I shall double-check it's the TomTom card/drive I format, and not any other.

Take care.

TG
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Houston..... we have a problem! Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

Did the format OK. Downloaded the lasted update, saved to desktop, install......... "quit" so that the TTG was 'stand alone'......... fired up OK Accepted the T&C's ......... "No Maps Found".......... another little screen tempted me with "Download Maps"....... but all selections were greyed-out.

CANCEL.......... it switched off.

I tried the restore function.......... said, "restore successful"......... well up to a point it was; a few files, NO MAPS though.

I tried over-writing the latest version with the old V1.0 from the backup CD but again I was stumpted, NO MAPS.

I've never had much luck with my TTG from the very beginning - had to buy a re-transmittter because of the car I have (Citreon C5 with that heat repelling windscreen stuff). TTG still lost sats and gave crap instructions when apparently working........ so having formatted the memory chip and losing the maps (only UK) is sad but as the thing did not fire up after sitting idle for 5 moths it's no great shakes...... just lost nearly £500 on this toy!!!! Maddening, but sh*t happens.

I will write to TTG and see if they can give me a new memory chip WITH MAPS as a gesture of goodwill......... we shall see.

Cheers

TG
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've installed the application, but have you actually installed the maps?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format the card again, put CD in the drive, connect the GO to the PC, install the application, install the maps

See if SD is working, if it is, connect the GO to the PC, install the downloaded upgrade.
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: TTG Original - format memory chip Reply with quote

Hello Eldar,

Many thanks adding your expertise to my TTG problem.

I shall do as you say, and then see what the score is.

When I was doing that sort of procedure before, when it came to the point of "install" all the option said was, "Install Application" and it did not specifically say maps............ and I must admit, after the system loaded there were no maps showing when I looked via MY COMPUTER and opened up TTG removeable disk.

Nothing to lose egh.

Thanks ever so much for your time Eldar, et al.

Cheers

TG
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cause you were installing upgrade. Use the original CD:
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go - first Edition! Reply with quote

Hello again Eldar,

I followed your kind instructions, but regret no further forward..... "No Maps Found".

I formatted the SD.......... inserted TTG installation CD and went for, "Install the application"........... it went through the process.

Knowing it did not install the maps, I went MY COMPUTER and opened up the TTG CDROM to find the MAP/S.
They were in the MAP folder, then the GB folder - that was all I wanted, so the three files in there were copied (or so I thought) to the, "removable disk".

I thus thought the MAP of GB would be there when I went back to TTG as an isolated unit......... NOPE!

I wonder if I should copy every file individualy from the CDROM, instead of just relying on "Install Application" ?

I hate to rob you of more time, but have you any further ideas of how I get this TTG into Version 1.00 before I try for 'gold'...... and update the application features....... ha ha!!!

Cheers

TG
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I'm easily confused. Did you use the original CD and selected the Add/Remove Maps option (second option from the top in the picture I posted)?
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: TTG Original - version one Reply with quote

Hello Eldar,

Thanks for sticking with this problem I have.

To tell the truth I have been using the back-up copy of my original CDROM (I just cannot find the original amongst all pile of CD's I have....... I swear to God it's not a pirate copy) ......

I did not use Add/Remove option to get rid or add the MAPS I found within the CDROM......... when I'd formatted the SD I then used the TTG CDROM to, "install the application". It installed the application (the TTG unit fired up later [isolated form the PC] and asked me to "Accept the Terms and Conditions"), but not the complete package as I thought it would.

No matter how I tried, it just does not want to download the MAPS from the CDROM (I only tried the GB maps, as that's the ones I wanted).

I shall try that ADD/REMOVE option this time, and add the MAPS (hopefully)

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers

TG
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you don't use the Add Maps option, it wouldn't add any maps, would it? The Application and The Maps are two different things.
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: TTG Original Reply with quote

Hello Eldar,

Many thanks for your patience.

It would appear I have managed to get the device to accept ADD MAPS and indeed the "application" for I had to go through another Activation process via www.ttcode.com and insert the device code which the TTG displayed after that reload, and then the original three-group, fifteen character code.

I now have TTG "working" and trying to capture some sats. down here in deep East Sussex. It took about 5 minutes to get 6 sats. but lost the lot for about 30 seconds and then 4 came back - very sensitive!

Now that I have an active unit, do you reckon Eldar it will cope with the on-line upgrade??!!

Thanks so much for helping.

Cheers

TG

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: